Dragon Ages

Llammaface

I think Drogon would be faster growing, because if I remember correctly a dragon's growth is based on how much space they have and how much food they get. Drogon has roamed wild for a long period and was not chained up in the pyramid or the Dragonpit like the other Targaryen dragons. I think Daenerys even notes Drogon is larger than Rhaegal and Viserion. The wiki calls him 'The largest and most aggressive of Daenerys's three dragons' and says that 'Daenerys has problems reining him in.'

On 8/31/2022 at 8:48 PM, Llammaface said:

Hello i was wondering if anyone has a list of dragons ages when first saddled and rode.

i want to see how the ages match Drogons age when Danny first rode him. i was wondering if drogon was far faster growing then the other dragons

Drogon is growing faster compared to Rhaegal and Viserion.  Dany first rode Drogon in the Pit of Daznak.  

1 hour ago, Llammaface said:

But do you know when the other Targaryen dragons were first saddled 

Those numbers aren't specified in any dragon's case. There are quite a few cases where we can assume the numbers, but most of the time the dragons were large enough to be saddled and ridden by the time their rider was of proper age to do so as well. The only exception is Morning, who had just grown big enough to be ridden by Rhaena Targaryen, at the age of 5.

On 9/1/2022 at 3:48 AM, Llammaface said:

Hello i was wondering if anyone has a list of dragons ages when first saddled and rode.

i want to see how the ages match Drogons age when Danny first rode him. i was wondering if drogon was far faster growing then the other dragons

Drogon, for example, compared to Morning, is growing much faster. Morning was around 5 when Rhaena first rode her, and we have to assume that's the age the dragon grew big enough to be ridden.

I would say Drogon has the potential of growing bigger than most Targaryen dragons, with a few exceptions of course. If we were to look at how big every single dragon would be at the age of 200, I would say Drogon is definitely TOP5, but nonetheless not bigger than Balerion.

I don’t know how helpful this list would be for you. I say this because most dragons started out as eggs in the crib of their future riders. So you’re more like to get an average age of when people start riding.

Just a couple examples: 

Silverwing is 12 when Alysanne starts riding her…but so is Alysanne. 

On the other hand Dreamfyre is big enough at 3 for a rider… a 12 year old Rhaena Targaryen. 

Visery’s was 15 or 16 when he took Balerion and Aemond was 10 when he took Vhagar. 

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that many dragons were probably ready to ride before their owners were ready to ride them. 

When Rhaenera and her crew are counting their dragon’s in preparation for the “Dance of the Dragons,” they make note of one of the Dragons having recently laid a clutch of eggs. That would hardly be worth mentioning if those dragons couldn’t potentially be in the fight within a year or two.

I think Drogon being rideable in the pit is consistent with what we have seen of dragons. He’s what, 2 years old? Already predisposed to being a big boy, plus his growth encouraged by ranging as far as he likes and eating his fill. Makes sense to me. 

I would say that Drogon is definitely growing faster than the average dragon, yes. This is most likely because of the story and the fact that George R. R. Martin originally intended a five-year gap in the story for the children/adolescent characters and other things to grow... So most likely I would think that the size Drogon seems to be at the end of ADWD, at age 2 1/2 or something, is maybe like a 5- or 7-year-old dragon or even possibly a 10-year-old dragon would have been during the early/main Targaryen history, such as during the Dance of the Dragons. Most dragon riders seem to be about 10-15 years old when they start riding their dragons from what I have seen, which often means that the dragon is almost as old... But yeah, I think that Daenerys's dragons are growing faster due to the high amount of magic which is surrounding them, and since they are the only known dragons in the world (at least west of Asshai and so forth), they maybe "get" a larger portion of the fire magic, since R'hllor or whatever fiery power there is is influencing them to grow quite fast.

Archived