Miguel Sapochnik Departs House of the Dragon, Alan Taylor In

Westeros

Well, this was big, surprising news. The Hollywood Reporter‘s James Hibberd has reported that after three, exhausting years working on bringing the first season of House of the Dragon to the screen Miguel Sapochnik is leaving the show and Ryan Condal will be the sole show runner. However, the very experienced director Alan Taylor—who played a key role in directing a number of early episodes of Game of Thrones—has come on board as an executive producer and director instead.

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/HotD_Miguel_Sapochnik.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

Does anybody think there might be more to this than exhaustion --  Boredom?  Constant Pressure? Sapochnik has been successful with Thrones and it appears HoD would be same.  I wonder what the work conditions are like - the filming locations are beautiful and don't seem to be hardships.  Whenever I read about somebody stepping away from their own success, I always wonder what is behind the --' i want to work on other projects', esp when you are already on a great project.

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

Does anybody think there might be more to this than exhaustion --  Boredom?  Constant Pressure?

Could be.  Could also be other opportunities, or at least the desire to explore other opportunities.

Taylor is obviously a capable replacement.  Can't wait for Thor and the dark elves to join the fray!

22 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Does anybody think there might be more to this than exhaustion --  Boredom?  Constant Pressure? Sapochnik has been successful with Thrones and it appears HoD would be same.  I wonder what the work conditions are like - the filming locations are beautiful and don't seem to be hardships.  Whenever I read about somebody stepping away from their own success, I always wonder what is behind the --' i want to work on other projects', esp when you are already on a great project.

well , it's understandable for someone in a creative job to have a desire to explore new projects. HotD and GoT likely don't have much of a challenge for him.

Meh.

Good luck for Sapochnik and good luck for Condal.

I lost most good will towards Sapochnik after "The Long Night" episode dropped and I never was too head-over-heels with him to begin with. What a complete and total mess that episode was. Some of the worst direction and cinematography I have ever seen in a modern production.

1 hour ago, BlackLightning said:

Meh.

Good luck for Sapochnik and good luck for Condal.

I lost most good will towards Sapochnik after "The Long Night" episode dropped and I never was too head-over-heels with him to begin with. What a complete and total mess that episode was. Some of the worst direction and cinematography I have ever seen in a modern production.

General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, VC, KCB, DSO would doubtless have proclaimed that the charge of the Dothraki against the Dead was a "victory for common sense."

Archived