[Poll] How would you rate episode 102?

Ran

[Poll] How would you rate episode 101?   

76 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

Just now, Ran said:

The reaction reminds me a bit of the reaction to "The Kingsroad", the 2nd episode of the first season. It's a pretty talky episode as well, though has more drama at the end.

out of curiosity , what is your own rating?

8/10

I am one of those weird beasts that really like slowburn episodes with a lot of dialogues. Unlike "Game of Thrones", this series lacks the shock value that we had in the first two episodes of season 1 of GoT (defenestration and wolf pup killing). But, you can see and feel everything simmering and you are just waiting to explode. It's that Martin's line about "seeds of war being planted in times of peace" that I find incredibly appropriate for this. The plot moves slowly, it is peaceful time, but the impending war looms over all of them. 

3/10. The episode wasn't bad at all but it was very boring. It was not a slow burn or a immersive drama, it was just plain boring without a single strong moment for me to hold onto or to praise. I prefer character drama over action but this episode just repeated everything about the characters we already got from the pilot. I'm going to watch it for a second time and hope it will be better then.

I'm sitting here stewing on why I felt like it was undesirable for them to do the marriage announcement that way.

Ultimately, I don't think it makes sense for the character as presented. It was a surprise to everyone, not just the viewing audience. That's problematic. Granted that a king could just do whatever he wants, and also that a king who wants to avoid conflict might choose to just not talk to people about things ... but he was talking to everyone and he was seeking advice, not just on the need to remarry but also on the match. It's not in character, I don't think, for him to suddenly go for a wildcard without seeking affirmations from others ... especially his daughter who's best friends he's going to marry and whose reaction he was much worried about. Not to mention that he not only didn't avoid conflict but couldn't have reasonably expected to avoid conflict simply by not discussing it. In fact he's very well aware of how it will go over because it was even discussed how Corlys is a better ally than enemy. Nothing about the action is consistent with the rest of the episode.

It's just a goofy way to force a surprise ... that, again, wasn't even really a surprise because they foreshadowed it so much.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

I gave it a 5.

I found it a big letdown, in comparison to the premiere. It wasn't an awful episode at all, but there were plenty of small things that bothered and there was very little to enjoy in compensation. The confrontation at Dragonstone, that should have been the climax of the episode, was lacking in many aspects. The revelation of Viserys chosing Alicent could have been handled much better.

I gave it a 7, one notch below last week.  I still like the visuals of the show, and I like the fact that it's taking the source material more seriously in GOT.  But it was slow.  I can see a lot of casual viewers being bored stiff by the episode.  

The three best characters so far are Viserys, Daemon, and Rhaenrya by far.  I thought how they've handled Mysaria is a big letdown.  They've made her way too timid, and kind of like a one note foreign girlfriend of Daemon's.  

The impression that you got in the book was that she was a pretty formidable presence in her own right.

I like it more than the premiere, but then again I didn’t like the premiere very much. 

Talking is good, but the dialogue focused on explaining character motivations which leaned into exposition at times. 

The wit, subtlety, subtext, and suspense just wasn’t there. And as a reader of F&B I was surprised how the people I was watching it with could already tell what direction the plot was taking. 

10 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I'm sitting here stewing on why I felt like it was undesirable for them to do the marriage announcement that way.

. It's not in character, I don't think, for him to suddenly go for a wildcard without seeking affirmations from others ... especially his daughter who's best friends he's going to marry and whose reaction he was much worried about. Not to mention that he not only didn't avoid conflict but couldn't have reasonably expected to avoid conflict simply by not discussing it. In fact he's very well aware of how it will go over because it was even discussed how Corlys is a better ally than enemy. Nothing about the action is consistent with the rest of the episode.

Viserys had to know how Rhaenrya would feel about her best friend marrying her father.  Also, the show nudges us in the direction of both of them trying to open better dialogue between them.  His actions seem to increase the hurt she will feel by doing the announcement in public.  All they had to do was add one line or two, at the dinner table scene, that would show V trying to tell her.  That would have made it more in character, as the guy does seem to love his daughter. Or despite his love for her, the show is hitting us over the head again, about the value of females. 

I gave the episode a 6. There was just too much narrative that we had to plod through.  When they show us, instead of tell us, we get the wonderful scene of V walking in the garden with a 12 year old girl who was a candidate to be his wife. The way they filmed it, we could only see him first walking, with foliage in the way, then we see the small child and it is incongruous.  And it helps that he rolls his eyes later about the idea of it. I also like how the show seems to be revealing a secret relationship or understanding between Daemon and Rh.  They seem to get along in some fashion and to respect each other.  Which of course, was shown at the dragon egg toss off.  

The rest was pretty talky. 

Borefest of an episode. Too slow, some actors or characters are not able to carry the show.

It got better when Daemon showed up. Right now I think only Daemon can carry the show. Otherwise this will go downhill fast.

Corlys and the black girl don't cut it. Total immersion breaking and not good enough acting.

Why did they make the White Worm have black hair? these random stupid changes are allways for the worse.
And what the hell was that accent? Please someone tell her to stop the accent.

We got an intro, but it was meh. Should have a new song!

Edited by Ser Yorick Ampersand