MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think if you tried to explain what you mean by this you'd reveal your own innate subconscious racism pretty quickly.

Is it news to you that most media, politics, etc. in the West is marketing toward straight, white, and male demographics? Or are you still unaware that we're all living in that milieu? 

1 hour ago, Week said:

Is it news to you that most media, politics, etc. in the West is marketing toward straight, white, and male demographics? Or are you still unaware that we're all living in that milieu? 

I'll take that as a yes. 

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It’s not a yes actually. Do you fancy taking a go at my question now?

It is our tradition in English speaking countries that when we ask a question we use question marks. Would you like to try again?

4 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

It is our tradition in English speaking countries that when we ask a question we use question marks. Would you like to try again?

13 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe @Week can explain:

“Marketed to a white male audience =/= marketing explicitly including references to 'white' or 'male'. 

Well thats a long list of people backing away from explaining that statement. I'm guessing because they know they can't do it without saying something incredibly racist. 

Anyway, we can move on from the topic, I don't want to distract from tomorrows regular 'She-Hulk clusterfuck thursdays'

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Well thats a long list of people backing away from explaining that statement. I'm guessing because they know they can't do it without saying something incredibly racist. 

Anyway, we can move on from the topic, I don't want to distract from tomorrows regular 'She-Hulk clusterfuck thursdays'

Sorry, are you asking a question? I can explain the statement if you like. Would you like that?

1 minute ago, KalVsWade said:

Sorry, are you asking a question? I can explain the statement if you like. Would you like that?

I mean it's really simple isn't it. 

Can you explain how marketing to a white male audience is not the same thing as including white males. What are these things which are 'white' and 'male'?

On 10/4/2022 at 12:02 PM, KalVsWade said:

Shang-Chi didn't make that kind of money despite having very similar marketing targeting. 

Didn't Shang-Chi come out when Covid was still an issue? Same with Black Widow. I'd imagine both films would have done much better had Disney simply waited another year to release them, possibly the Eternals as well. I know Spider Man made over a billion dollars, but Spider Man is sort of like Batman, the character just prints money, because everyone loves him.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

Didn't Shang-Chi come out when Covid was still an issue? Same with Black Widow. I'd imagine both films would have done much better had Disney simply waited another year to release them, possibly the Eternals as well. I know Spider Man made over a billion dollars, but Spider Man is sort of like Batman Man, the character just prints money, because everyone loves him.

It did, but it also didn't get the critical acclaim or the overall review scores that Black Panther did. Which is kind of the point I was making - that Black Panther was successful largely because the American audience went to it in droves and people actually liked it, and not because it was marketed at a given minority. 

2 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

It did, but it also didn't get the critical acclaim or the overall review scores that Black Panther did. Which is kind of the point I was making - that Black Panther was successful largely because the American audience went to it in droves and people actually liked it, and not because it was marketed at a given minority. 

To be fair, the MCU brand has sort of become a means to print money these days. Even films with lukewarm reviews, like the recent Thor film, seem to make over 700 million.

3 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Hmmm again not quite true. Black audiences were a lot higher for Black Panther than for the average marvel movie. Usually it’s about 15% but for this it was more like 37%. That’s a big increase and the marketing was a key part of that.

It also saw a large increase in female viewers, almost certainly because of the way it was marketed.. as a cultural event, as a statement of racial activism rather than just a movie. 

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

To be fair, the MCU brand has sort of become a means to print money these days. Even films with lukewarm reviews, like the recent Thor film, seem to make over 700 million.

True, but that doesn't explain why it would make a billion. And 300 million ain't anything to sneeze at. 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Hmmm again not quite true. Black audiences were a lot higher for Black Panther than for the average marvel movie. Usually it’s about 15% but for this it was more like 37%. That’s a big increase and the marketing was a key part of that.

It also saw a large increase in female viewers, almost certainly because of the way it was marketed.. as a cultural event, as a statement of racial activism rather than just a movie. 

Of course black audiences were a lot higher. However, they were not the only thing for the movie which is the point. Appealing to a minority will likely mean you'll get more of that audience, but unless you're willing to accept a significantly lower margin you can't ONLY appeal to a minority. Black Panther got more black people to watch it, but the non-black audience still came to see it and still liked it. That's absolutely crucial if you want to have a big domestic success. 

As to the female viewers I have a far more shallow argument: the male actors were hot as fuck. As evidenced by this hilarious thread

5 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

As to the female viewers I have a far more shallow argument: the male actors were hot as fuck. As evidenced by this hilarious thread

I mean you're not wrong on that. Winstone Duke is hot as f#$K. He'll be the main reason I see the sequel, but probably on Disney Plus. The moment I heard the movie would be 2 hours and 40 minutes long, was the moment I knew I wouldn't be seeing it in the theater. I made a vow after seeing Wolf of Wall Street, to never see an insanely long film again, unless it was at home.

31 minutes ago, sifth said:

This is kind of the point. Marvel movies have a built in audience and any old shit will still make good money.

What Black Panther managed to do was attract audiences who wouldn’t normally go see these movies, and they did that through clever marketing, mainly leveraging racial tension and political activism to give a movie about super heroes punching each other some sort of cultural value 

49 minutes ago, sifth said:

The moment I heard the movie would be 2 hours and 40 minutes long, was the moment I knew I wouldn't be seeing it in the theater.

Wait... what???  WF is almost three hours long???????  

I struggled to make it through The Batman earlier this year and still had to take a strategic bathroom break.  Whoever is planning these marathon movies is not taking into account the aging geek demographic!!!

Archived