House of the Dragon Renewed for a 2nd Season

Westeros

I am somewhat concerned as to how well the numbers of watchers will hold as the series progresses and they realize how much violence and mayhem most of the protagonists commit; and that there are not too many characters to cheer for, not to mention so many characters being killed (Game of Thrones had several like a people survive).  So far, there are just two characters I like as people (considering their entire arcs) and one of them will die.  I plan to watch the show until the end; but I'm not sure how much dropoff in ratings will occur over the course of this season and the next (hopefully not too much, but a certain scene involving Blood and Cheese, whenever it appears, might have an impact; though I'd be fine with their choosing not to include the scene at all)...

44 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I am somewhat concerned as to how well the numbers of watchers will hold as the series progresses and they realize how much violence and mayhem most of the protagonists commit; and that there are not too many characters to cheer for, not to mention so many characters being killed (Game of Thrones had several like a people survive).  So far, there are just two characters I like as people (considering their entire arcs) and one of them will die.  I plan to watch the show until the end; but I'm not sure how much dropoff in ratings will occur over the course of this season and the next (hopefully not too much, but a certain scene involving Blood and Cheese, whenever it appears, might have an impact; though I'd be fine with their choosing not to include the scene at all)...

I think it should be fine in that regard . what matters is how these characters' arcs will unfold as they move from point A to point B . take Alicent for example ,there is no reason for someone who's got no prior knowledge about the story to dislike her or not root for her at the beginning . especially with how her dynamic with Rhaenyra as the evil stepmother is changed . quite the opposite actually , everyone will sympathize with her .and when she finally reaches her point B when she is ready to cut out a 5 yr old kid's eye out , you'll get Haelana on Green side for people to root for and sympathize with. likewise , when Daemon reaches Blood and Cheese incident you have Baella to root for and care about and Jace/Joff whenever Rhaenyra reaches her low point . therefore, in the entirety of the story there will be more than a character or two for new fans to like and that's the whole point.

22 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I mean it seems they've absolutely white washed Rhaenyra and Daemon. I fully expect Blood and Cheese to be something not done at Daemon's behest.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

2 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean it seems they've absolutely white washed Rhaenyra and Daemon. I fully expect Blood and Cheese to be something not done at Daemon's behest.

Or is TV-Rhaenyra still too young to have grown into the viciousness she later displays?  Of course, she hasn't tried to seduce anyone yet; but that might come soon.  Daemon is more boyish and bratty than he was in the book, I think, also definitely more needy.  

I wish they would skip the Blood and Cheese episode entirely and have their horrible deed be a random act of possibly mob violence (perhaps combining it with Maelor's eventual fate), but I doubt, judging by just the first two episode, that HBO will pass up the chance to intensify the violence content in the show.

3 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Or is TV-Rhaenyra still too young to have grown into the viciousness she later displays?  Of course, she hasn't tried to seduce anyone yet; but that might come soon.  Daemon is more boyish and bratty than he was in the book, I think, also definitely more needy.  

I wish they would skip the Blood and Cheese episode entirely and have their horrible deed be a random act of possibly mob violence (perhaps combining it with Maelor's eventual fate), but I doubt, judging by just the first two episode, that HBO will pass up the chance to intensify the violence content in the show.

I mean Blood and Cheese is an iconic piece of television in the making.

You'd be crazy to skip it, like the Red Wedding.

But it will either be:

1. Blood and Cheese deciding to kill the king's son instead of Otto Hightower or Aegon and Aemond themselves.

2. Mysaria's idea

3. A sort of Henry II "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest!?" sort of thing

9 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

I mean, Aegon is already born at the start of episode 3 so they could wrap this up in 2 seasons.

I think the problem is that people assume that all of this courtly intrigue is anything but background to the show where they want it to be about the Dance.

7 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think the problem is that people assume that all of this courtly intrigue is anything but background to the show where they want it to be about the Dance.

By people do you mean the showrunners or the audience? 

Because the script is blowing through the setup like there is no tomorrow. The king has a wife? Dead. 

Alicent is set to seduce the king? Skip all that and get to the betrothal. 

Rhaenyra and Alicent are friends? One scene and done. 

Daemon and Otto have a feud? Banish Daemon before the end of the first episode and set him off into a pirate battle by the end of the second. 

