UK Politics - Democracy for the 0.27% - Worst Past The Post edition

Which Tyler

36 minutes ago, dog-days said:

As Mary Beard pointed out, he was also comparing himself to an enemy of the common people - someone brought out of rural retirement to put down a plebeian revolt. 

Yes, exactly. Wonder if that detail escaped him, or whether it was one of the reasons for the comparison. The eternal dilemma: ignorant or evil? (Didn't he study Classics at Oxford?)

For our international friends, preparations for the Queen's passing are well-planned. Once it has been confirmed that the Queen has passed, Sean Bean will be appointed Protector of the Realm, and everything will be fine

20 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Wow. She’s only 4 years older than me. The anti-monarchy former lib-dem has really gone full Palpatine, channeling all the dark energy

Wait, this is news to you too? When the news broke about the Queen they said she was more than twice as old as Truss and I assumed that was just an error. I thought she was a few years younger than Hillary.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

For our international friends, preparations for the Queen's passing are well-planned. Once it has been confirmed that the Queen has passed, Sean Bean will be appointed Protector of the Realm, and everything will be fine

What are the Tories going to do when William becomes King? He seems to be against much of what they stand for, but they claim to love the crown.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What are the Tories going to do when William becomes King? He seems to be against much of what they stand for, but they claim to love the crown.

So is Charles. It will be a tricky line to walk.

The British (and superior) version of House of Cards had a storyline in its second season where the new King - who was very blatantly Charles - took the crown and made it clear he would voice moral opposition to the government when it did things he disagreed with, and it caused a major constitutional crisis.

37 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

While Nadine Dorries is 65. You would definitely have them the other way round. 

I wouldn't go that far, but for a number of reasons I would have guessed Truss was in her 60's before her 40's. Appearance aside, she has a very old world view of politics and considering she has all the charisma of a wet fart, I would assume the only way she could advance to this station was by hanging around for a very long time. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wouldn't go that far, but for a number of reasons I would have guessed Truss was in her 60's before her 40's. Appearance aside, she has a very old world view of politics and considering she has all the charisma of a wet fart, I would assume the only way she could advance to this station was by hanging around for a very long time. 

Earlier in this thread I posted a clip from 1994 of her as a teenager calling the idea of a monarchy ‘a disgrace’. Her ‘views’ are whatever she thinks will get her the top job

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Breaking news that the Queen is under medical supervision at Balmoral and members of the Royal Family have rushed to her side.

I think the strain of having to appoint Liz fucking Truss as Prime Minister might have been the final straw. "That's it, I've done what you can, peace out. Chuck, here's the crown you've always wanted. Have fun."

My thought was the opposite. Boris Johnson was the stress causer, and now that he’s out of office and she isn’t yet, she can relax and get ready to reunite with Philip.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

'If'. There's a few years before that'll come to pass, and there's time yet to abolish the lot of them. 

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

So is Charles. It will be a tricky line to walk.

The British (and superior) version of House of Cards had a storyline in its second season where the new King - who was very blatantly Charles - took the crown and made it clear he would voice moral opposition to the government when it did things he disagreed with, and it caused a major constitutional crisis.

Charles has some strong views on the environment and other issues but is deeply conservative in other ways, principally ways relating to his own wealth and status, but also in terms of his social politics. You can 100% see him complaining about 'wokeness'. 

Archived