House of the Dragon Renewed for a 2nd Season

Westeros

This tweet says it all:

Over at The Hollywood Reporter, James Hibberd provides a bit more detail, citing HBO’s report that in the US the show has cleared over 20 million viewers since the premiere, the kind of strong opening they were hoping for.

View the full article

The future of the franchise is secured for another decade and I couldn't be more pleased.

And while the renewal is impressive, I think the fact 20,000,000 people have watched episode 1 in the first week is actually the more important factoid.

Interest is there. Massive. Sustained.

Well that sucks. I was hoping for the franchise to be torpedoed. But anyways I don't find the Targaryens interesting in a high dosage and the Dance with Dragons has less interesting characters compare to the Blackfyre rebellion.  

The dialogue of the pilot was lackluster, the gratuity wasn't historically accurate and didn't add to the story or characterization. 

BUT, it seems people love it so who cares what I think. 

2 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Not talking about killing interest, just wondering how much it will succeed in generating as people actually watch over the weeks.

As I said in another thread, it had to be absolutely beyond awful to make people stop watching. And I think we can all agree that it wasn't. 

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

This has been out on Twitter for at least the past hour?  Seems legit, I already forget half the places I bounced around for the info.  

Yeah, this was leaked a while ago, but we couldn’t be sure if it was accurate or not.

41 minutes ago, Benjencold said:

It’s hard to tell after tell after just one (slightly daemon centric ) episode , there just setting the stage ,it was a good start though, the Blackfyre rebellion may have more interesting characters but no dragons , people love dragons more apparently 

I haven’t really seen much conversation about the dragons though. I think it’s more the world overall that people like.

8 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

If season 8 couldn't kill interest in the IP, then I doubt the HotD pilot will.

For someone who wasn’t going to watch the show, you have done one heck of a 180, my friend!

4 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

Well that sucks. I was hoping for the franchise to be torpedoed. But anyways I don't find the Targaryens interesting in a high dosage and the Dance with Dragons has less interesting characters compare to the Blackfyre rebellion.  

The dialogue of the pilot was lackluster, the gratuity wasn't historically accurate and didn't add to the story or characterization. 

BUT, it seems people love it so who cares what I think. 

Take solace in the dumb culture war blowback. Alicent and Rhaenyra’s actresses have been teasing a romance between them for a while, which we know is BS, so you can expect some queer baiting think pieces within a week or two.

35 minutes ago, Benjencold said:

the Blackfyre rebellion may have more interesting characters but no dragons , people love dragons more apparently 

4 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

But anyways I don't find the Targaryens interesting in a high dosage and the Dance with Dragons has less interesting characters compare to the Blackfyre rebellion.  

I agree that Blackfyre rebellions (the first one specifically) had more interesting  characters and more intriguing relationship dynamics. but it would have been just a fictional historical drama . there are already many good enough examples of those. the only thing new with it would have been some incestual love triangles which hardly sounds like an advantage  . dance of the dragons however, has the potential of a more fantastical world ,with dragons and Alys Rivers which could make it stand out amongst other succession/power struggles on TV . I don't know , I guess we should wait and see if they can actually make something special out of it other than a money factory entertainment.

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Take solace in the dumb culture war blowback. Alicent and Rhaenyra’s actresses have been teasing a romance between them for a while, which we know is BS, so you can expect some queer baiting think pieces within a week or two.

errr... are you saying we might not even get Laena /Rhaenyra's friendship but we might get hints of Alicent/Rhaenyra's romantic feelings ?!

1 minute ago, EggBlue said:

errr... are you saying we might not even get Laena /Rhaenyra's friendship but we might get hints of Alicent/Rhaenyra's romantic feelings ?!

I don’t think we’re going to get any actual romantic scenes between them, just some vibes (that’ll presumably disappear when Alicent marries Viserys).

Spoiler

It doesn’t sound like Rhaenyra and Laena interact at all.

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don’t think we’re going to get any actual romantic scenes between them, just some vibes (that’ll presumably disappear when Alicent marries Viserys).

Hide contents

It doesn’t sound like Rhaenyra and Laena interact at all.

:bang: well, that one would certainly be a lost opportunity. and I'm not really about "being more than fond of" here . I'm talking about their friendship . we've been complaining enough about how sisterly bonds are rare in asoiaf as opposed to brotherly bonds . besides , Laena/Rhaenyra relationship would work perfectly in contrast to Rhaenyra/Alicent 's ruined one . 

