Watch, Watched, Watching: No Dragons Allowed

Ramsay B.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

The set up is actually pretty nicely done

Yeah, I got all that, I just don't find it engaging when it's 1. Set up poorly from the start 2. Tells us something about Daemon that we already know and 3. There are more organic ways to show that about his character. It's an excuse to get some action into the show, which is fine, I just think it's poor.

I agree about Matt Smith though, I think he's great. Also, I'll stop here given the title of the thread ( I didn't notice!)

Spoiler

Boone died. I wasn’t expecting that but I suppose there was no other way this could have gone. Because Lost was written in a time when writing made sense. (Why am I so passive aggressive today?)  At the same time the Hurley and Locke back stories became my favorites. I cannot wait to see how Boone will impact Locke’s story now. Jack is the most annoying protagonist in the world and he’s great that way. 

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

"He didn't die, he was murdered."  The Greater Good to the three-part Exodus is some awesome television

Oh yeah  That’s the exact sentence I mean when I say Jack is the most annoying. 

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

I've always viewed Matthew Fox as the lead as one of the show's biggest weaknesses.  Sometimes I like to imagine Michael Keaton took the role (and his version wasn't killed off in the pilot).  The heavy breathing is well parodied by Family Guy:

I do find Jack cute and he has just the right amount of masculinity for my taste, so there’s that. While I understand that the overdone heroism is a necessary counterbalance so he doesn’t end up a Mary Sue, it still feels over-exaggerated and a bit overacted. Plus, it’d be more interesting to let his other flaws shine from time to time as well. 

6 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I do find Jack cute and he has just the right amount of masculinity for my taste, so there’s that. While I understand that the overdone heroism is a necessary counterbalance so he doesn’t end up a Mary Sue, it still feels over-exaggerated and a bit overacted. Plus, it’d be more interesting to let his other flaws shine from time to time as well. 

I don't have much of a problem with the character and how he's written.  TBC, my issue is with Fox as an actor.

10 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

He never shaved or cut his hair, yet it jever seemed to grow over the 3months or so he was on the island

As someone who's had a beard since I was 14, his ability to consistently have only stubble on a deserted island for 100 days is really impressive.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Something was definitely up with Jack. He never shaved or cut his hair, yet it jever seemed to grow over the 3months or so he was on the island

There was actually a scene just an episode or two ago in which he shaves. 

@Heartoficeto be honest sawyer also feels slightly overdone to me. I’m looking forward seeing how they develop in later seasons. 

I know Lost has been out for over a decade and all, but there is a perfectly good spoiler button to use. it really does not take much effort to disguise character deaths and plot twists to protect the experience for people who might still want to see Lost and innocently gander into this here thread.

(though I myself would advice cutting Lost after season 2, but that's a whole other debate).

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I dunno, I think some stories need that bland, cardboard leading man with classical good looks that can make everyone else seem more interesting. That’s the role Jack played. He was the Ying to Sawyer’s Yang. 

Jack as the straight man is definitely part and parcel of his role.  That doesn't change the fact I don't like Matthew Fox in that role.

19 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I know Lost has been out for over a decade and all, but there is a perfectly good spoiler button to use.

Is this directed at me?  I tried very specifically not to spoil anything for RhaenysBee, and I don't think I did.  ...Did I?

Just now, DMC said:

Jack as the straight man is definitely part and parcel of his role.  That doesn't change the fact I don't like Matthew Fox in that role.

Is this directed at me?  I tried very specifically not to spoil anything for RhaenysBee, and I don't think I did.  ...Did I?

Yeah, that’s fair. For me Shannon is the character where I feel the actor may not be best suited for the portrayal of the character. 

No, it’s about my post which included the character death without a spoiler tag, which was now added as a courtesy of Ran’s. And don’t worry, you didn’t spoil anything for me at all. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

No, it’s about my post which included the character death without a spoiler tag, which was now added as a courtesy of Ran’s. And don’t worry, you didn’t spoil anything for me at all.

Ah, ok.  That seems pretty anal but whatever.

As for Maggie Grace as Shannon, I think she fits the role pretty well.  It's also a minor character so I don't care so much.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Sorry

No worries, it can sometimes slip the mind in all the excitement. No one is infallible after all.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

No this was about the accidental spoiler in her post. Speaking of which, you quoted that spoiler and that is still visible, so it would be very courteous if you would also put that quote in spoiler tags.

I find that one of the great things about the community we have here is the consideration we pay to others and the systems we have to allow those of us who have seen something to congregate in spoiler threads or use spoiler tags in our posts in normal threads.

it's one of the hallmarks of a bad reviewer to spoil things without consideration for others' enjoyment, so we are lucky to have a space like this.

Got to admit I was a big fan of Jack. The beginning where he's rushing all over the place trying to help people really got me onboard, and I thought Matthew Fox was cool (although turns out he's a prat if recent stories are anything to by).

The conflicts between him and Locke were really compelling as well.

Locke's also a great character. The walkabout episode was famous.

Was quite funny when Mass Effect came out; the main character's name was Shepard and he looked exactly like Matthew Fox.

Review of Medieval, film featuring a version of Czech national hero, Jan Zizka; opens tomorrow.  A trailer video available in the review, which persuasively describes the film as ultra violent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/movies/medieval-review-flaying-alive.html?

So three Big Epic Battle films hit this month: Medieval, tomorrow, The Woman King next weekend, and at the end of the month, Ponniyin Selvan. To be honest, that's one promising  vast entertainment.

Medieval seems geared to be viewed with hands over eyes mostly.  I have fears The Woman King will be historically misleading in terms of the slaving wars of West Africa, to put most mildly -- though it doesn't have to be, depending on which era of the kingdom is presented, but movies and history, you know, do not make good compatriots.

Speaking of Matthew Fox, apparently he's come out of retirement, and the mini-series that lured him back is premiering today on Peacock.  (I suspect this is a "i need the money" case despite what he says.)  It's some sort of peak-oil apocalypse scenario.

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ahhhh...what a time...Lower Decks and She-Hulk under way.  The Good Fight just dropped and Cobra Kai back tomorrow...

Cobra Kai drops tomorrow? Man, when will I ever get anything done when this joins the line up with RoP, HotD and Harley Quinn :D Thanks for the great news.

Archived