[Spoilers] Episode 102 Discussion

Ran

2 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Eh, I don't believe there's really a good answer because the idea of hereditary monarchy is already inherently ridiculous.

So any of the arguments are ones I find questionable.

I just loathe the Hightowers.

At least you acknowledge your biases. Most people can't sadly.

The Blackwoods and Brackens are basically the same family with two different names, so I don't think he's all that biased. 

I remain amazed by how wound up some people are about their favorite sports teams or their least favorite sports teams... err, I mean, their favorite and least favorite houses.

23 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

He would have been like Robert. His small council would have ruled for him while he partied his life away.

Spoiler

Well we know it didn't work out that way as Otto completely misread his grandson when he had his Handship stripped away.

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

The Blackwoods and Brackens are basically the same family with two different names, so I don't think he's all that biased. 

I remain amazed by how wound up some people are about their favorite sports teams or their least favorite sports teams... err, I mean, their favorite and least favorite houses.

When so many people don't see things the way you do maybe there's some actual merit to what they think.

Just now, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

When so many people don't see things the way you do maybe there's some actual merit to what they think.

Homers exist everywhere, certainly, but one doesn't have to be a homer as well.

4 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Sapkowski points out the creator can't have bias since they are the ones who determine if someone sucks or not.

(Which was in response to Yennefer vs. Triss)

Disagree. Case in point: GRRM has a favorite POV (Tyrion).

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Homers exist everywhere, certainly, but one doesn't have to be a homer as well.

I've never watched the Simpsons if that's what you're referring to.

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Disagree. Case in point: GRRM has a favorite POV (Tyrion).

I've never watched the Simpsons if that's what you're referring to.

I think Martin loves Tyrion in the way that Shakespeare loved Richard III. (No one can watch that play and not be rooting for Richard, even though Henry is the nominal hero).

One thing I tought about is how stupid this idea of any kings being rejected by the Iron Throne, and that the clear sign of that is being cut by it.

Why wasn't Jaehaerys I cut on the Throne. He was destroying his own daughters' future and life as much as he could, yet never gets cut once? Why wasn't Aegon IV ever cut by the Throne? Why wasn't Aegon III or Daeron I ever damaged by the Throne? Or Baelor the Blessed.

Meanwhile Viserys does get it. I begin to think that it's just a myth or a very poorly made and exercised magical aspect of ASOIAF.

9 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

One thing I tought about is how stupid this idea of any kings being rejected by the Iron Throne, and that the clear sign of that is being cut by it.

Why wasn't Jaehaerys I cut on the Throne. He was destroying his own daughters' future and life as much as he could, yet never gets cut once? Why wasn't Aegon IV ever cut by the Throne? Why wasn't Aegon III or Daeron I ever damaged by the Throne? Or Baelor the Blessed.

Meanwhile Viserys does get it. I begin to think that it's just a myth or a very poorly made and exercised magical aspect of ASOIAF.

I mean, who qualifies as a "good" king in the setting?

25 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But they clearly see themselves as two different families, who are still feuding despite all the intermarriages.

Yes, but they are not in fact two separate families. They’re deeply intertwined.. They’re surly, unruly cousins in an extended family feuding over nonsense that they can’t even remember. Both branches of the Bracken-Blackwoods clan are kind of lame, in that regard.

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean, who qualifies as a "good" king in the setting?

Someone like Macchiavelli’s Prince.

The parameters of this world are that the nobility are selfish and greedy, and would supplant you, if they could.  Everyone considers capital punishment and torture are legitimate.  People view women as inferior to men, and consider that people should rule because of their bloodlines or wealth.  Views on chattel slavery do differ;  more enlightened people consider it wrong, even if they buy into the rest of these values. Almost without exception, the existence of God or Gods is taken for granted.  Due process is non-existent.  Guilt or innocence depends on the king or lord deciding if he likes the cut of your jib.

So, a good ruler is a hard bastard, but not capricious.  Someone like Alfred the Great, Edward, Athelstan, Henry I or II, Edward III, Edward IV, Henry VII, or Elizabeth I.