Video on Episode 1 of House of the Dragon

Westeros

Been a long time since we’ve done one of these, and suffice it to say the combination of rusty recollection plus a bunch of new equipment made this a bit of a trial. Add a very lively puppy plus sundry other things, and this video is later than we hoped, but it’s done. As we remarked in our “Not a Review” of the first six episodes, we’re not really reviewing the show (as we did—and then Linda did solo after I quit—with Game of Thrones) but instead discussing some of the choices and changes made in the adaptation, as well as providing some background information and (of course) dragon facts.

You can see the episode below:

View the full article

24 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

You said Daemon claimed Caraxes in 105 AC. I always had the impression this happened earlier, so why do you think it was that late?

Yes, that kind of confused me, too. Not sure if that even makes sense in context unless they have some secret tables of dragonrider claiming dates.

Checked the Caraxes thing. Daemon is first mentioned as Caraxes' rider when he takes Mysaria to Dragonstone in the wake of Rhaenyra's investiture ... but there is no indication that this was the time he first mounted him.

In fact, one assumes that this happened years earlier. Aemon died in 92 AC, so that's when Caraxes was free for a new rider. Daemon was only eleven at the time, so he may have waited a couple of years, but one imagines that Viserys mounting Balerion in 93 AC may have motivated him to mount his own dragon shortly thereafter. I'd imagine that at the latest he claimed Caraxes around the time he was knighted, given Dark Sister, and married to Rhea Royce, which would have been in 97 AC.

At the latest Daemon would have wanted to have a dragon when his father Baelon died and it was about to come to blows with him and Corlys over the succession.

18 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

You said Daemon claimed Caraxes in 105 AC. I always had the impression this happened earlier, so why do you think it was that late?

A slight misrecollection on my part! 105 AC is the earliest date where he's explicitly said to be his rider, but yes, he certainly must have claimed him some time earlier.

I commented on it. It's an easy score when it's Randyll Tarly saying it, but the first time the allusion is made is when Brienne and Catelyn are talking in ACoK, which gives it a very different cast then when picking on everyone's favorite ASoIaF sexist. And anyways, Victarion Greyjoy thinks the thought first in AFfC. With very similar wording, suggesting in fact that it's a common aphorism in Westeros.

The violence was over the top, though, but that's a bit of a blunt instrument to highlight "this is a really decadent time" that the show runners have repeated in numerous interviews.

By the way, @Ran what do we make with the terms from the Great Council - lords paramout we know, of course, but 'lords vassal' is new. Do you know if that comes from George? It is actually a kind of interesting term to describe a lord who is not directly sworn to the Iron Throne and/or lacks other privileges and rights granted to a lord paramout (the Lord of Stokeworth would still be a lord vassal in that context, never mind that they are directly sworn to the Iron Throne).

Could be something one actually starts to use when talking about such lords rather than the vaguer terms like minor lords, smaller lords, etc. I actually do like that term.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Show-only. They should have used "lords bannermen", IMO, but for whatever reason they did not.

Certainly a term we already know from the books. But aren't lords bannermen not only a specific group among the lords sworn to a great house? I mean, are the Osgreys and Webbers truly 'bannermen' of the Rowans ... or not merely, well, vassals? We only get 'bannermen' for the pretty big lordly houses/landed knights who are directly sworn to Winterfell, Casterly Rock, etc.

Archived