UK Politics - Democracy for the 0.27% - Worst Past The Post edition

Which Tyler

58 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I think I knew she wasn't really immortal, but this is pretty devastating nonetheless.  

No. It's really not. I mean, perhaps it is for those who don't really think too deeply about such matters, but the passing of this woman is the last thing plebs should be getting upset about right now. 

People have far more pressing matters to deal with than the death of this parasite. 

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I used to think this but then she showed more consideration for Andrew than she did for Harry and my opinion of her niceness dropped considerably.

Proving what everyone already knows, gingers are worse than nonces. 

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No. It's really not. I mean, perhaps it is for those who don't really think too deeply about such matters, but the passing of this woman is the last thing plebs should be getting upset about right now. 

People have far more pressing matters to deal with than the death of this parasite. 

To me, devastating to me.  Sorry if that wasn't explicit.

58 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I think that's it.  Even if you're not pro-monarchy, it will just be such a change.  For most of us, she's always been there. 

I'm not even British and feel the same. Tbf I frequently feel like that when public figures who've been around pass.

Disclaimer. I'm not pro Monarchy.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I used to think this but then she showed more consideration for Andrew than she did for Harry and my opinion of her niceness dropped considerably.

Good point.

1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

To me, devastating to me.  Sorry if that wasn't explicit.

But why are you devastated? This is a woman you never met, who does not give a shit about you, and with whom you have literally nothing in common. She and her entire family hold you in the utmost contempt. 

Personally, I'd be reserving my devastation for the passing of a close friend or relative. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61585886

Queen Elizabeth II, the UK's longest-serving monarch, has died at Balmoral aged 96, after reigning for 70 years.

Her family gathered at her Scottish estate after concerns grew about her health earlier on Thursday.

The Queen came to the throne in 1952 and witnessed enormous social change.

With her death, her eldest son Charles, the former Prince of Wales, will lead the country in mourning as the new King and head of state for 14 Commonwealth realms.

My condolences to everyone in the Commonwealth nations who will be grieving her. I find myself a bit upset in a wistful way, though I know it's partly because it brings up feelings about my own mother who died at age 98 in 2020. The Queen would have been a symbolic mother to many and so I have empathy for them, and hope the next few days go off without a hitch.

39 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But why are you devastated? This is a woman you never met, who does not give a shit about you, and with whom you have literally nothing in common. She and her entire family hold you in the utmost contempt. 

Personally, I'd be reserving my devastation for the passing of a close friend or relative. 

I think it's entirely true that members of the Royal Family hold the average British working person in the utmost contempt (Andrew, certainly), and those who do not probably still have zero conception of the concerns of the average person on the street.

I do not think that extends to the late Queen, who has never shown such contempt in any fashion and has made repeatedly clear her belief in her role as a servant of the British people, and who also served this country in the armed forces during the Second World War.

It is entirely compatible to disagree with the idea or conception of a monarchy whilst also respecting the Queen as an individual (some, if not many, of her family members, considerably less so) and perhaps showing a modicum of respect for her passing. And I say that as someone who hopes that her passing will trigger a larger-scale debate on the future of the monarchy, which grows increasingly untenable with almost every passing year.

Archived