Watch, Watched, Watching: No Dragons Allowed

Ramsay B.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Why? Because Kirsten Whig...

Hide contents

...disappears at the end of the first act and never returns?

I was fine with the ending. I knew what the big revelation was going to be the moment they mentioned the "news story". in the middle of the film. I guess I don't read the same stuff as most Hollywood movie reviewers. 

I wish...

Hide contents

...more film makers had the guts to doom the human race. I have high hopes for the Avatar sequels. 

I wish I could remember more about the movie, my main recollection was that there was a really interesting premise where people are shrunk and how they would interact with non shrunken people and what that means for the world, but much of what made movie interesting disappeared in the second half when they go to the colony. I guess because everyone is shrunken it stops having a hook? 

Blonde.  Hmmm.  It was not really good but it had some good things, though it was a misfire.  Ana de Armas performance was riveting, but you only saw the vulnerable Monroe, never the Monroe who was fiercly ambitious and witty.  It isn't as bad as the reviews make it sound, but it also has some bad elements, like the fetus stuff was just not necessary.  They also kept in some of the worst inventions from the novel.  A really mixed bag.

Welcome to Wrexham delivered maybe its best episode to date, by delving into football hooliganism. I think there's been a bit too much of an automatic assumption that hooliganism is gone, or at least such a marginal issue it's no longer really a thing, so this episode delving into the scene in quite a lot of detail was surprising. It got a really good human interest angle by following one particular "hooligan" around.

Spoiler

The bit at the end where it turns out his girlfriend could not get the job she'd worked incredibly hard for in the police because of his arrest record was really shocking, and you can see she was struggling very hard not to have just left him over that.

This wasn't the first left-field non-sequitur episode they've had (the Welsh comedy sketch episode with Ryan and Rob in the studio comes to mind), but it was easily the best episode of the season.

The follow-up, where they're trying to work out whether to keep the manager or not, is almost as good, especially when Rob talks to the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles and he walks him through all the permutations and problems of that decision.

Also easily Rob's stupidest decision of the season:

Spoiler

Inviting all of his childhood friends to his It's Always Sunny-themed bar in Philadelphia to watch a match, which very clearly was going to result in it being the single most boring game of football ever seen by the human race.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

S2 of eastbound and down is nowhere near as good as S1. 

Yup. Season 1 was solid, Season 2 was poor and Season 3 was almost unwatchable. I think the success of the first season made them take any kind of overwatch away from Danny McBride, which is not a good idea. McBride can be funny, but he needs tempering.

The Hulu series Reboot, by the Modern Family creator Steven Levitan, by the third episode has become an interesting metamodernist meditation on the sit-com genre itself.  Every episode after the pilot is named after a past sit-com:  New Girl, Growing Pains, Girlfriends, What We Do In The Shadows, so far, without actually referencing or making homages to any of them as far as I can tell, though I wonder if I'm just missing them.

That Rachel Bloom is one of the stars but isn't writing and producing this is surprising to me, as a fan of her Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.   The pilot is immediately interesting but then became worrisome when they brought in the Paul Reiser character.  Him taking over the show seems like a bad idea because all he wants to do is the same kind of comedy that was going out of style 20-30 years ago.  Fortunately Reboot is doing more than that.

Rachel Bloom's Hannah opens by pitching a show to Hulu.  She's known for comedy which they call edgy, so are shocked when she pitches a reboot of an old early 2000's sit-com called Step On Up, but she pitches it using the same cast as the original, with a more realistic take, for example having the main male lead played by Keegan-Michael Key as having a dark secret that is revealed at the end of the pilot-within-the-pilot:  a secret that is actually reflective of the family secret Hannah endured growing up.  It's a good twist that makes sense of the Paul Reiser character barging in to take over the show.  Eventually they agree to be co-showrunners, and it comes together as a good duality integrating the old-style traditional sit-com and the meta-commentary style of post-postmodernist comedies.

Not sure yet how close to 30 Rock this will feel, I'm hoping for something more, but that's not a bad thing if it were similar.

Judy Greer, Johnny Knoxville and Calem Worthy also star as the Step On Up actors. 

I've gone into this 'funk' in which I am only watching on Sling TV Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Ancient Aliens, Malcolm in the Middle, Food Network, and some other shits, and then some random movies. Like Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men and when I see an Angelina Jolie movie on I watch it. Or Keanu Reeves flick. And trying to get into Inuyasha on my sister's Hulu account. I've not been exploring and cultivating my taste. Tsk, tsk. I've just been keeping it on all day long since on Sling they gots these and others on all day long instead of smoking cigarettes outside all day long. I'm honestly sad that I cannot watch the LOTR trilogy. I'm sort of in over my head when it comes to trying to get into watching TV honestly. I'm into things from when I was a kid and not into watching new things.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

Finished Resident Alien S02. Still enjoying it a lot. Alan Tudyk is a gem. Glad it got renewed tor a third season.

