Watch, Watched, Watching: No Dragons Allowed

Ramsay B.

50 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Apple TV and Amazon video annoy me because why are they doing that. They're like the two most profitable companies in america why do they need to pile on when there are already too many streaming services. 

I have come to like Amazon Prime, there is a lot on offer, old movies, etc. [unlike Netflix], and so far, the streaming is no additional cost.  Their original programming is not that great, but maybe it will improve, and if not, I'm already paying for Amazon for delivery, so it's like a free extra.

Apple TV, there is never any there there.  Also, for some reason, we have the 'stick' and it is a huge pain to get it up and running when we use it, so we hardly ever use it and when I do use it, I never find much I want to see that I couldn't have seen somewhere else.

Not sure if there is a large anime following on the board, but the upcoming season of anime looks to be the best in a long time:

My Hero Academia 6 (Bones) - October 1, 2022

Spy x Family Part 2 (Wit Studio) - October 1, 2022

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury (Sunrise) - October 2, 2022

Golden Kamuy 4 (Brain's Base) - October 3, 2022

Mob Psycho III (Bones) - October 6, 2022

Tiger & Bunny 2 Part 2 (Bandai Namco Pictures) - October 7, 2022

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War (Studio Pierrot) - October 11, 2022

Chainsaw Man (MAPPA) - October 12, 2022

Suzume (CoMix Wave) - November 11, 2022 (Who knows when this will stream in the US, though)

There are several other series and movies releasing during the season, but these are the ones that I will be interested to watch. 

There's also the fantastic Cyberpunk: Edgerunners series that released last week on Netflix by Trigger.

Though not anime, I am also looking forward to Tales of the Jedi, the Dragon Prince, and Dragon Age: Absolution. 

20 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Reviews of AMC's "Interview with the Vampire" are out. I've read 3 of them. Looks like they got good reviews. Also it appears they adjusted some of the plot in a major way.

Is it out somewhere else?  Coz here AMC isn't putting up the first ep until Oct. 2.  I'll be watching it for Eric Bogosian!

26 minutes ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

Not sure if there is a large anime following on the board, but the upcoming season of anime looks to be the best in a long time:

My Hero Academia 6 (Bones) - October 1, 2022

Spy x Family Part 2 (Wit Studio) - October 1, 2022

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury (Sunrise) - October 2, 2022

Golden Kamuy 4 (Brain's Base) - October 3, 2022

Mob Psycho III (Bones) - October 6, 2022

Tiger & Bunny 2 Part 2 (Bandai Namco Pictures) - October 7, 2022

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War (Studio Pierrot) - October 11, 2022

Chainsaw Man (MAPPA) - October 12, 2022

Suzume (CoMix Wave) - November 11, 2022 (Who knows when this will stream in the US, though)

There are several other series and movies releasing during the season, but these are the ones that I will be interested to watch. 

There's also the fantastic Cyberpunk: Edgerunners series that released last week on Netflix by Trigger.

Though not anime, I am also looking forward to Tales of the Jedi, the Dragon Prince, and Dragon Age: Absolution. 

Don't watch a lot of it but looking forward to My Hero Academia.

Dragon Prince was also brilliant didnt realise a new season is coming out soon.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:50 PM, DaveSumm said:

I never thought I’d be discussing it here, but yea I skimmed through the finale as well. It was huge in the UK back when I was at school, it aired at both lunch time and after school to catch both audiences. Apparently the Australian broadcaster used it to drive people toward their on demand service and removed it from regular TV, so it kinda killed it. Numbers in the UK dropped when it moved to Channel 5 and it just descended downward. 

It was barely an episode, more an excuse to roam around and talk to different people. Really strange watch.  They basically give up even pretending it’s fictional at a certain point, nobody is even in character. Also thought it was accidentally hilarious when they repeated the theme over and over at the end, like someone had started it too early and had to play it like 5 times.

People kept popping up at that wedding party who weren't even in any of the previous episodes :lol: The person I watched it with just guessed that they probably had a massive party on that final day of shooting and asked everyone who used to be on the cost to hang out. They just didn't care enough to explain it all. Only the old favorites got some screen time with dialogue.

Still strange to think it has ended. If you had asked me 3 years ago, I would have probably guessed that Neighbors would outlive me (and I plan to die at an age suited for Methuselah). Really quite stupid what the Australians did. Although it does not explain why no one stepped in to safe it. It can't be that expensive to make and the sheer nostalgia factor would probably bring in interesting demographics. For all the money being spent into streaming, you'd think there would be an appetite for cheap garbage with such a long pedigree.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:36 PM, RumHam said:

Apple TV and Amazon video annoy me because why are they doing that. They're like the two most profitable companies in america why do they need to pile on when there are already too many streaming services. 

