House of the Dragon Renewed for a 2nd Season

Westeros

2 hours ago, Colonel Green said:

Was there something more? Aemma’s death is the inciting event.

She was sent to ingratiate herself, which was shown effectively.

There were actually several such scenes already.

And? That in no way detracts from or negates it. Them having a feud isn’t contingent on being physically handicapped in the same room.

Otto was talking about making Aegon the heir, which was transparently his plan all along. And Rhaenys already noted that this would happen. Not sure why it would wait.

Have people not watched The Crown? Or John Adams, The Thorn Birds, etc.? Decades-spanning sagas on TV have to smartly pick the key events to show and convey to the viewer the passage of time.

None of which changes how all the character development is done through off-screen engagements whereas the viewers are only given a hint as to what any relationship is like. 

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

They’re going to need to add courtly intrigue to the remaining seasons though. The Dance is very bare-bones in it’s telling, and they can’t rely on (nor afford) battles alone.

I think this could be told well in a very compact three-season stint. If the ratings continue as they are, however, HBO will probably push for four. The problem with the end of the Dance is that almost all the main characters are dead, save Corlys and Alicent. I think they should condense the regency and have the Hour of the Wolf followed immediately by Viserys’ return. That would make for a bittersweet end.

The first season of this show is seemingly a very tightly-focused Targaryen family drama. The writers have a lot of interesting choices to make in future seasons as to how they handle the other theatres of the conflict aside from the King's Landing/Dragonstone axis.

Some things seem obvious; for instance, I'd be amazed if Cregan Stark isn't effectively used as a replacement for Roderick Dustin, because I have a hard time imagining them having him ally with Jacaerys in S2E1-2 or whatever and then not show up again until like the Season 4 premiere.

Fans have pointed out that the opening credits appears to deliberately reference a number of houses that play prominent roles in the Dance, most notably Peake and Dustin. I suspect this means Roddy the Ruin will be a character, but I could see him being a senior advisor and commander for Cregan, who joins the fight right off rather than taking the time to see the harvest brought in before coming down.

poor HOT D , it has to go against Game of Thrones , Rings of Power , She-Hulk and probably Harry Potter and LotR trilogy! and only in episode 2:lmao:

granted , it hasn't been great , but it's not one of those shows you drop after two episodes. it's fairly above average! we all just need to give it a season to see what it's got. *

* I am still unsure whether pre dance era in one season is rushed or simply necessary . I wished I could just binge watch it.

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Rings of Power is probably going to flop. 

HOTD wasn’t getting any buzz before it premiered either. It was getting dwarfed by She-Hulk. I’m sure a lot of people who aren’t involved in any of the online communities will watch it. As much as the book fans may hate it, most people who watch LOTR have never read it.

Alan Taylor is coming in to direct and act as executive producer, but Ryan Condal is now sole show runner. From remarks Sapochnik has made about his reluctance to jump back on the GoT train, the three years of work that this involved, plus the fact that the show's a hit and its future seems secure, looks like the right time to step back.

Damn, that’s really surprising. Did he not expect HOTD to be renewed for another season? He’s apparently in talks with HBO to produce a new show, so this isn’t about him taking some down time.

Hilariously, Alan Taylor’s last GOT episode was Beyond the Wall (although he arguably did the best he could with the script). A lot of people were excited about Miguel directing some battles, so there will be some very disappointed show fans out there.

Condal should get a new co-showrunner, both for stress management and so that he doesn’t get all the blame if half the audience turns on the show, ala D&D.

53 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

HOTD wasn’t getting any buzz before it premiered either. It was getting dwarfed by She-Hulk. I’m sure a lot of people who aren’t involved in any of the online communities will watch it. As much as the book fans may hate it, most people who watch LOTR have never read it.

I put this in this GOT topic because it directly addresses the condition of those who haven't read, but love the screen version of something, and watch it multiple times.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/08/lord-rings-power-tolkien-books-amazon-show.html

By someone who never read LoTR, but adored the films starting when he was a kid.  It's a sweet read, actually.

Don’t Read Lord of the Rings Before Watching Rings of Power. It’s Fine!
In defense of the ignorant viewer.

I'm someone who would have to paid a very great deal of money to read a WoT novel -- and I tried, more than once. But I enjoyed that first season of WoT on screen.

As we see right here on this forum, by a vast, vast majority, the commentators here are book readers who discuss below the nub how this isn't what is in the books, what this should mean according to the books etc.  It's about the books, it's about the HBO GOT, it's about the GOT books far far more than this new HBO show.  Non bookers aren't bothering.

Except me, to a degree, and would like to skip this kind of discussion all together. However on this forum it's clear few to none are interested in discussing the show at all without constant book reference.  Which, if that's what the people here want, that's what they have, right?  That's how it works.

OTOH I had read the GOT books from the first vol.'s first day of publication -- but only once, and skimmed massive numbers of the pages the more books there were.  I have LotR more times now than I can remember, which remembering the number failed sometime after 100.  Cared little for The Hobbit, and was never able to read The Silmarillion.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I put this in this GOT topic because it directly addresses the condition of those who haven't read, but love the screen version of something, and watch it multiple times.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/08/lord-rings-power-tolkien-books-amazon-show.html

By someone who never read LoTR, but adored the films starting when he was a kid.  It's a sweet read, actually.

Don’t Read Lord of the Rings Before Watching Rings of Power. It’s Fine!
In defense of the ignorant viewer.

I'm someone who would have to paid a very great deal of money to read a WoT novel -- and I tried, more than once. But I enjoyed that first season of WoT on screen.

I’ve tried reading Tolkien so many times and could never get into it. I eventually listened to the audiobook of Fellowship but even then was born (I also read The Hobbit and thought it was fine). But I still love all the movies, including the Hobbit trilogy.

Don't think they have to increase the role of Cregan Stark in the beginning. If they want to go with more Stark action, just have Jace actually marry Sara Snow and take her down to Dragonstone with him. That could be fun. They could even be the parents of Daenaera Velaryon in the show.

I thought the Jackson films were better than the books, but whatever, that is just me. 

I think Rings of Power is thought of more favorably by the mainstream media compared to House of the Dragon, but I guess we will find out! 

About Condal, the guy is not an amazing writer, he is a loyal book nerd which was important to Martin but a loyal book nerd doesn't make him great at writing a script. 

Actually, I think D&D are better than him at that, but supposedly Condal is willing to let others give it a shot so will see, but so far the writing and directing has been mediocre while the set design and acting have been above par.

15 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

About Condal, the guy is not an amazing writer, he is a loyal book nerd which was important to Martin but a loyal book nerd doesn't make him great at writing a script. 

Actually, I think D&D are better than him at that, but supposedly Condal is willing to let others give it a shot so will see, but so far the writing and directing has been mediocre while the set design and acting have been above par.

I agree with this about the writing . (directing has been pretty good actually, can't say the same thing about the editing though !) . I think it's a great idea to have a devoted book fan who is also in the industry as the showrunner but not necessary the sole writer. thankfully he and HBO think the same way . so , I hope next episodes are an improvement. fingers crossed

On 8/31/2022 at 6:52 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

I can’t really blame Alan Taylor for Beyond the Wall anymore than I can Sapochnik for “The Long Night”

I can.

There was nothing wrong with the direction or cinematography of "Beyond the Wall." The problem with that episode was the writing and the acting. There were many, many things wrong with the direction, editing and cinematography of "The Long Night."

Archived