Let’s talk about castles

The Bard of Banefort

I'm fascinated by Winterfell because of its history, because of all its secrets, because it has a heart tree and gargoyles and hot springs. The hot springs are just fantastic (I imagine they must have medicinal water) and the hot water is used for heating the castle, so it is actually warm inside even when the weather is cold outside. If the seasons can be put right somehow, a few months of winter every year would be beautiful to watch from the windows of a nice, warm room. 

In the second place, I must choose Greywater Watch, the floating  castle. 

It would be interesting to visit Starfall because of the location and the history. 

Just now, Julia H. said:

the hot water is used for heating the castle, so it is actually warm inside even when the weather is cold outside.

I forgot about Winterfell's hot springs! I am moving it up in my personal rankings because of this. It is now in 3rd place, behind Storm's End and Three Towers.

10 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Do you think it will be taken from the south at some point?

Possible but very unlikely so far, unless dragons are used. 

Moat Calin's defenses are still very strong in the south, and it's surely very difficult to maintain a siege with the swamps, the poisonned waters, the insects and bugs which bring sicknesses and could parasite the food supplies, the other animals in the Neck and the Crannogmen's guerilla.

On 8/31/2022 at 5:01 PM, Craving Peaches said:

Do you think it [Moat Cailin] will be taken from the south at some point?

It already was (from the north), by Roose, with help from Theon.  Of course, the Iron Islanders were in pretty bad shape at that time, so it wasn't much of a fight.

On 9/1/2022 at 3:50 AM, Julia H. said:

In the second place, I must choose Greywater Watch, the floating  castle. 

Forgot that one!

I bet its featured in the books to come, if they ever do come.

4 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Best in every way, Red Keep. 

If you're Varys

1. The Nightfort - magic talking/crying door, stairwell (literally stairs *in* a well), plenty of land along The Gift, and buckets of history and legend. Probable Rat Cook appearances. Great view from top of wall.  All the charm of Harrenhall without the ruinous upkeep.

2. Winterfell - Hot springs, glass gardens, plumbing and heating, secrets, lore, mystery, history, weirwood heart tree, and adjacent Winter Town for shopping and entertainment. 

3. Red Keep. For obvious reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Reekazoid said:

1. The Nightfort - magic talking/crying door, stairwell (literally stairs *in* a well), plenty of land along The Gift, and buckets of history and legend. Probable Rat Cook appearances. Great view from top of wall.  All the charm of Harrenhall without the ruinous upkeep.

Ok, editing my earlier post, NF, Harrenhal, Winterfell in creepiness.

I really like  Eyrie even thought its not useful in winter & unrealistic. Its a great status symbol for Arryn and the majestic views of sunrise which Catelyn & Alayne describe  with golden fields, rivers and landscape of entire Vale of Arryn seems breathtaking even from text no landscape had made greater impression than it from books.Then there's beautiful Alyssa's tears & snowfall.

I like rivers so confluence of two contrasting river and a very defensable island castle like Riverrun is great. And It's never been breached. 

Hightower is too tall for me even if its super cool.

I dislike Pyke. Its on scattered little island very cavernous with ropey bridge & stormy. Rather like poorer Deepwoodmotte or mormont keep over likes of Pyke,Harrenhall & Dragonstone.

Best:  Highgarden.  Pretty castle in a rich land.  What more can you ask?

Coolest:  Winterfell.  Glass gardens and hot springs.  Too bad Ramsay trashed the place.

Overrated:  Harrenhal.  Too big for its own good.

Worst:  Deepwood Motte.  Oversized hut and completely undefendable.

Most unique:  Greywater Watch.  It moves around.  Who else can say that?  

Best place if you have enemies:  The Dreadfort.  Go ahead and attack.  I dare you.  I double dare you!

Honorable mention:  Riverrun.  Nice location on the water and quite defensible.

Ser Roger Hogg’s holdfast is well built for a landed knight. Amory Lorch attempted to burn him out, and couldn’t set the building to fire. Thick walls and sturdy roof.

I also thought Baelish’s three-story tower on the fingers was cool. Overlooking the ocean, with sheep and a 3rd-floor master bedroom.

BestThe Rock - I hate to pick one that we haven’t “seen” in the main series but based on the descriptions and the illustration from WOIAF, It’s the most awe inspiring one.

Worst: I can’t really think of one I hate

Most UniqueThe Rock … again

UnderratedPyke

OverratedStorm’s End - I love the story and setting behind it, but it’s not as visually appealing 

Most Fascinating: I’m going to name a few 
Harrenhall, Winterfell, Dragonstone, and the Red Keep

Archived