Watch, Watched, Watching: No Dragons Allowed

Ramsay B.

Been watching It's a Sin. Hadn't particularly intended to, but was browsing Netflix and was shown a short scene, thought 'I'll just give it five minutes because I really don't want to watch characters cope with AIDS' but got drawn in anyway. Russell T Davies's writing is so light and brilliant, and casting and direction are spot on, I couldn't stop. 

42 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Been watching It's a Sin. Hadn't particularly intended to, but was browsing Netflix and was shown a short scene, thought 'I'll just give it five minutes because I really don't want to watch characters cope with AIDS' but got drawn in anyway. Russell T Davies's writing is so light and brilliant, and casting and direction are spot on, I couldn't stop. 

It is wonderfully good, and terribly sad and awful and painful. There is an absolutely jaw droppingly well acted scene near the end that just floored me.

We briefly discussed why Gentleman Jack was cancelled.

"why are all the queer shows getting cancelled?" by Rowan Ellis explores which channel cancelled what, how modern streaming services work and how they define success for a show, how the new tv landscape generally shapes content and structure of shows, and whether this particularly affects representation of marginalized groups. (It's a Sin and the difficulties to get it made features prominently.)

On a totally unrelated note, I'm absolutely not a Star Wars person, but I'm thinking of giving Andor a chance. Heard good things about it. OTOH, it doesn't seem very popular (probably because of the very things that atract me), so it might get cancelled ...

17 hours ago, dog-days said:

We had to ration ourselves, it was too harrowing. But remarkable tv.

I'm guessing @Ran is referring to Keely Hawes tour de force acting performance? 

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Was not expecting a bang of that magnitude in the latest episode of The Good Fight as it goes out in fantastic fashion this season...

I haven't liked the show much since season 5, so I'm mostly watching for closure now - that, and the fabulous intro. I now actively dislike almost all the characters (even though I love some of the actors) and hope they'll

Spoiler

kill all of them in a giant terrorist attack or something in the finale. Having the building explode would fit the intro...

And sadly, Resident Alien has lost all its charme and fun, for me, in its second season.

Woman Walks Ahead

Jessica Chastain plays a portrait painter from NYC who travels west to paint the Great Chief Sitting Bull (at the Standing Rock reservation) who is played by Michael Greyeyes.

This story and movie, streaming on HBO, is extraordinary, it was a second viewing for me and it was every bit enlightening as I remembered it.

Edited to add-

Jun 24, 2019  Her painting was hanging in Sitting Bull's cabin on Dec. 15, 1890. On that morning a gunfight broke out when Indian

Speaking of paintings, was there a movie where Jamie Lannister hunted an art thief while he hid in an outhouse pile of shit? I have vivid memories of a theater experience but have never been able to place it with any specific movie that I may have seen while bombed out of my mind. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Speaking of paintings, was there a movie where Jamie Lannister hunted an art thief while he hid in an outhouse pile of shit? I have vivid memories of a theater experience but have never been able to place it with any specific movie that I may have seen while bombed out of my mind. 

Headhunters.

I watched Ladyhawke and the latest episode of the Rings of Power yesterday. I won't talk about the latter, apart from saying that I find it singularly terrible at the moment and have already said my piece in the dedicated thread.

Ladyhawke on the other hand, is something that I will talk about with quite some joy. I actually think this might be one of the best fantasy movies I have ever seen and it came out of nowhere. A friend and I decided to watch some 1980s fantasy classics more than a year ago (Willow, Dragonslayer, I also started Krull) but none of those ever rose above the level of guilty pleasure for me.

Ladyhawke on the other hand was genuinely good. I love the cast, the fights were well done and I felt really transported to some medieval legend. The world the film inhabited felt far more authentic than a lot of other stuff we get to see passed off as fantasy (*glares at Rings of Power*). The film is also shot in a rather modern way. Looking at it, it didn't have anything particularly 1980s about it apart from the score (which was the weakest element of this film I would say, the synths were overbearing).

So yeah, if you want to see some good fantasy and haven't seen Ladyhawke yet. There is no time like the present.

I find Matthew Broderick out of place in the film, just because of the accent, and the score... the score is deadly. Woof. Can't really watch the film now, but certainly Michelle Pfeifer and Rutger Hauer (RIP) were great and the basic story idea was excellent.

Watched Andrew Dominik's Blonde on Netflix. I see it is very divisive. Personally, I found it gripping, with Ana de Armas doing a particularly strong turn. The visuals are excellent -- I also saw, after watching the film, that certain sequences and visual choices brought to mind David Lynch (especially Mulholland Drive) to others besides myself -- and the score from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis is a beautiful juxtaposition to what is, essentially, a horror movie about what it might have been like to suffer as the greatest sex symbol of the 20th century.

A cursory look at commentary on its fidelity to history -- I don't really know more than a broad outline of Monroe's story -- certainly fit what I had expected, that it basically had extremely little connection to history... but that's all right, because this film doesn't purport to be a biography or the truth, it's a 21st century look back at the ugliness of sex and celebrity in the mid-20th century crystallized through an almost-mythic Marilyn Monroe, a figment created by others really haunting and possessing Norma Jean Mortenson at times as she's driven inexorably on towards her inevitable, even necessary, destruction.

Not at all a film for people who are fans of Monroe, to be honest -- I suspect it is both too luridly painful and too open-heartedly false to suit them -- but for those who want to see a beautifully-shot horror film, this is it.

57 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Time for a new thread -- somebody got a good title?

Watch, watched, watching: Amazon's Stinks of Power :P

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I find Matthew Broderick out of place in the film, just because of the accent, and the score... the score is deadly. Woof. Can't really watch the film now, but certainly Michelle Pfeifer and Rutger Hauer (RIP) were great and the basic story idea was excellent.

The score is indeed rather dreadful and I get your take on Broderick. He warmed on me during the film however and I thought his asides to God were rather well done ;) 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Watch, watched, watching: Amazon's Stinks of Power :P

The score is indeed rather dreadful and I get your take on Broderick. He warmed on me during the film however and I thought his asides to God were rather well done ;) 

Watch, watched, watching: Veltigar's only thread. :laugh:

Archived