Why does Europe and Australia produce better television actors?

NickGOT456

Most of GOT is British.

Back in 2019 I never watched any of Joel Kinnaman's movies.

When I first saw the trailer for the first season I was like "Who is that All American squared jaw hero looking guy".

I then find out the All American astronaut's actor came from Sweden.

The pretty boy astronaut is from New Zealand.

The gruff first American woman on the Moon is played by a British actress.

Why do actors from Britain, AUS, and NZ frequently beat out American actors and actresses?

Does Europe and the Commonwealth nations invest more in arts education for young people?

Are American TV actors and actresses more interested in doing reality television?

I can't comment on the American system (or all that much on the British system, despite my niece being in the industry), but...

Tones of acting schools, and classes/degrees at regular colleges and universities.

Vibrant theatre scene throughout the country, for all levels of talent.

Plenty of shitty soap operas for learning on the job.

Relatively cheap.

I'm not convinced that the talent is particularly higher, but the expectations of the profession may be different, especially in the early stages of someone's career. US TV/Film seem to expect actors to play largely the same role, but with different nuance, whilst British and Australasian actors seem more likely to treat each different character as a completely different character, rather than a variation on the theme.

Though I suspect the principal answer is observer bias and the odd high profile series where it's written into contracts to hire local talent (GoT, Harry Potter etc).

I think I read somewhere that UK actors are more likely to broaden their experience by doing a lot more stage work, there is of course the whole RSC thing and that shakespeare legacy, whereas US actors tend to stick to tv as a way into acting. 

Either way I've always thought that acting in the UK is pretty elitist, while there are a few exceptions, most of the famous UK actors come from good families with lots of cash behind them, which you would probably need to afford the best schools, go to the important parties and get to know the right people. Plus there is the whole nepotism thing, how many actors are just children of someone already famous (although this is actually more prevalent in the US I feel)

British actors from ethnic minority backgrounds have tended to leave for the USA in search of more and better roles. Idris Elba, especially, has spoken about the opportunities he found in the US that weren't there for him in Britain. Daniel Kaluuya and Benedict Wong are other examples. 

Conversely, his Wire co-star Dominic West also sought out the USA to get away from his posh public school background. He's correct that in the UK he would never have been cast as someone like McNulty. 

Being a theatre fan, I like to think that the rigours of stage life and physical training in the early career - and the attempts made to find new ways to say the same line every night - can add a kind of intensity to an actor that they don't get from lots of TV. But afaik, the USA has plenty of lively regional theatres, some with resident companies, some without. 

TBH, I think a large part of the reason US film and TV is full of Brits is the unique space we occupy in American history and culture, bordering on otherness, but in a familiar, non-threatening way. A defeated enemy who can be both mocked and yet has a sort of odd prestige. 

13 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Being I theatre fan, I like to think that the rigours of stage life and physical training in the early career - and the attempts made to find new ways to say the same line every night - can add a kind of intensity to an actor that they don't get from lots of TV. But afaik, the USA has plenty of lively regional theatres, some with resident companies, some without.

Oh that bit's always been the case.

"Films make you famous
TV makes you rich
But it takes theatre to make you GOOD"

Pity  can't remember who said it - or if I even go the quote right

14 minutes ago, dog-days said:

British actors from ethnic minority backgrounds have tended to leave for the USA in search of more and better roles. Idris Elba, especially, has spoken about the opportunities he found in the US that weren't there for him in Britain. Daniel Kaluuya and Benedict Wong are other examples. 

I didn't even realise he was British! A look at his IMDB suggests he spent a looong time jobbing it on crappy ITV dramas, even doing a stint on the Bill. That kind of sums up the career path for an acting brit

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I didn't even realise he was British! A look at his IMDB suggests he spent a looong time jobbing it on crappy ITV dramas, even doing a stint on the Bill. That kind of sums up the career path for an acting brit

Minus the eventual fame and fortune based on what I've heard of the lives of most actors, I'd guess.

Wong comes from Eccles near Manchester no less, and still has a fair trace of the accent. Ah, Eccles. Home of my favourite old-style baked good. 

Archived