UK Politics - Democracy for the 0.27% - Worst Past The Post edition

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I thought it was initially moronic, but then realised that dramatically increasing the number of people killed on the motorway will reduce demand for heat and electricity, and creation additional churn in the job marketplace, so the economic benefits could offset that.

There's an old economics joke asking whether anything that ends up killing people should be counted as a negative or a positive externality.

It's definitely a positive for the funeral sector. I think the funeral sector lobby needs to get far more active in stopping govt investment in life prolonging and life preserving work. Honestly, if functional immortality is achieved what's going to happen to all those jobs, all those families so dependant on death for their livelihoods? It's about time the govt implemented policies that help keep the funeral sector afloat.

Hmmm two birds with one stone. People talking about the need for warming banks in the UK for people who can't afford to warm their homes so need to go somewhere to stay warm, but where can they go? More deaths means more cremations, the waste heat from crematoriums can be used to heat nearby shelters where people can gather to keep warm. It's a win-win.

legalise Euthanasia for the terminally ill / those with chronic conditions.  Not only would this help the funeral industry, but also ease the burden on the NHS and social care.  Financially its a win.  and morally with safeguards its also the right thing to do.  Although the Tories do like people to suffer....

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Liz Truss apparently looking at axing British motorway speed limits.

I thought it was initially moronic, but then realised that dramatically increasing the number of people killed on the motorway will reduce demand for heat and electricity, and creation additional churn in the job marketplace, so the economic benefits could offset that.

Our motorways have speed limits??

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Not fast enough to alleviate the current energy bill crisis, though.

It wouldn't alleviate it anyway, as because of the way Ofgem sets prices, wind generated electricity is priced the same as gas generated electricity. 

25 minutes ago, mormont said:

It wouldn't alleviate it anyway, as because of the way Ofgem sets prices, wind generated electricity is priced the same as gas generated electricity. 

I think I heard / read they are planning / thinking of decoupling green electricity prices from Gas generated

Corruption as usual.

Get "the Government" to pay for an expensive lawyer to act on Johnson's behalf and to give him legitimacy. Have them produce some sort of statement in defence of Johnson. Big up what it says while refusing to let anyone see it. Get the Tory supporting parts of the media to join in. Have them declare:

The report is absolutely devastating for the investigation ... Censoring Johnson will paralyse democracy ... Ministers will never be able to say anything if they think they can be found in contempt by accidentally giving the wrong answer.

What a disaster it will be if Ministers have to be careful not to say things that are not true to Parliament! How shocking that they cannot lie and be immune from being called out on it! How impossible it will be if they have to quickly correct the record if it turns out that something they said was false!

The defence seems basically to once more be that Johnson is a fool rather than a knave. The "knowingly" in "never knowingly mislead parliament" is being asked to do a lot of work.

More generally, it does feel that the Tory establishment is worried that Truss will be a disaster and is increasingly hankering to have Johnson back again. But given that they are worried that he would lose his seat in a recall by-election if he is censored, then surely they understand that he is now an electoral liability?

In legal news, the Tories seemingly consider it a good use of public cash to spend £130,000 on legal advice intended to undermine a Parliamentary inquiry into whether a Prime Minister who has already resigned in disgrace misled the House. Naturally they then leaked that advice to the Telegraph and the Mail who then got all breathless about how this was ‘devastating’ for the inquiry, which it, erm, isn’t.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/02/ex-commons-standards-chief-chris-bryant-hits-out-over-partygate-legal-advice-reports

22 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I’m relying on the Laura Kuensberg parody account for my news, these days. Which the account acknowledges, as it’s hard to parody this shitshow

Y'all need to get back on the beheading bandwagon.

Archived