UK Politics - Democracy for the 0.27% - Worst Past The Post edition

Which Tyler

The country have the same confidence in Truss dealing woth the cost of living crisis as the board, from Yougov -

Just 2 per cent of Britons and 5 per cent of Tories said they had a lot of confidence, with 17 per cent and 30 per cent saying they had some confidence

17 hours ago, mormont said:

In case any non-UK boarders would like to get a handle on what life in Tory Britain is like, watch the clip below.

This is from what is still the most widely watched daytime TV programme in the country, by the way.

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, British media comes around and invents the lottery version of bum fight over energy bills. 

With many of the cabinet appointments being announced there seems to be speculation that Truss won't appoint anyone who supported Sunak, which is probably unlikely to help party unity.

Sacked ministers usually go quietly but I don't think Johnny Mercer or his wife got that memo.

Did they say something about meritocracy?! They totally lack any form of self-awareness don't they?

Last time I saw that much denial, when the third Earl of mormont claimed he had no seat in the house of lords. :leaving:

Boris Johnson’s last fart is still lingering in Downing Street, and already the first hint of dissent.

The wife of MP Johnny Mercer has taken to Twitter in fury over her husband being removed as Minister for Veterans Affairs (the position done away with), which she says Truss said he’d keep in exchange for his vote.

People replying saying she shoukd atop posting, which she seems disinclined to do.

edit: i see Williamjm has already posted about another tweet of hers.

Plenty of other posts. Here she refers to Truss as “that total muppet”.

This forum needs a popcorn smiley. 

Anyway, I am still not over the fact, that Ms. Cornelius-Mercer used the term meritocracy relating to the current Tory party. Their entire frontbench is basically the exact opposite of that. And it's been this way for years. I mean bozos cabinet...

This is nothing that all of you here in the UK don't know --

There are a couple of other small forum/bogs I attend, as one of the few non-Ukers -- and most of the members are terrified of what this winter is bringing.

A lot of us in the US are quite anxious about what the winter will bring to you all -- and Europe, and China, and Africa -- too, because we are all connected.  You go down, we go down with you.  Plus we have disasters to the right of us and ahead of us and behind us, and ongoing too.  Only the JR Moggs will be left, I guess -- and we have them here too.  This winter will be a terrific opportunity to cull the useless mouths from the population, particularly the elderly, etc.  All good, right?

On 9/6/2022 at 2:57 AM, Spockydog said:

Millionaires turning the life or death plight of countless British families into light entertainment?

Schofield should be ashamed of himself.

You've described most of the countries on the planet, sadly. 

ETA: apparently Boris compared himself to Cincinnatus in his farewell speech?? Indicating he thinks he did a stellar job, left willingly and at some point will be invited/begged to come back?  

You cannot make this shit up. 

Tell us about it. Haven't you noticed the contempt that many of us hold him in?

The key to understanding Johnson is the quote in one of his childhood school reports to the effect that he gets upset at the very idea that he should be expected to follow the rules that every one else has to. To his mind he has done no wrong because it is impossible for him to do wrong. Complaints about his actions are to be resented, met with a charm offensive, or ignored, and to be forgotten as soon as possible.

25 minutes ago, Crixus said:

You've described most of the countries on the planet, sadly. 

ETA: apparently Boris compared himself to Cincinnatus in his farewell speech?? Indicating he thinks he did a stellar job, left willingly and at some point will be invited/begged to come back?  

You cannot make this shit up. 

As Mary Beard pointed out, he was also comparing himself to an enemy of the common people - someone brought out of rural retirement to put down a plebeian revolt. 

Breaking news that the Queen is under medical supervision at Balmoral and members of the Royal Family have rushed to her side.

I think the strain of having to appoint Liz fucking Truss as Prime Minister might have been the final straw. "That's it, I've done what you can, peace out. Chuck, here's the crown you've always wanted. Have fun."

Archived