It's all about locking you into their ecosystem and simultaneously diversifying their sources of revenue. The Verge had a nice short article about it a couple of years back https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/1/20942474/apple-tv-plus-amazon-prime-video-price-bundle-music-arcade-news-services 

On 9/23/2022 at 4:18 PM, DMC said:

Not really dislike, I just don't have it.

Ah got you, I thought there was some active dislike for the platform. But if it is just a question of managing the subscription load then that is perfectly understandeable. 

Watched "The Woman King"

As usual Viola Davis is solid, although in a bit of a turn for her, this was like she was channeling a "Regina King like" action character.

Its based on a true story (1820's West Africa).

Eta: Also saw a wonderful classic Western called  "The Big Country".

Stars Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Chuck Connors, Burl Ives. I loved it.

I mostly have been re-watching movies that I'd previously watched while drinking heavily or a child. 

-Sphere (1996?) - I like this movie. it's not perfect but it's creepy and never looks cheap. 

-Contact (97?)- I like this idea as an episode of star trek. Or the first episode of a mini-series dealing with the impact. The movie was an unsatisfying collection of often good scenes. 

-The Blob (1988) -The perfect B-movie. I could write an essay about amazing it is and how sad I am the sequel was never made. It's a really smart dumb movie that still parodies horror with a movie within a movie. 

-Body Snatchers (1993) - Takes a bit to get going but this and Halloween III have this great hopeless vibe. 

-The Block Island Sound -  I really liked this, it really makes you care about the family. Some elements are maybe problematic now. I love the ending.

-The Visit (2015) - X reminded me a bit of this, so I watched it again. I still don't find old people especially scary but The Visits' scary old people want non-sexual love and that's how I like my old people. Probably my favorite M. Night movie?

Zipped through the Chef's Table: Pizza series. I didn't find this quite as high quality a show as I have done in the past. The first ep with the guy from NYC who went to Arizona was a great opener. But the other eps just didn't feel quite as strong to me and they actually got a bit samey and felt like they dragged for me, especially the final one. I didn't feel as 'immersed' in the stories. If you're into pizza making and the 'process' of making stuff you should give it a go though.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

-Sphere (1996?) - I like this movie. it's not perfect but it's creepy and never looks cheap. 

Is it fair to say Sphere is kind of a boring yet enjoyable film? 

Also, based on your list you should check out The Faculty if you haven't seen it. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it fair to say Sphere is kind of a boring yet enjoyable film? 

Also, based on your list you should check out The Faculty if you haven't seen it. 

Yeah, that about sums it up. I have seen The Faculty but not in years I should revisit that too.

7 hours ago, Isis said:

Zipped through the Chef's Table: Pizza series. I didn't find this quite as high quality a show as I have done in the past. The first ep with the guy from NYC who went to Arizona was a great opener. But the other eps just didn't feel quite as strong to me and they actually got a bit samey and felt like they dragged for me, especially the final one. I didn't feel as 'immersed' in the stories. If you're into pizza making and the 'process' of making stuff you should give it a go though.

I'm just watching first episode. I find watching pizza being made so therapeutic.

Also his wife is so beautiful that he must be able to make some insane pizza. 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm just watching first episode. I find watching pizza being made so therapeutic.

Also his wife is so beautiful that he must be able to make some insane pizza. 

Hah!

I regret that the one time I was in Phoenix, years ago, I didn't even know about Pizzeria Bianco. It looks like god-tier stuff, and the Rosa pizza with rosemary, pistachios, and red onions looks incredible.

They showed it, but drew no attention to the can of tomatoes he was using near the end, labelled Bianco diNapoli. They're a brand he cofounded with Rob DiNapoli, who grows organic plum tomatoes in Northern California. They've won awards and have been ranked among the best canned tomatoes several years running at times, ahead of even the best San Marzano's imported from Italy. Lots of "artisinal" pizza makers that have grown up in the wake of Chris Bianco actually use them, something I've noticed when looking at various Youtube videos visiting pizza makers and so on.

Did not know so much of his story, and thought it was great. I'm most eager to see the Franco Pepe episode, and hope some day to actually get down to Grani outside of Naples to try it out.

When I first went skiing in Italy and had pizza from a proper pizza oven (newcastle has no pizza culture at all). It was a revelation, I remember being bamboozled the first time I saw a pizza go into an oven and come out 45 seconds later. I was sure the sauce was made out of something other than tomatoes, as it tasted so completely different to anything I ever tasted. 

If/when I win the lottery I'm having a pizza oven built in the garden. 

Archived