MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Just watched the latest Dr Strange and latest Thor.
Still waiting for a good film from this phase of Marvel - all 6 must rank on the bottom 10 Marvel films.

I think I'm out now.

Being no fan of film review aggregators, it's interesting to look at Thor: L&T's RT score and see the substantial delta between "all critics" and "top critics"; 65% vs 51%. However, the average critics score barely changes; 6.5/10 vs 6.3/10. 

I don't know what to make of this. 

You know, for me, a lot of how I feel about the MCU films I base on how I feel about their re-watchability.  I mean, even when those films have some dragging parts, or characters I don't like, I can still enjoy the film over and over again, or just have it on in the background easily when it's on TNT, SyFy, or TBS for the umpteenth time...

My top three MCU films, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Ragnarok...those I can watch any time.

Either GotG films?  The first two Thors?  Iron Man 3...yeah, all of those I don't need in my life.

Now, I just watch Love & Thunder...and I didn't hate it.  Pretty sure I wouldn't turn it off if it were on TNT.  But I think I'm going to view it like I view the second Iron Man.  It's watchable.  It isn't great.

There was so much there...but it's like so many other sequels that refuse to let the story breathe the way they did in the previous film that made them so successful. Love and Thunder didn't feel as organic as Ragnarok did and it moved about too much.  

There were fun things.  The idea that New Asgard has transformed into a tourist trap was great.  The goats were fun.  Overall it had potential.  But it isn't going to crack the top ten for me.  

8 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Just watched the latest Dr Strange and latest Thor.
Still waiting for a good film from this phase of Marvel - all 6 must rank on the bottom 10 Marvel films.

I think I'm out now.

Including SpiderMan?

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Including SpiderMan?

It's the only one that might now; but I'd need to sit down and rank them out in my head again, it's certainly still bottom 1/2. So much that was "good" about Spiderman were the callouts and appeal to nostalgia, and that's never really done it for me.

On 9/12/2022 at 1:40 AM, Which Tyler said:

It's the only one that might now; but I'd need to sit down and rank them out in my head again, it's certainly still bottom 1/2. So much that was "good" about Spiderman were the callouts and appeal to nostalgia, and that's never really done it for me.

Same here. It's a trend that's becoming more common I'm afraid. But you know what? Some of those Phase 1-3 films weren't that great either.

Judging by the RT consensus, I was probably one of the few people in the world who didn't like Spider-Man: FFH. I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. Maybe it was sheer franchise momentum or residual good will from Avengers: Endgame, but IMO that was possibly the worst Spider-Man film I've seen; maybe worse than Spider-Man 3. Massively overrated.

The high school field trip stuff was boring as shit. The sidekick romantic sub-plot was groan inducing. A teacher with a stock catch phrase? Please. Mostly visually uninteresting. A maguffin that made no damn sense and a villain who's scheme was equally baffling. The only redeeming quality for me was Jake Gyllenhaal's performance. Whatever they paid him they should have doubled it.  

That said, I have seen a few FFH haters who really enjoyed NWH. I'll probably watch it this weekend so, fingers crossed. 

Not much of interest happened in this weeks episode of She-Hulk. It was a completely forgettable and non remarkable episode, kinda the point of the series as a whole I guess. It fills a space on Disney+ so that's its job.

It was certainly an episode directed at a certain type of audience, being able what clothes She-Hulk will wear in part and her dating life. That's fair enough. Probably why I was mostly not that interested.

Jen watch: She still has no real defined character, she was kind of the butt of the jokes this week at least, and she didn't moan about her life as much as she usually does though it was still there. The show seems to want to expand out to its side characters a bit more, which may not be a good idea because they are all grating.

I would have liked to have seen more of Titania, say what you like about Jameela Jamil but she is good at playing appalling human beings, possibly because that is really not a stretch for her, may not even be considered acting. 

Men are trash rating: 6. Men were not explicitly trash this episode, though there was some throw back to last episode where the same trash men were brought back to remind you that men are trash. There was one bit of conversation towards the end which was clearly just the writers of the show trying to vent about their own dating issues (actually a lot of the show seems to be one long rant by highly privileged women about their own problems) which was a less than subtle dig at men for daring to want to date them.  This episode the only non-trash man in the show is Pug, and I'm waiting to see why that is, he must be the victim of some form of oppression which will be revealed. 

The Daredevil reveal was pretty crap though.. if DD has changed his outfitter from Melvin Potter to this guy then that suggests a radical new direction to any new DD show.

Oh and the CGI was really bad this episode, maybe the worst so far. I still don't get the choices they have made with the CGI, no attempt to even cover their weaknesses. Putting CGI She-Hulk against a bright window just highlights the green-screening even more and makes her seem even weirder looking. I'm sure with some cleverer use of lighting they could have hidden the awfulness of the effect somewhat, but they haven't even tried.

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I liked that they actually gave some semi genuine legal reasoning for the trademark case.  Since Disney actually owns Edna Mode… couldn’t they have wedged her in somehow?

I liked the episode.

And yes, while watching, I did think about the fact that they had sorta given us a live action Edna Mode.  

I’ve been kinda on the fence so far, it’s been uneven but I wanted to give the show a chance to settle. But this episode was just boring for me. The humour didn’t really land, and I’m just not that interested in whether she gets to be called She-Hulk. 

So is Daredevil in LA for other reasons, or is this outfitter so good that he’s worth making the trip for?

Solid episode. It's progressing the plotline of Jen accepting her She-Hulk identity and foreshadowing her joining the Avengers for real, which will almost certainly happen. No guest stars (unless you count Titania, but she's new in this series so I don't) but a tease for DD, presumably next week. Like that Nikki got a little more to do. And it was funny.

Myself and a couple of friends have a guy who works for a custom clothing company that comes to our offices.  Mainly I have gotten tailored suits, but I also have a couple other things like some jeans from him.  (Japanese denim... kinda stretchy... they are AMAZING!)

So yesterday, I had to rewind the part where co-worker says he has a "drip broker" and then sent it to a group text with our guy and told him thats what I would call him from now on.  :lol:  

Archived