UK Politics - Democracy for the 0.27% - Worst Past The Post edition

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

If she respected her 'subjects' she could sell a crown and a house and feed some starving kids. 

We could all sell our homes to feed starving kids, but only a handful of saints would do so.

On the subject of not all of us having more than one house (or any house):

Crown Estate

Finances of the British Royal Family

Queen lobbied for change in law to hide her private wealth

TBH, I'm not anti-monarchy. I was fervently republican as a child/young teen, but seeing the likes of President George W Bush elected boss of the world moderated that quite a lot. The late Queen was palatable in comparison with the likely alternatives. I have complete faith in the ability of the British people to elect a total shit to the highest office in the land. 

ETA: Presenters and guests really struggling over on the S4C rolling news. 

Presenter: Well, we know about her love for Scotland. What about her love for Wales?

Dafydd Elis-Thomas: Uh...weeeeellll....

5 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Not too many people seem enthusiastic at the thought of "Queen Camilla". Any chance Charles abdicates sooner than later?

No chance that Charles abdicates under any circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Not too many people seem enthusiastic at the thought of "Queen Camilla". Any chance Charles abdicates sooner than later?

ETA: Will she actually be a queen or a duchess?

Queen-Consort. Sort of the reverse of Prince Phillip. She might be called Duchess or even Princess (urgh) but never, ever Queen.

If Charles believed in the long-term health and prospects for the monarchy, he would not take the throne and would pass it to William ASAP, but since he likely gives no shits about that, he will not.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

But why are you devastated? This is a woman you never met, who does not give a shit about you, and with whom you have literally nothing in common. She and her entire family hold you in the utmost contempt. 

Personally, I'd be reserving my devastation for the passing of a close friend or relative. 

Is grief a limited resource?  I’ve never met the woman but she has been there my entire life.  I’m sad for her passing.

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is grief a limited resource?

Yes, it is. We all have limits on our emotional capacity and grief taxes us greatly.

Feeling sad at a public figure's passing isn't grief, though. It's just temporary sadness.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

Yes, it is. We all have limits on our emotional capacity and grief taxes us greatly.

Feeling sad at a public figure's passing isn't grief, though. It's just temporary sadness.

To you, with your frame of reference. Doesn’t make it a universal thing. I suggest looking at comments from those, particularly the military, whose oaths were to her, personally. I find it tear jerking to read some of them. 

But I realise I’m wasting my time. There’s absolutely nothing that we (not you personally, the denizens of this thread) have in common. A good time to make the final break from a place that I’ve mostly loved for over 20 years. Good luck and best wishes.

29 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

A symbol of colonization,  imperialism and incredible privilege has died...RIP i guess

Not a very good one, though. Under her reign the British Empire was dismantled, most of the colonies became independent countries and Britain did not acquire any new colonies. Possibly more a symbol of decolonisation. 

5 minutes ago, Hereward said:

To you, with your frame of reference. Doesn’t make it a universal thing. I suggest looking at comments from those, particularly the military, whose oaths were to her, personally. I find it tear jerking to read some of them. 

But I realise I’m wasting my time. There’s absolutely nothing that we (not you personally, the denizens of this thread) have in common. A good time to make the final break from a place that I’ve mostly loved for over 20 years. Good luck and best wishes.

Forelock tugging is over in the Queen Elizabeth thread if that's what you need. 

I'll be sad when Sir Patrick Stewart passes, and I'm sure he doesn't give a sh*t about me. No, not as sad as when people in my real life or, goddess forbid, my dog should die. Although my regard for him just plummeted a bit after he said he admired Prince Charles. Uh, King... that feels weird.

43 minutes ago, mormont said:

We all don't have several stately houses left over after we sell our house.

Perhaps not, but plenty of us have significant assets.  By the standards of countries where children starve, we all lead lives of immense opulence.

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Perhaps not, but plenty of us have significant assets.  By the standards of countries where children starve, we all lead lives of immense opulence.

I give a far greater % of my income to charitable causes. And I've got a lot less to spare. And I earned my money. And none of my subjects are starving. Other than that, yeah, it's totally the same. 

Archived