UK Politics - Democracy for the 0.27% - Worst Past The Post edition

Which Tyler

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am asking more practical questions.

With that awful Qatar World Cup on the horizon. Do the English go back to God Save the King? That must feel somewhat awkward after over half a century.

Yes. Lots of people will have to update their letterheads as well (the lawyers will now be KC instead of QC, for example)

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I give a far greater % of my income to charitable causes. And I've got a lot less to spare. And I earned my money. And none of my subjects are starving. Other than that, yeah, it's totally the same. 

I’m sure you’re an inspiration to us all.

43 minutes ago, Hereward said:

To you, with your frame of reference. Doesn’t make it a universal thing. I suggest looking at comments from those, particularly the military, whose oaths were to her, personally. I find it tear jerking to read some of them.

Somewhat puzzled by this response. My quoted comment isn't in any way meant to be negative about the monarchy or the Queen: it's pointing out that Scot's comment, while perhaps well intended, unfortunately has the effect of downplaying the very real impact of grief. Grief is a very taxing emotion and the suggestion that there is no limit to it implies that people who are having a hard time coping with it are in some way deficient.

Sadness at the death of a public figure - an emotion I have felt and expressed many times - isn't grief and doesn't have the same impact. That's not to say that some people aren't experiencing genuine grief over the Queen's death. I'm sure many are.

I've never hidden the fact that I find the concept and ideology of the hereditary monarchy, 'constitutional' or not, to be a relic of the past, opposed to the principles that any democratic society should be founded on. Nor that I want it gone, sooner the better. Nor that I have negative opinions of several members of the British Royal family, whose generally positive PR covers a lot of sins - as we've repeatedly seen. But in this case, these things weren't the gist of my comment.

23 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I’m sure you’re an inspiration to us all.

Nothing says "I have no worthwhile response" quite like this kind of flaccid, empty sarcasm.

You can defend the Queen's life of luxury, and you can take a crap on BFC's assessment of his worthiness, but doing one in order to defend the other is very... Trussian? Johnsonish?

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Nothing says "I have no worthwhile response" quite like this kind of flaccid, empty sarcasm.

You can defend the Queen's life of luxury, and you can take a crap on BFC's assessment of his worthiness, but doing one in order to defend the other is very... Trussian? Johnsonish?

I think this thread has demonstrated very well that British Republicans are their own worst advocates.

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think this thread has demonstrated very well that British Republicans are their own worst advocates.

That's OK. Royalists are doing a fine job advocating for abolition without our help.

35 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That surprises me given history of other English “King Charles”.

I think it would be completely against tradition for him to use a name which he was not baptized with. So his other choices are Philip, Arthur, and George.  I think when his grandson was named George his incentive for using that name would have been greatly reduced. And I think using either Philip or Arthur would be seen as a bit self-important, for different reasons. Naming oneself King Arthur would just make him seem too arrogant. 

Archived