MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I dunno. I still have a lot of love for the GotG films. And some of the Phase 1 stuff. One of these days I'll dig up my Iron Man DVD and give it another rewatch. 

Same, I love both GotG film as well. The third film and the Christmas special are two the only things I'm honestly excited for, when it comes to the MCU.

In fact just about all of the GotG seemed to act completely out of character in Love and Thunder. I get the feeling Watiti really wanted them out of the film as soon as possible.

9 minutes ago, sifth said:

In fact just about all of the GotG seemed to act completely out of character in Love and Thunder. I get the feeling Watiti really wanted them out of the film as soon as possible.

My head canon for this is that's how Korg viewed their behavior. He's the one telling that part of the story and he's definitely Team Thor.

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I dunno. I still have a lot of love for the GotG films. And some of the Phase 1 stuff. One of these days I'll dig up my Iron Man DVD and give it another rewatch. 

There’s a lot to like about them and Gunn has kind of set the tone for a lot of the MCU, but outside of some good moments I don’t think they are really good movies, I found 2 to have some pretty bad issues. Very few MCU movies are very good, most falling into the good but forgettable category.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

There’s a lot to like about them and Gunn has kind of set the tone for a lot of the MCU, but outside of some good moments I don’t think they are really good movies, I found 2 to have some pretty bad issues. Very few MCU movies are very good, most falling into the good but forgettable category.

See I love 2 nearly as much as I liked the first one. I watched the film with my cousin over the summer and she was in tears by the ending; she's not a huge MCU fan, but likes watching them on tv, when she catches them.

16 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I haven't seen the latest episode of She-Hulk yet but I did give Thor: Love and Thunder a rewatch. 

I'm beginning to think I was too generous by half in my initial review. Christ it was dreadful. Boring. Bad pacing. Tonally all over the place. None of jokes land. There aren't even any good action or comedy bits to surf. This is damn near WW84 levels of bad. 

Am I really the only one who laughed out loud at "half our soldiers are always dead!" Granted I was pretty stoned but that's the kinda meta-joke I like. 

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think She-Hulk is far too fluffy to withstand any kind of real in-depth analysis. It's lightweight and frothy and that's fine, but I suspect it will end up being a bit forgettable.

So like most of her comic runs?

But really, I like the show!  The fourth episode was the best yet.  It felt the most like a sitcom.

49 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think She-Hulk is far too fluffy to withstand any kind of real in-depth analysis. It's lightweight and frothy and that's fine, but I suspect it will end up being a bit forgettable.

I agree, but I'm surprised I haven't seen any discussion of the show seemingly confirming that Wolverine exists. That should pretty much eliminate all the "Mutants will be inserted into this reality later" theories. Along with the idea that the snap caused mutations. 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I agree, but I'm surprised I haven't seen any discussion of the show seemingly confirming that Wolverine exists. That should pretty much eliminate all the "Mutants will be inserted into this reality later" theories. Along with the idea that the snap caused mutations. 

People seem divided on whether that was a real thing, a misdirection or an Easter Egg without actual validity in the MCU itself (a gag for viewers, but not actually meaning Wolverine is about to show up).

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I go back and forth on the 2nd one but I think GotG is solid. It's definitely one of the more inventive entries.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Am I really the only one who laughed out loud at "half our soldiers are always dead!" Granted I was pretty stoned but that's the kinda meta-joke I like. 

It's the weed, which I'm totally fine with. If blazing up and watching this movie makes you happy, it's all good. On principal, my only objection to that approach is that it's like adding a surcharge to each movie ticket. We already got this inflation on, don't ya know. 

17 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I mean if Wolverine is not about to show up (not on this show, but soon), what the hell are they doing? I'd be very shocked if we don't see him in the next few years. 

To be fair, it wouldn't be the first time the MCU retconned something, that was meant to be the set up for something bigger. Furry losing his eye to a cat, the Infinity Gauntlet showing up in Odin's treasure room, Hydra viewing Steven Strange as a threat before he became a wizard, and so on.

54 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I mean if Wolverine is not about to show up (not on this show, but soon), what the hell are they doing? I'd be very shocked if we don't see him in the next few years. 

It does depend on how they're bringing in the X-Men, whether it's gradually, as Ms. Marvel hinted, with the mutation gene having only just spontaneously started to appear (possibly due to the Blip/Snap?), or Secret Wars closes up the Multiverse but other-universe versions of characters appear on MCU-Earth spontaneously (probably not, as the Fox version of X-Men is so convoluted and confused on its own terms that a fresh start is probably for the best).

I would think they'd make a bigger deal out of it, they announced the Fantastic Four joining the MCU four years before it will eventually happen and I'd assume they'd do something similar for the X-Men. It's why I've assumed that a Phase 7 thing.

Wolverine is old yeah, but it's not like he was famous most of his life or in the thick of things for nearly all of it. He's a black ops type that when he wasn't doing that would drift for years, in others move to a cabin to the middle of nowhere, or even completely forget who he was for a time.

As for the other X-men, they would simply discover their powers in the movies or start with discovering them shortly before- same answer as to why didn't Spider-Man fight Loki or Ultron. 

And for Xavier, why no one heard about the guy who can erase people's minds is a question that answers itself.

This is a universe that originally acted like everything began with Tony Stark announcing himself as Ironman.

Then the very next movie we were hinting at Super Soldier syrums.

We even learn that there was a team of at least three bug themed superhero’s that could change their size up and down running around in the Cold War doing missions.

We think they can’t retcon in some mutant superheroes?

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

....and then about a decade after that, following the death(ish) of Main Super Soldier dude, we find out there also always was a black Super Soldier dude.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

This is a universe that originally acted like everything began with Tony Stark announcing himself as Ironman.

We even learn that there was a team of at least three bug themed superhero’s that could change their size up and down running around in the Cold War doing missions.

We think they can’t retcon in some mutant superheroes?

I mean they were still playing that "Iron Man" card all the way into Civil War. In fact Vision has one of my favorite lines in that film. I don't remember it exactly, but it went something like, "Ever since Mr. Stark became Iron Man, the number of villains trying to destroy the world has certainly increased".

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I mean they were still playing that "Iron Man" card all the way into Civil War. In fact Vision has one of my favorite lines in that film. I don't remember it exactly, but it went something like, "Ever since Mr. Stark became Iron Man, the number of villains trying to destroy the world has certainly increased".

Hah, I hate that line. Because the idea that all these alien invasions and whatnot are happening because "strength invites challenge" is ridiculous, but also cause he starts with "I have an equation" and then....doesn't give an equation. He just spews some bullshit about how all the bad stuff is somehow their fault.

I like that movie but the whole central conflict is so stupid. 

Archived