Watch, Watched, Watching: No Dragons Allowed

Ramsay B.

2 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched Get Him To the Greek for the first time in a while. Still love that movie. 

The fake music in those two movies is so funny. "I'm talking about my asshole."

Amores Perros and No Time to Die today, both rewatches, the former since I wasn't mature enough to understand the context the first time around, the other because I dozed through it the first time with my buddy forcing me awake.

As always, Iñárritu never makes a bad film, and Craig deserved a better movie for his swansong as 007.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just a thought, would shows like Seinfeld, Friends or HIMYM have been hits if they were set in any other major city in the US?

I don't know much about Seinfeld, I barely watched it. Maybe?  Was the city integral to the stories being told?

Friends could work just as easily in Chicago or LA I think. 

HIMYM...hmmmm...I don't think it plays as well elsewhere. New York is ingrained into a lot of what they do.

32 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I don't know much about Seinfeld, I barely watched it. Maybe?  Was the city integral to the stories being told?

Friends could work just as easily in Chicago or LA I think. 

HIMYM...hmmmm...I don't think it plays as well elsewhere. New York is ingrained into a lot of what they do.

That's the point, New York is a character and there's a strong east coast bias. Strip NY from them and what do you have? Picture Seinfeld in Atlanta, Friends in San Jose and HIMYM in San Antonio...

Lol, just finished the S2 episode of Breaking Bad called Better call Saul. My father was a "criminal" lawyer as well and I've got to say, pretty fucking accurate. 

Also, Danny Trejo's decapitated head on a turtle exploding is next level.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's the point, New York is a character and there's a strong east coast bias. Strip NY from them and what do you have? Picture Seinfeld in Atlanta, Friends in San Jose and HIMYM in San Antonio...

Right. I don't know if Seinfeld works that way. I know HIMYM doesn't.  Friends though? I do think that could be any large city.  Chicago, LA, Atlanta.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just a thought, would shows like Seinfeld, Friends or HIMYM have been hits if they were set in any other major city in the US?

Yeah of course they would. Chicago would work for all of them. They just need a large city due to the stories and times in bars etc. If they started up and were using deep dish pizza as Joeys favorite food instead of sandwiches, acting in Chicago centered tv shows, Monica can still be a chef, Ross still a Professor, Rachel(:wub:) still in fashion, miracle mile, Pheobe still massaging, and Chandler doing data transponding.... 

Does it help using NYC, yeah of course. I just said this all because I wanted to argue.

I don't think those sitcoms work in shitty cities, but they work fine in big ones. Friends works great in San Fran, Seinfeld would be amazing in Seattle (especially given what douchebags they are). I don't think it works for all cities - Dallas and Houston I can't imagine it working - but any of the other big ones I think it works just fine. 

Of the three I think Seinfeld is the most NY of the lot and maybe loses the most, but I'm trying to think of any real character that the city actually had in the shows. 

22 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Of the three I think Seinfeld is the most NY of the lot and maybe loses the most, but I'm trying to think of any real character that the city actually had in the shows. 

Well, Larry David's Steinbrenner had a pretty good run.  And Keith Hernandez was in a few episodes.  That's not really much, but yeah, it's the only show mentioned that was distinctly "New York."  Friends was obviously trying to be as generically cosmopolitan as possible.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do you really want to watch Sex in the City set in Tampa?

Just have the main setting be Carrie writing a blog for whatever strip club that's famous for all the NFL players hanging out there...the show will write itself...

53 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Umm based off internet pictures of the women Tampa wins hands down compared to NYC, so as a male pig, yes.

I meant with the same cast, and if you're trying to do a modern take set in Tampa at least one of the main characters needs to have Euphoria level drug problems. 

7 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Just have the main setting be Carrie writing a blog for whatever strip club that's famous for all the NFL players hanging out there...the show will write itself...

I'm sure they said that about Ballers too.

Archived