Watch, Watched, Watching: No Dragons Allowed

Ramsay B.

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

This season has already been much better than the last, really pleased it’s back on form.

I dunno. Last season was pretty solid. 

That said, It's absolutely amazing to me how this show manages to stay fresh and funny. Even the weaker episodes usually have something incredible in them. Top tier writing.

I checked out two older shows.

Watched the first episode of 30 Rock, but it didn't really land with me.

Then I stumbled across The Flight Attendant, and I really enjoy it. A fast-paced little mystery with twists and turns, a bit of humor, and a likeable, very flawed heroine. I'm bingeing it at about two episodes a day. Also, Bebe Neuwirth in a small role was a nice surprise.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

I checked out two older shows.

Watched the first episode of 30 Rock, but it didn't really land with me.

Then I stumbled across The Flight Attendant, and I really enjoy it. A fast-paced little mystery with twists and turns, a bit of humor, and a likeable, very flawed heroine. I'm bingeing it at about two episodes a day. Also, Bebe Neuwirth in a small role was a nice surprise.

I'd give 30 Rock a few more episodes, it's a pretty good show with some truly amazing jokes. 

8 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I dunno. Last season was pretty solid. 

That said, It's absolutely amazing to me how this show manages to stay fresh and funny. Even the weaker episodes usually have something incredible in them. Top tier writing.

I dunno, I’ve been slowly catching up on season 5 of Rick and Morty, and I say slowly because I find it a little painful at times. It’s been a long time since I really enjoyed an episode now, and I have to go and rewatch something good from the first 2 seasons to try and remember what I ever loved about the show. 

It’s like a parody of itself at times, the jokes rarely land and each character is just rolling out the most obvious lines. 

I hope the new season is a return to form, but to blame unless it’s up to the level it was when it started it’s always going to feel like a disappointment 

I watched the latest episodes of House of the Dragon and Rick & Morty. As stated by others above, Rick & Morty's latest episode was really good. This whole season has been pretty good so far. I think the previous season suffered from some kind of fatigue induced mediocre episodes (although it did also have some great ones), but the writing room seems to have found a new wave of inspiration which I'm thoroughly enjoying

Spoiler

The Beths falling in love was audicious storytelling at its best. I really had fun there and when Jerry got involved it became even funnier.

I do wonder whether Rick was responsible for the shenanigans as he seems to pour away the bottle of alien liquid his daughters drank from at the end of the episode. Was that meant to be a love potion?

House of the Dragon was not as good as the previous two weeks (but those were pretty great highs), but I still enjoyed it. I continue to be impressed by this series in general and Matt Smith's portrayal of Daemon specifically. He steals every scene he's in.

I'm also very curious about the adaptation choices that were made, particularly because GRRM himself was involved with this show (book & show spoilers).

Spoiler

Daemon killing Rhea Royce himself was something I didn't feel was implied in the book. It makes a lot of sense however and really muddles the water on show Daemon even further (is he a hero, a villain, anti-hero, anti-villain, etc.). Do we take it that if GRRM were to write out the story of the Dance in novel format instead of fake history that relies on imperfect information, he would also show us Daemon killing Rhea?

Purely regarding the show interpretation of the character, I also feel like I'm missing something here that I didn't get from the books nor that has been really expressed in the show that motivates some of his actions. Curious to see whether that is just a failing of my part or something that will be made clearer later on.

One weakness I did feel was very noticeable and which I think @dbunting also felt was (show spoilers only):

Spoiler

The resolution of Criston Cole's arc in this episode. I feel like they are pressed for time and therefore accelerated his descent into opposition against Rhaenyra to an unreasonable degree. One moment he's completely head-over-heels-in-love and the next he's casually risking his life and reputation to beat Ser Joffrey to death?

That was a bit much I feel. 

I also feel that so far, the Hightower party has been painted way more sympathetic than they deserve to be (show spoilers)

Spoiler

Ser Otto might say a civil war would break out on Rhaenyra's ascension, but let's be honest. Whom of the great lords would be fool enough to rise up against a united Targaryen front if it presented itself at that point in Westerosi history?

If Rhaenyra's ascends, married to Laenor and with the support of her younger siblings then the only one who could potentially be a focal point for counter claims would be Daemon. He would however have no chance at all, regardless of his dragon and combat experience if he has to fight the full might of Houses Targaryen and Velaryon, backed up by the respective supporters of either claim.

I therefore see no reason whatsoever for Rhaenyra to take action against the Hightower children. Especially since this show has made it very clear that Viserys himself is continuously pressing for the renewal of Rhaeynyra's claim (aka, there is no need to kill her siblings, because they'd be very publicly be committing treason).

The show further muddles the water by having Viserys insist on absolute primogeniture. Ignoring the fact that Rhaenyra might die in child birth and/or fail to produce an heir, she might also give birth to a girl. A girl that would stand to inherit the throne and for whom Aegon would make an ideal match.

So basically what I'm saying is, Ser Otto you bitch, chill the fuck out. There is no problem unless you create it. I feel like the show is way too lenient on the irrationality of his position at the moment.

@Veltigar

GRRM has been explicit that in a lot of things, Condal and his writing team have made their own decisions about the story and that he is not involved at that level. Condal and he both talk of book and show canon being different.

