MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

Just now, RumHam said:

Were they noticeably distinct? I never really thought about it before but I guess I just assumed poop was poop. Except when it came to birds and their weird all purpose hole.

They were!  Some were small pellets. One was a big pile.  Others were curly ques!  So fascinating.  :lol: 

4 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Featuring:

Thar, a hammer-wielding pirate.

Irun Man, all about that cardio.

The Incredible Hull, a mild-mannered scientist who turns into a boat when he gets angry.

Hawkeye, but it's the one played by Alan Alda.

Blick Widow, absolutely deadly with art supplies.

Dr. Stronge, a master of the mystical arts and intergalactically famous powerlifter.

And Wong, because Wong is a multiversal constant.

Thar wields a shovel.

Yep that was an ok episode of She-Hulk, the A story was better than the B one for once. It’s all a bit by the numbers though, I’ve seen enough wedding movies like Bridesmaids to know the beats of that scenario and it didn’t really deviate from it at all. But for what it is, yeah fine. It’s the mildly diverting show now that I think it aimed to be, nothing more nothing less.

Jen watch: Really unlikable this episode. The show still revolves around her just not getting the recognition she doesn’t actually deserve and her persuit of self pity. Her constant need to tell everyone about her achievements is grating, and isn’t balanced by any positive likeable qualities. She just exists.

Men are trash rating: 8. A big week for men are trash as Immortal Man gets to step in to represent all trash men: afraid of commitment, liars, self interested, callous cheaters. This seems to be another excuse for the writers to unload their prejudices and past damage on screen. So essentially this entire plot was just two minority women berating this terrible white male for his behaviour. Very cathartic I’m sure. There was a non trash man who loves Jen for no apparent reason ( very Twilight) but time will tell whether he ends up revealing his trash side like all other men.

Fan baiting: This new section devoted to just how much the show is attacking man babies on the internet as a way of covering up for its own deficiencies. It seems like Internet forums are the actual bad guy of the show now, so that’s a new twist. I’m sure that will really stick the knife in. 

I feel like this has gotten progressively worse as it’s gone on. I mean Mr Immortal … I have no clue what that was, none of these characters were intriguing or funny. Was there a point here? They just kinda showed up, asked for some money and got it. Great. Once again the show seems to just throw some actors on screen and assume there’ll be hilarious results, without actually writing them. Normally I’d think ‘we’ll at least there’s a cool fight at the end’ but the CG just looks dreadful, so I’m never glad She-Hulk is on screen. 

I’m kinda dreading Daredevil showing up now, he deserves a better intro than this show.

10 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I feel like this has gotten progressively worse as it’s gone on. I mean Mr Immortal … I have no clue what that was, none of these characters were intriguing or funny. Was there a point here? They just kinda showed up, asked for some money and got it. Great. Once again the show seems to just throw some actors on screen and assume there’ll be hilarious results, without actually writing them. Normally I’d think ‘we’ll at least there’s a cool fight at the end’ but the CG just looks dreadful, so I’m never glad She-Hulk is on screen. 

I’m kinda dreading Daredevil showing up now, he deserves a better intro than this show.

I don’t think it’s getting worse, I think this is the level now, it’s sort of ok. Like the sort of sitcom you’d have on in the background while you do something else. Like you aren’t expected to laugh or enjoy it, it just stops you from concentrating on your mess of a life for 25 mins. I guess that is fine. 

I thought the first 2 episodes were shit so that’s why I think this is a bit better.

Anyway it just feels like the writers are drilling the well of personal experience and built up anger at the world and putting that on screen, using the medium of super heroes to vent their fury. So you get Immortal Man who is simply a cypher for every man that’s dumped them, or at least stories they heard about on Twitter. That feels like the only reason to have that plot in there, just so they could get 2 females to berate him and look like better human beings. That is a theme of almost every episode.

Also, Jen is really not even a character, she is a vessel to fill with all of their insecurities and frustrations and fantasies. So she’s an amazing lawyer (apparently, that’s what other people say about her but it’s rarely clear from her actions) she’s smart and funny apparently, except nothing she says is smart and funny. So while the writers seem to think they have created a fun lovable main character, they’ve just projected their own horridness onto Jen. Instead of lovable you get whiney and self absorbed, which is pretty much the tone of the entire show. 

I will say I do think the CGI was a little better at times this week. Probably the lighting.

And yes, Daredevil being in this, or his show being ANYTHING like this show is a grim prospect 

I don't want to gripe, but the concept of Mr. Immortal kinda bugs me within the MCU.

