Lord Tyrell during The Dance

As I read F&B again I noticed something about the Tyrells during that time. The family tree of house Tyrell is a bit confusing during the reign of Virserys I tbh. We know that Lord Martyn Tyrell was master of coin for Jaehaerys I Targaryen. Then Lord Beesbury takes his place till the King's death and he is still MoC for Virserys in 129 AC.

We also know that Lord Matthos Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, was there with a massive host during the Great Council of 101 AC, when Jahaerys was still alive, so he must be the next Lord of Highgarden after Martyn Tyrell. Then we know that when Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen toured the south in 112 AC, she was courted by the son of Lord Tyrell, among many others. So this must be the son of Matthos Tyrell, the next in line for Highgarden. But when the Greens asked for their support in The Dance we know that Lord Lyonel Tyrell, the guy that conquered Dorne with Daeron I Targaryen, was an infant and his mother kept them out of the Civil War.

So, there is gap there. The unknown son of Matthos Tyrell that courted Rhaenyra back in 112 AC must have died very young and so his son became Lord of Highgarden in a very young age I guess?

Anyway, since Martin is writing The Tyrells as being weak in influence before the Dance and gaining much more influence after the Reign of Aegon III I hope we will ge tmuch more info about them in the second half of F&B, like we did about Leo Tyrell in Dunk&Egg. 

When Lord Corlys Velaryon sued for peace, Lord Lyonel Hightower initially intended to raise an army to renew the war. However, Lord Hightower's younger brother Garmund was a page at Highgarden, where he served as a companion to the young Lord of Highgarden and his mother. According to Grand Maester Munkun's True Telling, the Tyrells finally bestirred themselves and forbid the Hightowers from renewing the war without their leave, or Garmund would pay for his brother's defiance with his life.[

The Tyrells are seen by many in the Reach as upjump and not deserving of their status as the Great House ruling the region. During the first century of Targaryen rule, we see that several Tyrell lords are eager to please the Targaryens and to cement their place as rightful overlord of the Reach (Harlen during the First Dornish War, Theo consolidating their power and claim in the Reach, Martyn as master of coin).

Obviously, the Tyrells were seen as rather weak during the Dance as their lord was a babe and their vassals fought each other as some took Rhaenyra/Blacks side and others took Aegon II/Greens side.

4 hours ago, Dreadscythe95 said:

The family tree of house Tyrell is a bit confusing during the reign of Virserys I tbh.

The average per generation is around 22.5 for the Targaryens and Starks. Theo was "young" in 10 AC, so maybe 18 years old. Let's say Bertrand was born around 14 AC, Martyn around 37 AC, Martyn's son around 60 AC, Martyn's grandson around 82 AC, the great-grandson around 105 AC and Lyonel around 128 AC. So Matthos could have been Martyn's son or grandson. Maybe Lyonel's father was born a bit earlier, so he would be the one courting Rhaenyra.

41 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

The average per generation is around 22.5 for the Targaryens and Starks. Theo was "young" in 10 AC, so maybe 18 years old. Let's say Bertrand was born around 14 AC, Martyn around 37 AC, Martyn's son around 60 AC, Martyn's grandson around 82 AC, the great-grandson around 105 AC and Lyonel around 128 AC. So Matthos could have been Martyn's son or grandson. Maybe Lyonel's father was born a bit earlier, so he would be the one courting Rhaenyra.

Yeah it was Lyonel's father for sure. Yet he must have died still close to 30s, he couldn't be far older.

2 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

The Tyrells are seen by many in the Reach as upjump and not deserving of their status as the Great House ruling the region. During the first century of Targaryen rule, we see that several Tyrell lords are eager to please the Targaryens and to cement their place as rightful overlord of the Reach (Harlen during the First Dornish War, Theo consolidating their power and claim in the Reach, Martyn as master of coin).

Obviously, the Tyrells were seen as rather weak during the Dance as their lord was a babe and their vassals fought each other as some took Rhaenyra/Blacks side and others took Aegon II/Greens side.

Yeah, that;s obvious in the book. What I am discussing is the gap of one Lord of Highgarden during the days of The Dance.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:54 PM, Denam_Pavel said:

Matthos and his heir could have died in a hunting/boating accident or something, GRRM didn't want Tyrell around so Hightower could be a part of the Dance independently for a while.

Yeah, this is the plot device, true. Martin just never clarified what happened to the Lord of Highgarden before ther Dance.

Archived