Yup, Tudyk is hilarious in the show. There are a few of the secondary plotlines I don't care about, but this season also managed some interesting twists.

@Zorral PS1 finally out. Fresher me starting college in two days so couldn't get a ticket. The nice theatres are all housefull for a week so it's next Sunday then. Hope I get a date ;)

Heard the US distributors got a million bucks in pre release booking itself, same as RRR. Reviews are fantastic, here's my go to man.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:02 AM, RhaenysBee said:
Spoiler

What irks me is HOW are they surprised that the island is/was a psychological experiment at this point? It may have been a surprise when they opened the hatch, but at this point it’s so blatantly obvious that I don’t see how some of the characters didn’t discuss it. Not the ones drive by faith in fate, but ones driven by reason and/or equipped with experience that would make it obvious to them. How did this conversation about the possibility at least never happen between Jack, Libby, Sayid? 

Also, Charlie is kinda mean…? Based on the flashbacks, pettiness isn’t a core character trait and he seems to be handling his addiction as of right now, so context please? Why is he being randomly mean to random people? Is this some sort overcompensation of an inferiority complex? Can we spend more time with him and address it please? 

Spoiler

On the hatch being a psychological experiment, Jack mentions it immediately to Desmond after watching the video in "Orientation."  Sayid doesn't really care, and Libby is not really exposed to the hatch enough to give an opinion.  I will say, me personally, when the video mentioned BF Skinner, that's a big tipoff for anyone that's familiar with behaviorists.

As for Charlie, I dunno...is he mean?  Sure.  But most of his actions make sense IRT someone getting over heroin addiction -- as well as someone holding such resentment as he is about his failed career.  Let's face it, in terms of the flashbacks, his addiction made him do horrible things before he ever crashed on that rock.  I can very much identify with that.  And yes, he does clearly have an inferiority complex.  They make that clear with his lead singer big brother.

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Finished the Reservation Dogs season 2 finale, and now my heart hurts. I don’t think a show has hit me in the feels as much as this one does since The Leftovers.

So glad it’s getting another season. 

Still waiting for it to arrive in the UK, but Season 1 was close to a masterpiece.

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

@Zorral PS1 finally out. Fresher me starting college in two days so couldn't get a ticket. The nice theatres are all housefull for a week so it's next Sunday then. Hope I get a date ;)

Heard the US distributors got a million bucks in pre release booking itself, same as RRR. Reviews are fantastic, here's my go to man.

https://www.imax.com/movies/ponniyin-selvan-i

9 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

OK!  BTW, the way your go to man starts his piece is terrific:

Book adaptations are strange beasts, and in my opinion, the only way to truly enjoy a movie based on a book is to… forget the book. ....

Thanks to you, I'll be better prepared to see it whenever the opportunity arrives -- though I'd be watching it whether you'd been coaching me or not -- still it will be even more enjoyable because I've got more to bring to it -- whenever that happens, anyway.

BTW, I was just wondering a couple of hours ago -- reading another article concerning the politicization and nationalism of Bollywood -- if you'd started school yet, and if you'd already watched!  Are you going to an IMAX?  Ya! get a date! So you can rave to each other afterwards!  

The Community movie is finally, officially happening at Peacock
Original series stars Joel McHale, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Gillian Jacobs, Ken Jeong, and Jim Rash will reunite with creator Dan Harmon for the long-promised feature.

https://ew.com/movies/community-movie-peacock-original-cast-confirmed/

Six seasons and a movie? You better believe it!

After years of promises from the cast and creators of NBC's beloved comedy Community that they would one day reunite in a film, NBC's streaming platform, Peacock, has officially announced it is moving forward with Community: The Movie. It will also acquire the full library of Community's six seasons, non-exclusively.

The project will reunite original series stars Joel McHale, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Gillian Jacobs, Jim Rash, and Ken Jeong, with McHale serving as executive producer. Original series creator Dan Harmon and executive producer Andrew Guest are also involved. Harmon said in an interview last month that the movie had been outlined and pitched — now we'll see the results.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

The Community movie is finally, officially happening at Peacock
Original series stars Joel McHale, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Gillian Jacobs, Ken Jeong, and Jim Rash will reunite with creator Dan Harmon for the long-promised feature.

https://ew.com/movies/community-movie-peacock-original-cast-confirmed/

That's dope, but Donald Glover not being involved is a huge shame. 

Archived