Watch, Watched, Watching: No Dragons Allowed

Ramsay B.

Tom Perrotta, the writer of The Leftovers, was an executive producer and worked closely with Lindelof on the show, including writing several of the episodes across the seasons. He co-wrote the series finale.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

I thought there was a Frasier thread but couldn't find it. So here's a trailer for Frasier 2022 - fake but good! (A tad different though.)

Was that "The Rumble" from Money Plane at the end there?

also:

(I'll always have a crush on Jane Leeves)

15 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I did, too!

As a kid born in the late 80's, my dad after my parents got divorced had Sex and the City, Law and Order, X-Files and Frasier on if we weren't watching sports or the news. Pretty easy bingo card guessing who the women elementary school version of me had crushes on, along with the Pink Ranger and  Kristi Yamaguchi. 

One of the main characters in house of the dragon calls someone else 'self serious' and that is a good reflection of the show. It suffers from a lack of any type of humour, and it doesn't particularly need to have humour but it does not need every single character to take themselves so seriously. 

The action is manufactured in a non organic way about people we don't really give a shit about ( the crab dudes) so it also falls flat. 

I think visereys and rhanerys are carrying the show at the moment and the actors playing those roles are keeping me interested, but I do not give a shit about anything else. 

5 hours ago, Raja said:

It suffers from a lack of any type of humour, and it doesn't particularly need to have humour but it does not need every single character to take themselves so seriously. 

I rewatched the third episode last night, and though I didn't notice the first time around, there are moments when there is a sense of at least amusement with self and etc. is exhibited.  It's not quite as grim in that way as some think -- but they are fleeting and rather subtle, in a way that feels quite like a court culture.

8 hours ago, Raja said:

One of the main characters in house of the dragon calls someone else 'self serious' and that is a good reflection of the show. It suffers from a lack of any type of humour, and it doesn't particularly need to have humour but it does not need every single character to take themselves so seriously. 

House of the Dragon  There was a character in this episode

Spoiler

The guys whose legs are not formed properly, he is at the feast sitting with the women. I was like oh no, don't make him like Tyrion and be the comedic relief!

Luckily that didn't happen. One scene that bothered me a bit was

Spoiler

Daemon on the suicide mission. He got hit with three arrows, one to the leg, and yet gets up and runs after the crab guy. Seemed a little heavy handed to me.

I went to see Bullet Train this weekend since it was cheap and we had crap weather. Theatre was like 75% full. I found I liked the movie more than I thought I would. I mean it's a bit sill of course, but it's suppose to be. I even liked the drawn out ending and post credit scene. I was thrown off by one character though. Karen Fukuhara is in this movie and

Spoiler

once I recognized her from The Boys I assumed she was the "Diesel" or at least another assassin, turns out she was nothing but a decoy to those who know her from The Boys.

Over all I was happy I went

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

House of the Dragon  There was a character in this episode

Yeah, that would have been..not great. I'm sure we'll see him again though. As an aside, a show can have a sense of humour without having comedic relief, but HOTD doesn't have that.

It's not a *big* deal if the other stuff was very good, but the other stuff is just okay.

I'm confused by the claims the show has no sense of humor. Too little, okay, I can see the argument, but there's certainly at least some humor in each of the episodes, near as I can recall. Like this past one, with the singer getting tugged back and forth between the queen and the princess, or Cole's deadpan offer to kill Otto, Viserys half-drunk dealing with Jason Lannister's schmoozing...

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

It's not quite as grim in that way as some think

Yeah, I don't think it is grim per se, more very self serious. As for noticing those moments, they are hard to miss, and I doubt anyone didn't notice them, but I just don't think they are well done at all or really qualify save that scene with Cole :dunno:

19 minutes ago, Raja said:

Yeah, I don't think it is grim per se, more very self serious. As for noticing those moments, they are hard to miss, and I doubt anyone didn't notice them, but I just don't think they are well done at all or really qualify save that scene with Cole :dunno:

YMMV but in the exchange Ran mentioned between Viserys and Jason Lannister I actually laughed aloud. I don’t remember the line, but it was the delivery by Viserys in conjunction with the smile. 

7 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

YMMV but in the exchange Ran mentioned between Viserys and Jason Lannister I actually laughed aloud. I don’t remember the line, but it was the delivery by Viserys in conjunction with the smile. 

Yeah, I think it works for some people but doesn't really work for me. And that's okay.

And I don't need to laugh out loud either, I think it's possible for a show to have a sense of humour as opposed to explicitly try and elicit laughs. I think GRRM's books do this well in even some of the bleakest chapters.

While I am often critical of the concept of "Nerd culture", I have to admit that we're living close to its televised zenith. In the same week you have episodes of House of the Dragon, Rings of Power, Harley Quinn and now also Rick and Morty. What joy this brings me.

I watched Rings of Power yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised, particularly by the second episode. The series looks achingly beautiful from the start (like, not just better than HotD, but better even than many movies) though it definitely suffers from purple dialogue.

It's been awhile since I read the Silmarillion, but the really casual fans with whom I watched episode 1 where completely lost by the opening monologue and every painfully attempt to dump exposition on them (the second episode has this moment where

Spoiler

Elrond explains what a Silmaril is to Celebrimbor

which just sticks out as unnatural conversation between those characters).

Aside from those moments, I find it hard to really offer stringent critique. This is not going to be an intelligent, thought-provoking work for sure but there is a specific kind of gleefully dumb storytelling which I can get on board with. I was for instance very pleasantly surprised by a sequence in episode 2

Spoiler

With Elrond visiting the dwarves. The way they were all chanting Khazad Dum or whatever didn't make any sense at all, but it was awesome anyways. If they can make the whole show like that, I'll stick with it for the entire five seasons.

I also quite liked the Orc in the cabin sequence, although the idea of Orcs tunneling undetected for so long (and that one Orc being completely alone) is insanely stupid. They did a good job with keeping everything moving though, so that I did not care just how stupid it was.

So far I would say that I prefer House of the Dragon, which I think is somewhat more clever and has a lot of awesome dumb moments of its own 

Spoiler

The battle between Daemon and the Crabfeeder in the last episode. Was the plan incredibly stupid? Yes, it was. Was the scene awesome anyways? Yes, again.

but it's closer than I had anticipated given the fact I am so pleasantly surprised by House of the Dragon.

The first episode of Rick and Morty's new season was good as always. It's kind of hard to say anything new about it at this point. The people who make this knows what works and more often than not they land their hits. 

10 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Hey, what happened to no dragons allowed? Get a grip, people!

That rule was more like a guideline :P

21 hours ago, Raja said:

The action is manufactured in a non organic way about people we don't really give a shit about ( the crab dudes) so it also falls flat. 

I think visereys and rhanerys are carrying the show at the moment and the actors playing those roles are keeping me interested, but I do not give a shit about anything else. 

I think the point about humor has been addressed already, but I am amazed that you are not taken in by Matt Smith's performance. That guy must have massive back problems from carrying House of the Dragon and the rest of HBO Max on his back.

As to the action, I am also a tad surprised by you calling that inorganic. The set up is actually pretty nicely done

Spoiler

It is not about the "crab people". They might be the antagonists, but that entire action scene is the result of solid character work. The attackers were not willing to risk the insane gambit until that messenger from King's Landing showed up. Daemon became enraged by the kindness shown to him by Viserys and his emotional need to prove his worth as a leader without the aid of the Iron Throne led him to risk it all. It is meant to show you the deep affections of Daemon as a man, his complex relations with his family and the fact that his coin is perennially balanced between madness and brilliance.

Archived