MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

Really great episode apart from the last scene which definitely brought it down a bit. Kinda a shame if the next one is the finale just when they seem to have really hit their stride and now we have to rush back into this cringe incel plot.

Yea enjoyed seeing Matt a lot this week, I think they’ve done well to bridge the tone of the Netflix series into the MCU, nothing felt inconsistent here. 

But he does highlight how much of a problem they have with She-Hulk (the character), in that I’m not really excited to see her show up. Obviously you’ve got the bad CGI, but they haven’t really demonstrated that they know what to do with her when she shows up to fight. I mean she completely destroyed a car park, and then threw a frickin car at Matt? Which would totally have killed him, and she didn’t really know at that point he could dodge it. And smashing though to a lower level and dumping concrete on those goons/henchman … also possibly fatal.

I guess they’ve never really shown Hulk go up against a regular bunch of goons, he’s always been a necessary element of mass destruction alongside the other Avengers. He fought an army and an Abomination in his only solo movie. 

It's funny when the wrecking crew attacked she hulk I thought maybe the power broker sent them. Then I think we all started thinking The Leader was behind everything. Now it's starting to feel like the big bad is just..  some douches.

Spoiler

Who have to be led by that dude who bought the wakandan spear, right?

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's funny when the wrecking crew attacked she hulk I thought maybe the power broker sent them. Then I think we all started thinking The Leader was behind everything. Now it's starting to feel like the big bad is just..  some douches.

Reveal hidden contents

Who have to be led by that dude who bought the wakandan spear, right?

But we also saw that they have a lab where they're studying her blood. So The Leader is still the likeliest villain.

Netflix Daredevil Showrunner Weighs in on MCU Take
The return of Charlie Cox as Daredevil on She-Hulk: Attorney at Law drew attention from many people, including Steven D

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/netflix-daredevil-showrunner-weighs-in-on-mcu-take/

Many viewers took to the internet to express their happiness with the end result, including Steven DeKnight, showrunner for the Netflix series’ acclaimed first season. “I could not ship Matt Murdoch (sic) and Jennifer Walters any harder if I tried,” DeKnight raved on Twitter. “And holy shit, how charming is Charlie Cox?” Lest anyone think that DeKnight was describing the MCU Matt Murdock as a different character than the version he and his collaborators created for the Netflix series, he went on to say, “Huge props to the She-Hulk team for … taking what we did with Daredevil and running with it. Loved every minute!”

Enjoyed Werewolf by Night. I didn't quite expect the gory action. I can't help but feel we had a sort of introduction to Beast, at least in a certain universe. I hope we see these characters more, especially with the actors they chose.

So DD comes back and they get him laid straight away. And he can hit the back walls apparently. That's swell. What a great show! 

I have to admit, as silly as some of it is, I'm getting a lot more laughs out of this than any of the other recent MCU stuff. The jokes mostly land.

On 10/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, RumHam said:

Daredevil seems happier! I don't remember him being that quippy. 

Did I miss something why did some of the "tadpoles" have crossbows? 

DD being happier/quippier was to be expected I think. The multi colored costume looks like shit.

And yeah, why did those warehouse clowns have crossbows? 

Werewolf By Night was more fun than I expected it to be. Manages to be a nice homage to the old fashioned monster movies that inspired the comics, while at the same time introducing three cool characters I would never have thought to see in live action (Jack Russell, Ted/Man-Thing and Elsa Bloodstone) and telling a good story. Really enjoyable and I hope we see these three again.

I thought they had good chemistry together so it did actually work. I think some of the issues people are having with the show is the disconnect between it being a sitcom vs all the other Marvel properties. It's not just that it's purpose is comedy, it's disconnected from the real world to support that - the rules of physics don't play normally, she was never at risk of killing DD or the goons, or the wrecking crew member that she tossed like she's doing a Homelander impression.

Madisynn was also never in danger when she got dumped in another dimension and had to run errands for a demon either. 

I think they tried to sign post it a bit with the 4th wall breaks, and Bruce throwing that rock into orbit into the first episode but the general quippy nature of the MCU is playing against it on this front, it's not obvious that this isn't just that dialled up to 11. 

And it's fine if that isn't to your taste. But if you don't like this style then sometimes you're going to think jokes are bad when they're just not to your taste. And some of them will just be bad, take a lot of swings and some are going to miss.

16 minutes ago, karaddin said:

And it's fine if that isn't to your taste. But if you don't like this style then sometimes you're going to think jokes are bad when they're just not to your taste. And some of them will just be bad, take a lot of swings and some are going to miss.

Yeah it’s fine, I guess everyone has different tastes especially for comedy, but honestly, god help anyone who finds this show actually funny. The humour is so lacking in wit or spark I’m genuinely offended that I’m expected to laugh at it. 

Quite simply the show does not work as a comedy, because it’s not funny. It also doesn’t really work as a superhero show because the writers seem completely disinterested in superheroes or the MCU. It doesn’t work as a courtroom drama either as the writers are oblivious to how the law works ( maybe they watched an episode of Ally McBeal once.. who knows)

The only notable thing about this show, and the reason I watch, is because it is a unintentional insight into the pop feminist activism that the creators tried to inject into this Marvel product. It’s a mirror projecting the petty privileged concerns and prejudices of the women behind it, and the results are ugly. 

It’s a show where they project the modern view of what a ‘good’ woman is: a high flying lawyer in an elite career, who is also a Hulk so can beat men to death if they wolf whistle at her or can drag them into the bedroom. 

It’s a show where the victim mentality of the writers worldview is highlighted with every whiney ‘why me’ comment thet Jen makes. Jen who has so much going for her is only able to complain and blame others, never giving a thought to inner inspection about her own actions, and it’s a major flaw for the show. 

It’s a show that can only empower women by putting men down, so almost every male character is some parody of ‘toxic masculinity’, or a man baby or a simp. ( the only time any form of masculinity is seen as good or attractive is DD.. because they really cannot fuck with that character).

Its also incredibly vapid and unintentionally condescending towards women. One of the main plots of the show is about where Jen is going to get her clothes for gods sake. It has Jen going to weddings and galas and spending her time in bars.

This is the writers putting themselves in the show because they have fuck all else to write about. They have admitted they don’t like comics and they don’t know how to write courtrooms , so they just fell back on what they did know.

So even though the show improved as it spent more time telling more straightforward plots and less time trying to fit in its activism, I found it less interesting.

I guess it’s the last episode this week, hence my rant, and I doubt my opinion will change on this series, in fact I’m sure the show will double down on the ‘incel’ plot, which is the bit the writers are reallg interested in. Really this is a totally unremarkable and forgettable show other than the fact that it contains the most in your face example of 2022 ‘privileged pop feminism’, the sort of thing that is just hidden underneath the surface of a lot of movies and tv shows, but has it out on display for everyone to see. 

Jameela Jamil recently made a post saying it’s fine if the show gets cancelled, she had fun and got paid, and maybe it will get cancelled, who knows. It certainly needs to have the writers dragged into a room and taught how to write to an acceptable level. 

Archived