Spoiler

The thing about Rhea Royce is that Daemon's off in the Stepstones when she learns of her death... and that death came after being in bed nine days, feeling better, and then collapsing and dying shortly after getting out of bed. Which makes it sound like she was awake for some time, and could have said if someone had literally tried to kill her. 

There's room for an assassin doing something like cutting the girth of her saddle, but there's no real evidence. 

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Ha, turns out I was already actually on season 4 and lost track.

Honestly I don’t have a lot of memories about seasons 3-4, maybe it was a bit flat. I just know things started going downhill during season 5. Let me know how you like it if you keep watching! 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

@Veltigar

GRRM has been explicit that in a lot of things, Condal and his writing team have made their own decisions about the story and that he is not involved at that level. Condal and he both talk of book and show canon being different.

Hide contents

The thing about Rhea Royce is that Daemon's off in the Stepstones when she learns of her death... and that death came after being in bed nine days, feeling better, and then collapsing and dying shortly after getting out of bed. Which makes it sound like she was awake for some time, and could have said if someone had literally tried to kill her. 

There's room for an assassin doing something like cutting the girth of her saddle, but there's no real evidence. 

Ah I see, thank you Ran for the answer. I had hoped that GRRM felt so comfortable in this particular collaboration that perhaps the canons would be aligned, but this makes more sense.

@Veltigar

Also, that Rick and Morty episode was hilarious. The "San Junipero" reference was so unexpected -- and came on the heels of Linda and I talking about the episode a couple of days ago ("Heaven is a Place on Earth" had come on the radio and Linda just waited for my inevitable reference to the episode, which turned me from someone who didn't think much of the song to someone who smiles because of the association with the episode) -- and some of the jokes were just perfection. 

I watched the pilot episode of the new Quantum Leap and as someone who the original series means a lot to, who has an autographed picture of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell as one of his most prized possessions, who has been literally (and I literally mean "literally" ) dreaming of the show's return since pretty much right after the final episode...

Quantum Leap is back!!!

I loved the premiere episode!  It is not a remake it is pretty much Quantum Leap: The Next Generation. I liked the new characters a lot, loved the references to old characters and legacies of older characters, and the episode itself...the half of it where Ben was in 1985 really felt like an old school QL episode...it was like stepping into a worn pair of comfortable shoes, it just felt right. The half of the show that took place in 2022 was a great expansion of the story going on at the actual Quantum Leap project and the characters were all really interesting. Ernie Hudson was great as the man in charge and Mason Alexander Park as Ian was like the new Gushie were highlights for me.

All I can say is if you liked the original Quantum Leap, you should check this out...it really feels like Quantum Leap should feel. If the rumored guest star appearance of Bakula actual happens...that's going to be a Luke Skywalker showing up in The Mandalorian moment for me.

Also...Ben Song...Samuel Beckett...don't think I didn't catch they have the same initials only reversed...

2 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

If the rumored guest star appearance of Bakula actual happens

I read Bakula making a statement that he passed on making an appearance on the show, and that it was a hard decision (without explaining why, exactly, he passed.) This could just be a big misdirect of course, but I don't know, it feels sincere (and I'd prefer it if Bakula didn't outright lie to his fans.)

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Ser Otto you bitch, chill the fuck out. There is no problem unless you create it.

But that's exactly what happens with war and politics.  Somebody's fee-fees, honor, house, lineage, greed, ancestors used to rule this, insanity, etc. decides to make one just because ME.  The Middle Ages show this over and over and over. And sheer loutishness.  Nor is there any real resolution or improvement.  Either exhaustion or somebody is removed from power by somebody just like them. Then comes the next power struggle. Thus Hotd is the most faithful to medieval politics and ruling classes ever.

Ive finished Br Ba and am onto BCS, still first Season so quite a lot ahead yet.

Just read this interesting story about Tom Hardy winning a Jiu-Jitsu tournament. What an all around talent. He was attempting incognito but everyone figured out it was him lols.

Actor Tom Hardy secretly enters — and wins — Jiu-Jitsu competition 

https://nypost.com/2022/09/21/tom-hardy-secretly-enters-and-wins-jiu-jitsu-competition-in-england?utm_source=drive&utm_campaign=android_nyp

43 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ive finished Br Ba and am onto BCS, still first Season so quite a lot ahead yet.

Just read this interesting story about Tom Hardy winning a Jiu-Jitsu tournament. What an all around talent. He was attempting incognito but everyone figured out it was him lols.

Actor Tom Hardy secretly enters — and wins — Jiu-Jitsu competition 

https://nypost.com/2022/09/21/tom-hardy-secretly-enters-and-wins-jiu-jitsu-competition-in-england?utm_source=drive&utm_campaign=android_nyp

So he tried to participate as a mystery knight. :P

On 9/21/2022 at 10:45 AM, Veltigar said:

Ah I see, thank you Ran for the answer. I had hoped that GRRM felt so comfortable in this particular collaboration that perhaps the canons would be aligned, but this makes more sense.

Spoiler

I watched the after episode director / writer thing and he mentions that he read a throw away line about she died in hunting accident... and he decided to expound on it.  I think that sucked because in the 2-3 min she was on screen I was already liking her, and like anything else in that world she was of course killed.

Added spoiler for House of Dragon, oops!

Archived