So what is he?  We know that mutants are now here... but its a relatively recent thing.  Presumably he's not an Eternal, but maybe they could play into that mythology that he's been around for a long time.

I kinda liked his concept as an immortal who uses his "gift" to just avoid conflict.  If they had ever made a sequel to the Highlander movie (cause you know... why would you have ever made a sequel to a movie with a clear and defined ending???) I could see a guy like this in there.  But its just kind of a mess in the MCU.

Overall though, the show is still chugging along in its lane and I enjoy it well enough.  :dunno: 

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I don't want to gripe, but the concept of Mr. Immortal kinda bugs me within the MCU.

So what is he?

Yea I found this weird too. So far, as big as the MCU has gotten, they haven’t quite gone full-comics where the world is just riddled with superheroes and supervillains to the extent where you don’t really need to explain any one person. But everyone in the MCU has been given some kind of origin. 

I would say it marks a turning point if I thought they’d thought it through, but it just seems to be part of the complete nothingness that was that plot. 

Mr Immortal is an actual Marvel comics character. He was part of a joke group called the Great Lakes Avengers (who at different times changed their name to the Great Lakes X-Men, Great Lakes Champions, Great Lakes Initiative and Lightning Bolts - the last after the Thunderbolts). Their members included Squirrel Girl.

His inclusion here is similarly a joke, and actually I thought it was a pretty funny use of the character. Don't overthink it. (Also, they haven't given Titania an origin and you're worried about whre Mr I comes from?)

That was a pretty strong episode, I thought. Mallory and Nikki were fun, Ginger Gonzaga is showing she can do a double act with anybody. Looking forward to the next!

5 minutes ago, mormont said:

(Also, they haven't given Titania an origin and you're worried about whre Mr I comes from?)

Titania feels like she could have recently come into her powers somehow.  (Still think the Snap woke up some sort of recessive mutant gene or some such.)  However, he has obviously been around being immortal for a while.  :dunno: 

I know we just went over the revisionist history of Tony Stark being the first real open super hero to finding out we've had outer space immortals living amongst us, literal avatars of the gods, and generations worth of super soldier experiments... but I still like it contained a bit I guess.

Also, I'm guessing the final scene is a further hint that the Leader is coming back. Well, not back as such, we didn't actually ever get him in full gamma mutated form, but you get what I'm saying.

3 minutes ago, mormont said:

Also, I'm guessing the final scene is a further hint that the Leader is coming back. Well, not back as such, we didn't actually ever get him in full gamma mutated form, but you get what I'm saying.

Hint?

Wasn't he outright announced as the villain for Captain America 4?

I might be over thinking things, but how exactly does Mr. Immortal fake his death, when he seems to come back to life instantly after being killed? He's not like Deadpool, who has to wait a few days to regrow his body after taking too much damage to himself.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

I missed that! But the hints here are that he's the Wrecking Crew's boss too.

That makes a lot of sense given his origin in Incredible Hulk and the fact that this show has done more to bring that movie back into the official canon than anything in a long time.  I hadn't considered he would be in this, but now that you mention it it feels more right.

I really thought that while Jen was drunk and unable to Hulk out, the nice wedding guest would poke her with a needle and get her blood.  I'm guessing that has to be the method in the end. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't need to know how Tatania got her powers, but did they ever explain why she burst into a courtroom? I feel like they gave a really stupid explanation for why she's not in jail for that. 

She was - there was a segment on an in-show TV in one of the later episodes where the news was saying she'd just been released.

The line is that she was in traffic court next door and lost her temper: she later claims that this was due to a medical condition causing low blood sugar and was cleared of charges using this excuse.

Yes my nitpicking instinct, normally very repressed for this kind of show, really kicked in in this episode. There’s the Mr Immortal faking his death thing, which doesn’t make sense as mentioned. I’m also confused as to when exactly the MCU became the televised Marvel comics universe, with all kinds of magic and superpowers just everywhere. And I’m not sure why on earth Titania figured it would be a good idea to fight She-Hulk again, how was that ever going to work out? Finally it annoyed me that She-Hulk appeared at all in an episode called Just Jen.

The Mr Immortal thing, he changed his name so I presume he just played dead then disappeared after 'dying' with his ex-spouses. Body went missing, that sort of thing. Then he starts a new life. 

The MCU has been heading in the direction of 'there are just lots of superpowered people and we're not doing origins for them all' since Spider-Man turned up. 

Archived