UK Politics - Democracy for the 0.27% - Worst Past The Post edition

Which Tyler

Yes, your energy bill is going up 80%. But remember you mustn't ask your employer for more than a 3% wage rise or inflation will be your fault, you greedy peons.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

Yes, your energy bill is going up 80%. But remember you mustn't ask your employer for more than a 3% wage rise or inflation will be your fault, you greedy peons.

Meanwhile....

Executive pay up 39% since pandemic as financial rewards to top bosses dwarf worker pay amid worsening crisis

The pay of the bosses of Britain’s biggest companies surged by 39 per cent in the aftermath of the pandemic.

Median pay for a FTSE 100 chief executive rose from £2.46m in 2020 to £3.41m in 2021. Chief executives’ pay has also surpassed the £3.25m median recorded in 2019.

The study, by the High Pay Centre think-tank and the TUC, reveals the pay gap between executives and regular full-time employees is growing with the median FTSE 100 chief executive now paid 109 times the median UK full time worker, up from 79 times in 2020 and 107 times in 2019.

I love how the media is full of helpful tips to save energy that will save you about £1 a week when your bill is going up by £30 a week, most of which is the standing charge so you'll have to pay it anyway.

Not. Helping.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Christmas is going to be a drab affair this year. Nobody is covering their house with fairy lights that's for certain. 

I think you might have found the one good thing about rising energy prices.

Don't get me wrong, people can celebrate christmas all year long for all I care. But don't force your bloody Santa in Vegas light show on me.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I think you might have found the one good thing about rising energy prices.

Don't get me wrong, people can celebrate christmas all year long for all I care. But don't force your bloody Santa in Vegas light show on me.

It’s your lot’s fault that people have to do the stupid decorations in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s your lot’s fault that people have to do the stupid decorations in the first place.

Horses have very little to do with Christmas. You are thinking of reindeers. Do all hoofed animals look alike to you? 

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Horses have very little to do with Christmas. You are thinking of reindeers. Do all hoofed animals look alike to you? 

Well, not you specifically.  Really just blaming y'all for Vicky's choice of spouse and the seasonal fire-hazardous trend in seasonal home decor that proceeded therefrom.

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not horses, Germans. It’s all your fault! Had to bring back that ancient Egyptian tradition that you Christians totally didn’t rip off.

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not horses, Germans. It’s all your fault! Had to bring back that ancient Egyptian tradition that you Christians totally didn’t rip off.

The house decorating with lights on the outside, lighting up the entire place, like it was happy hour at a brothel is most certainly an American thing, that found its way across the pond. I mean, when I was little, there was no fucking Santa in a sleigh advertising "Ho, ho, hoes 'r' us"

I mean leave it to Muricans to take some tradition, to up it and make it look cheap and tacky. I kinda blame Chevy Chase.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The house decorating with lights on the outside, lighting up the entire place, like it was happy hour at a brothel is most certainly an American thing, that found its way across the pond. I mean, when I was little, there was no fucking Santa in a sleigh advertising "Ho, ho, hoes 'r' us"

I mean leave it to Muricans to take some tradition, to up it and make it look cheap and tacky. I kinda blame Chevy Chase.

Wait, you don’t know this? German settlers introduced Christmas as practiced today to America. The Puritans hated it. I assumed they also introduced it to the UK.  

Again, America just took those Christmas traditions and upped by 1.000. American Christmas decoration is something, I find about as tasteful as the interior design of Trump's bathroom with all that glitter. 

Santa as he is known today is also an American, let's call it re-packaging. Fucking Coca Cola. 

1823 - A Visit From St. Nicholas, a/k/a The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore did Santa Claus and the reindeer and chimneys and presents / a/k/a St. Nicholas >ahem< long before Coca Cola.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43171/a-visit-from-st-nicholas

https://parade.com/1136533/jessicasager/twas-the-night-before-christmas-words/

Beyond that though, I am deeply anxious for our British friends this winter.  Those on the continent too, but I think continental friends will do better in a lot of ways.

But the energy crisis along with the all food shortages from climate change crises of drought and wildfires.

Not good here either, particularly for food -- and probably energy too, since so many of the rivers that provided the dammed power for the electrical grid are essentially dry due to drought too.  And wildfires taking out the crops.

Archived