[Poll] How would you rate episode 102?

Ran

[Poll] How would you rate episode 101?   

76 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

I'd give it a 5.5.

If I compare this episode to The Kingsroad, the main difference is that while both episodes are dialogue heavy, The Kingsroad uses a good portion of its dialogue to enrich the characters. Sure, there's expository and political conversations, and early Game of Thrones could struggle with delivering some of that information. But you also have a range of scenes that set up character relationships or traits: Tyrion and Jon, Jon and Arya, etc... There's a lot of warmth and wit in the episode, with different kinds of characters and different kinds of scenes.

Even a scene like Jamie mocking Jon Snow for joining the Night's Watch, even though it's mainly exposition, has some oomph and life in it, and it tells you a lot about Jamie. Very few scenes in this episode did that for me: just a lot of similar exposition about similar issues by characters behaving in similar ways. And while it was obvious to everyone I was watching with that Viserys would get engaged to Alicent, the show didn't do a great job of explaining why he would make this decision, or do it in the way he did. Compare that to the conflict at the end of the Kingsroad, where everyone's motivations are understandable and tell you a lot about their characters.

8 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

And while it was obvious to everyone I was watching with that Viserys would get engaged to Alicent, the show didn't do a great job of explaining why he would make this decision, or do it in the way he did.

I dunno, I don't think it's that strange. Everyone is telling Viserys he has to remarry and he's disgusted by the prospect of marrying a young girl.

Less so about one who is at least post-pubescent.

We also make it clear he's attracted to her at least slightly and conflict adverse.

But on my end, I gave this one a 8/10. A step down from last week but nothing bad.

https://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2022/08/house-of-dragon-1x02-rogue-prince-review.html

Edited by C.T. Phipps

I gave it a 7 because I thought it was quite good.  I find myself feeling more sympathy for the main characters and actually anticipating scenes featuring certain characters or situations, like mention of the Stepstones.  Twice in a row I have been rewarded with an eye feast of textures and color and rich scenery.    There was a lot of talking, but it was good talking, nothing at all like the drivel that devolved with another show I once liked.  Intelligent dialogue well performed and directed is a pleasure to spend an hour with.  Politics are rearing their very ugly heads all over the place.   It appears I will have more than Otto and the rest of the greens to loathe by the end of this tale.  That little firecracker who portrayed Laena was delightful.   I hope her older actor is half the dragon geek she is.  Daemon drawing Dark Sister on the bridge was just wonderful.   There were some great moments in this episode.   Big points off were for the opening being such a disappointment on so many levels and things that are missing.   I am unsure what is missing, but something is.  It was still a good episode.  

7 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Viserys had to know how Rhaenrya would feel about her best friend marrying her father.  Also, the show nudges us in the direction of both of them trying to open better dialogue between them.  His actions seem to increase the hurt she will feel by doing the announcement in public.  All they had to do was add one line or two, at the dinner table scene, that would show V trying to tell her.  That would have made it more in character, as the guy does seem to love his daughter.

Right. But then you lose the "surprise" of the marriage announcement.

Gave it a 7, same as the premiere. Episode was designed to set up the drama to come. Nice bit of rebel in the Princess going to Dragonstone unannounced and getting things somewhat diffused. I like how Daemon reminded Corlys not to disrespect the King, even though he does it. Nice reminder that he is still his brother and most importantly you are not.

Strangely I didn't find this episode slow or boring at all.

7/10 which is about all you can expect for an early set-up episode.

So many complaining about 'dialogue heavy', 'boring' (etc) and seeming to be expecting some dragon battle/war in the first few episodes.

Some seem to have forgotten that in series one of GoT we didn't even see a live dragon until the final seconds of the last episode.  And traditionally the 'OMG plot twist' has never really happened before Episode 8 or 9 (not counting final few shorter seasons ofc).

Patience people.

Edited by The Knight of Flours

6/10 - production values are very high and the acting is quite good, but the plot is too limited, pace is too plodding and heavy on exposition and repetition, characters aren’t all that engaging and the tone feels too somber and brooding for a dynastic peak just before it collapses into in-fighting.  If they wanted this story then a documentary on the Anarchy followed by the Henry II succession fight would be much more interesting. There’s just one central plot arc and it feels predictable and rote.

The opening credit sequence with the torrent of blood was slightly revolting but good to have the theme tune back, even it’s overwhelming with a sub-woofer.

I’m worried that the succession struggle won’t hold the attention of the broader audience of non-readers.  It will need to find a lot more character engagement soon.

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m worried that the succession struggle won’t hold the attention of the broader audience of non-readers.  It will need to find a lot more character engagement soon.

Why do you care? Fuck them. Pandering to the lowest common denominator is why 99% of entertainment sucks. This show was already renewed for a second season. 

2 minutes ago, Relic said:

Why do you care? Fuck them. Pandering to the lowest common denominator is why 99% of entertainment sucks. This show was already renewed for a second season. 

A show like this can't be a mega-success with just hardcore fans. The general audience is what makes or breaks these projects. Always.

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

HBO already does plenty of pandering with brothel scenes once again.  I’d prefer if they tried pandering instead with a plot and characters that the big audience will actually stick around for or else this level of budget won’t be sustained.  The viewing figures have started very strongly but I’m worried those will fade if the whole season feels like a grey, grim plod.  The book is basically a lament but is the wider audience ready for that?

17 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

A show like this can't be a mega-success with just hardcore fans. The general audience is what makes or breaks these projects. Always.

Why do we need it to be a "mega-success" tho?

9/10

I thought the first Ep was a very bad sign that HBO had just doubled down of graphic violence and sex and the show would just be a continuation of the "Bad Pussy" era of Dumb and Dumber.

Ep2 was a VERY good sign that might not be the case.  Loved this Ep!  This was good, tight story-telling.  Giving the actors room to perform, while still giving us the spectacle.

Hightower is quickly becoming my favorite part of the show.  He's a lot meaner than the place kicker for Keanu Reeve's football team or Doc Conners.

6/10

I don't think it's any better or worse than the previous episode. It's not really grabbing me much. The drama feels stilted and while it aims for book resonance more than Benioff & Weiss ever did (which is appreciated), the episode just feels like it plods along. A lot of scenes feel lacking in dramatic weight, like it's just characters explaining things to one another. 

Edited by Ser Drewy

A better ep than ep 1. Enjoyed the development of Daemon who is currently the best character on the show, closely followed by Viserys. Otto is good too (starting to loathe him already, so great job by the actor) but we really need the younger actors to pick up the slack. Also enjoying the differentiation of the dragons, especially the serpentine form of Daemon's dragon.

Also enjoyed the Valyrian lore espoused by Viserys; since GRRM is a writer on this show we can assume it came straight from him.