5 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The Blackfyre Rebellions have plenty of magic going on but it's all subtle Bryden Rivers stuff.

I also think that the Blackfyres aren't very interesting villains compared to the Hightowers.

its magical elements are not as bold as Dance's 

that's more of a question of taste I suppose but the interesting thing about Blackfyre rebellion ,in my opinion, is that its villain are not really villain . Daeron and Daemon are definitely heroic figures in each side and closest you get to villains, it's with Bloodraven and Bittersteel which makes it even more curious to see why the hell they fought . 

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

For someone who wasn’t going to watch the show, you have done one heck of a 180, my friend!

Hey, another 180 and it will be a 360. B)

But seriously, I'm judging based on what I see. As I said in the other thread, I was on the fence when the mixed reviews started coming in, but now it's full steam ahead. 

For the record, I'm talking about how successful I think the show will be, not what I personally thought about the episode.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

8 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I agree that Blackfyre rebellions (the first one specifically) had more interesting  characters and more intriguing relationship dynamics. but it would have been just a fictional historical drama . there are already many good enough examples of those. the only thing new with it would have been some incestual love triangles which hardly sounds like an advantage  . dance of the dragons however, has the potential of a more fantastical world ,with dragons and Alys Rivers which could make it stand out amongst other succession/power struggles on TV . I don't know , I guess we should wait and see if they can actually make something special out of it other than a money factory entertainment.

They could of had Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar dabble is some occult magic, also just focus on the families obsession with resurrecting magical elements. Anyways the 'magical' elements (the dragons) in this show don't work. 

The dragons in this show don't work because they are generic set dressing that distract from the plot. The reason why people loved the GOT dragons is because: 

1. The world was distinctly none-magical so having a character with dragons people don't believe in added to suspense for when these beast would upend the war in Westeros by completely tipping the balance one way and ruining all the machinations of the characters we love to hate. It was a hilarious supposition that while watching Baelish, Tywin, the Freys, the Boltons, etc. kill all the characters we are rooting for because they were better 'players' to get their componence. This also includes the threat of the white walkers. 

2. They were Dany's dragons alone and people wanted to believe in her dreams of a better world and how she could really do the impossible and move mountains. This was before people had figured out the destruction of the slavers wasn't a sign of her idealistic morals but a simplistic moral conflict to hide her evilness from view.    

Now everyone has dragons and they are utilized in the most utilitarian ways. They aren't signs of magic in a none magic world, nor do they signify some spiritual power greater than the petty machinations of men. They are tools to set bonfires, modes of transportation, and perform other mundane tasks in a completely integrated way with the rest of society. 

And people who don't care about fantasy don't care about that. It's funny when Martin says the story isn't about the dragons but the personal conflicts, which makes me wonder what is the point of having them at all? If they symbolize nothing and are just practical weapons, all they do is detract from the pseudo-realism and make the world feel less grounded thereby detracting from their claims that the brutality being historically accurate. 

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

that's more of a question of taste I suppose but the interesting thing about Blackfyre rebellion ,in my opinion, is that its villain are not really villain . Daeron and Daemon are definitely heroic figures in each side and closest you get to villains, it's with Bloodraven and Bittersteel which makes it even more curious to see why the hell they fought . 

It depends on how you choose to view Daemon as I tend to view the fact that he rebelled purely under the view of ambition rather than any noble quality against a good king who had shown himself as a peacemaker as well as scholar. Bloodraven had the quality of, "I am not using kids gloves to put this group down." Mind you, we have always had the idea that Bloodraven knew the Others were coming and for whatever reason the Blackfyres had to be stopped at all costs from being on the Iron Throne.

2 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

The dragons in this show don't work because they are generic set dressing that distract from the plot.

I disagree that the dragons are there to distract from the plot, they are a part of the plot. That being said, I'm not sure that the dragons will be as much of a draw as the showrunners hope, simply because we live in an age where everything is possible with enough CGI work. We have the Godzilla movies, with monsters as large as cities. We have the Jurassic World movies. We have the MCU, which is absolutely drenched in all kinds of visual effects, so the dragons on HotD might not be that impressive.

I do believe that audiences will show up for the drama, as was the case with GoT.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy