[Spoilers] Episode 102 Discussion

Ran

13 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This is one of the funniest threads I’ve ever read. I swear this is what some Matt Smith stans sound like :lmao:

If you value your sanity, I'd advice you to avoid the House of the Dragon subreddit like the plague. The only way I'll check that subreddit is when something that goes against the general circlejerk happens on the show. I do like watching meltdowns, plus... I love the taste of salt. :rofl:

Edited by zajaz

I finally got to watch the promo for episode 3 , and damn ... I did not expect to find myself so excited for Stepstones! but I am excited .

another thing there , I know we've been focusing on how aging up Rhaenyra has whitewashed Alicent for the beginning of the series ( I still think we can properly hate her in future!) , but the impact is much higher on Criston Cole ... I mean , as Rhaenyra's sworn shield throughout her childhood , Criston feels much more like a creepy uncle figure than Daemon ever did , considering Daemon left when she was a kid and returned when she was a grown woman (by Westerosi standards of course) . this has totally changed the dynamic there and in this version Rhaenyra could potentially be the bad guy in that story...

3 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I finally got to watch the promo for episode 3 , and damn ... I did not expect to find myself so excited for Stepstones! but I am excited .

another thing there , I know we've been focusing on how aging up Rhaenyra has whitewashed Alicent for the beginning of the series ( I still think we can properly hate her in future!) , but the impact is much higher on Criston Cole ... I mean , as Rhaenyra's sworn shield throughout her childhood , Criston feels much more like a creepy uncle figure than Daemon ever did , considering Daemon left when she was a kid and returned when she was a grown woman (by Westerosi standards of course) . this has totally changed the dynamic there and in this version Rhaenyra could potentially be the bad guy in that story...

I mean, I totally believe it will be a full fledged romance gone bad.

6 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I mean, there seems to be a hint of mutual attraction between those two, so whatever happens in this version must be akin to a really bad and nasty breakup, by my estimation.

6 minutes ago, zajaz said:

I mean, there seems to be a hint of mutual attraction between those two, so whatever happens in this version must be akin to a really bad and nasty breakup, by my estimation.

yeah. a nasty break up + a power imbalance between princess and stable boy + a vengeful ex lover that cannot let go after 20 years 

8 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

yeah. a nasty break up + a power imbalance between princess and stable boy + a vengeful ex lover that cannot let go after 20 years 

I mean I've heard second hand accounts about experiences like that (minus the princess and common boy trope). A couple that breaks up in such a nasty way that even mentioning the one to the other makes them go mad. I seem to recall that there is an old trope about how (depending how things develop) a lustful passion can turn into a deep love, or a deep hatred.

Edited by zajaz

26 minutes ago, zajaz said:

I mean I've heard second hand accounts about experiences like that (minus the princess and common boy trope). A couple that breaks up in such a nasty way that even mentioning the one to the other makes them go mad. I seem to recall that there is an old trope about how (depending how things develop) a lustful passion can turn into a deep love, or a deep hatred.

I take it as George R.R. Martin doing his normal thing of taking a very common fantasy trope and putting the absolute worst possible result of it, sort of like Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark. In this case, Criston Cole almost certainly falls in love with Rhaenyra and quite possibly eventually consummates their relationship. However, he wants her to run away with him and make a honest love match that she (justifiably) turns down.

He then watches her replace him with another knight who not only gets the place she offered him but sires three beautiful children on with the potential of them being kings (and the official father not caring). Not only is that heartbreak but add humiliation and the fact that on a purely ID level that Criston Cole is going to have missed out on winning the Medieval lottery.

Being honorable fucking sucked.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

12 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

GOT at least early on had a great man such scenes either between Tywin and Tyrion, Cersei and Ned, Baelish and Varys, etc. that had some underlining subtext and tension, here the stuff is straightforward and to the point saying all that needs to be said. 

All of these were in the latter episodes pal, it's been literally two so far.

So I fully admit that this is a wierd thing.....

I really like the Grandmaesters dry tone and cadence, and I'm really looking forward to the famous line discussing Reanrya and Laenor Velaryons marriage and the latters know preferences.

"What of it? I don't care for fish, but when fish is served i eat it"

He seems like the perfect straight man to deliver this line lol

Not only is Rhaenyra turning Cole down a subversion of the star-crossed lovers trope, but so is him becoming an obsessive spurned lover hellbent on destroying her life, rather than remaining heartbroken but stoic (which is more in line with what we know of the Dragonknight).

2 hours ago, zajaz said:

If you value your sanity, I'd advice you to avoid the House of the Dragon subreddit like the plague. The only way I'll check that subreddit is when something that goes against the general circlejerk happens on the show. I do like watching meltdowns, plus... I love the taste of salt. :rofl:

That sub convinced me that toxic positivity is a real thing. It’s one of the nastiest non-political subs I’ve seen, and really hammers home just how effing insane GOT fans are.

The funny thing is, there have been a few threads recently gently criticizing the writing/pacing, and the reactions were predictably nuclear. 

If you really want to have some fun, check out some of @butterweedstrover’s arguments on there ;)

8 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Not only is Rhaenyra turning Cole down a subversion of the star-crossed lovers trope, but so is him becoming an obsessive spurned lover hellbent on destroying her life, rather than remaining heartbroken but stoic (which is more in line with what we know of the Dragonknight).

Sadly, Martin also subverted it by having the two never see each other again too. No final confrontation for catharsis.

24 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The funny thing is, there have been a few threads recently gently criticizing the writing/pacing, and the reactions were predictably nuclear. 

If you really want to have some fun, check out some of @butterweedstrover’s arguments on there ;)

The pacing is perhaps my only nitpick for now. I feel like they are jumping in time too many times too often this season. Next season will be a snail pace compared to this. I wonder if maybe the writers could have made Daemon & Rhaenyra's wedding the season finale, but I do admit that would not be dramatic nor action-packed enough. Still, nothing so far has been bad on the show (except Mysaria's accent :ack:).

Edited by zajaz

21 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Sadly, Martin also subverted it by having the two never see each other again too. No final confrontation for catharsis.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the writers for the show add one.

I also expect Alicent to be present for Rhaenyra’s death on the show too.

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

26 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the writers for the show add one.

I also expect Alicent to be present for Rhaenyra’s death on the show too.

I admit I am looking forward to the catharsis when she finds out Aegon is no more.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but Viserys dropping the stone dragon which breaks feels like GRRM style foreshadowing. The dragon breaks in two, i.e. the split that comes, thanks to Viserys's own carelessness and inattention. Not sure if Alicent repairing it has any hidden symbolism.

I quite liked the maggot scene with Otto subtly suggesting how dreadful the life of the king is, that he has to find a wife out of duty, not due to other desires, all the while knowing what Alicent has been doing. And Mallos, his man, is there to present a reasonable counter-argument, by reminding Viserys about duty and mending old wounds.

19 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Many people are complaining about Mysaria. It must really suck for the actress to get criticized when everyone else is getting praise. Especially since she, apparently, has been really good in other stuff.

The problem is the accent and you cant understand her. 

While the actress is of Japanese decent(Born in Tokyo), she was raised in London and speaks English, she even completely removes the English accent in other shows/movies she is in.  So this is either bad acting or bad directing. 

There are three dialect coaches involved in the show. I'm guessing they constructed it at the direction of the producers and worked with Mizuno on it and that's the final result. End of the day, IMO, she did the job she was asked to do, so it's on the production if people feel it's a miss.