Big Flying Rockets: Space Launches V

SpaceChampion

NASA has modified the HLS contract with SpaceX to order a second Starship landing on the Moon in 2027, to fulfill the mandate for sustainable exploration of the Moon "sustaining requirements for missions beyond Artemis III, including docking with Gateway, accommodating four crew members, and delivering more mass to the surface."

Edited by SpaceChampion

17 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Didn't Andy Weir write something about a Project Artemis?

Let's hope this goes better than The Martian or Hail Mary.

Could be wrong, but I think it was Project Ares in The Martian.

46 minutes ago, baxus said:

Could be wrong, but I think it was Project Ares in The Martian.

I think you're right there; but not what I'm talking about - I thought he had a whole novel on a Project Artemis.
I've only read The Martian and Hail Mary though, so I'm not surely sure. I'm also at work, so not about to go hunting.

Edited by Which Tyler

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I think you're right there; but not what I'm talking about - I thought he had a whole novel on a Project Artemis.
I've only read The Martian and Hail Mary though, so I'm not surely sure. I'm also at work, so not about to go hunting.

He has a novel with the name Artemis in it. It takes place on the Moon when the Moon has a city on it. I never read it, so I don't know the plot.

On 11/16/2022 at 5:21 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This is supposed to be a NASA site for tracking Artemis I.  It isn’t loading on my iPhone 7 so… FYI:

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/trackartemis/

If that doesn't work for you, it's also being tracked in Eyes: https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/orrery/#/sc_artemis_1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, Which Tyler said:

Artemis was the name of the lunar city where the protagonist lives in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Historical fact. Do you know the real reason why NASA launched its missions from Cape Caneveral? Location, location, location.

How else do you get people willing to enter a rocket to get shot into a dark black void other than promise that it will take them as far away from Florida as humanly possible (178).

This is how the Apollo mission recruitment actually went:

Ok, we want to shoot you on that lifeless rock orbiting Earth. There's no oxygen or food there. We can't force you to go, you can also stay another six weeks in Florida. Your choice.

Needless to say pretty much everybody wanted to be on that missions from then on.