The promo for the third episode blew my socks off, they are already talking about making Aegon king. Like this is the stuff people blamed D&D for in the later seasons. 

Writing conversations that are authentic and convincing of a shift in emotions is too hard so they just time skip it and shrug off the character development (which is the fun of following the same character through a television series).

On 8/26/2022 at 7:54 PM, EggBlue said:

errr... are you saying we might not even get Laena /Rhaenyra's friendship but we might get hints of Alicent/Rhaenyra's romantic feelings ?!

Bleh. Laena/Rhaenyra is a lot better than Alicent/Rhaenyra. Especially since I read the book, and the idea is tainted. 

On 8/30/2022 at 3:43 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

But it will either be:

1. Blood and Cheese deciding to kill the king's son instead of Otto Hightower or Aegon and Aemond themselves. 

It was what the book itself suggested, wasn't it? That they were supposed to kill Aegon or Aemond, but the first was too well guarded and the second wasn't even in KL. Because what Blood and Cheese actually did makes zero sense and it would have been so much better to hang on to the knowledge of the secret passages for a decisive advantage. Rhaenyra wasn't implicated in it at all, she was just told that Luke would be avenged.

50 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Because the script is blowing through the setup like there is no tomorrow. The king has a wife? Dead.

Was there something more? Aemma’s death is the inciting event.

Alicent is set to seduce the king? Skip all that and get to the betrothal.

She was sent to ingratiate herself, which was shown effectively.

Rhaenyra and Alicent are friends? One scene and done. 

There were actually several such scenes already.

Daemon and Otto have a feud? Banish Daemon before the end of the first episode and set him off into a pirate battle by the end of the second. 

And? That in no way detracts from or negates it. Them having a feud isn’t contingent on being physically handicapped in the same room.

The promo for the third episode blew my socks off, they are already talking about making Aegon king. Like this is the stuff people blamed D&D for in the later seasons.

Otto was talking about making Aegon the heir, which was transparently his plan all along. And Rhaenys already noted that this would happen. Not sure why it would wait.

Have people not watched The Crown? Or John Adams, The Thorn Birds, etc.? Decades-spanning sagas on TV have to smartly pick the key events to show and convey to the viewer the passage of time.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:43 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean Blood and Cheese is an iconic piece of television in the making.

You'd be crazy to skip it, like the Red Wedding.

But it will either be:

2. Mysaria's idea

3. A sort of Henry II "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest!?" sort of thing

I think they’ll probably have it so that B&C are sent in to assassinate Aegon but they settle on Jaehaerys instead. Mysaria has been hell-a whitewashed, and Daemon is more of a manchild than a schemer. That said, I hope they surprise me and stick to the books.

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

They’re going to need to add courtly intrigue to the remaining seasons though. The Dance is very bare-bones in it’s telling, and they can’t rely on (nor afford) battles alone.

I think this could be told well in a very compact three-season stint. If the ratings continue as they are, however, HBO will probably push for four. The problem with the end of the Dance is that almost all the main characters are dead, save Corlys and Alicent. I think they should condense the regency and have the Hour of the Wolf followed immediately by Viserys’ return. That would make for a bittersweet end.

1 hour ago, Maia said:

It was what the book itself suggested, wasn't it? That they were supposed to kill Aegon or Aemond, but the first was too well guarded and the second wasn't even in KL. Because what Blood and Cheese actually did makes zero sense and it would have been so much better to hang on to the knowledge of the secret passages for a decisive advantage. Rhaenyra wasn't implicated in it at all, she was just told that Luke would be avenged.

The book speculates about Aegon II being the original target but he was too well-guarded. Aemond is not mentioned, but him being an impressive fighter in his own right and him residing in Maegor's Holdfast as the king's brother would make it very hard (if not impossible) for two goons to surprise him (even more so since only Blood was a fighter).

I imagine in the show Otto and Alicent will go to great lengths to protect Aegon & Aemond 24/7 in the wake of the Lucerys incident, unintentionally leaving Helaena and the children (and Alicent herself) exposed. We would also expect that Mysaria and Blood and Cheese themselves make the final call on the matter, neither double-checking with Daemon or Rhaenyra who to target.