MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

9 hours ago, sifth said:

So after running a few miles on my treadmill, I think I can finally process what I saw. I feel like the writers of this show realized, their story made no sense, which resulted in the 4th wall breaking final

Again, that's not how writing on these shows works. They don't write or plot sequentially. The finale was at least conceived before earlier episodes reached the stage where they couldn't have been changed. You may not have liked the concept of the finale, but the earlier episodes were written with the finale in mind. The finale is not an attempt to 'fix' the earlier episodes: they're of a piece.

Which makes sense: the earlier plot setups would indeed have resulted in a fairly standard MCU climax, but they really weren't the main focus of the show, so they do work thematically with the idea that people keep trying to force Jen into certain roles. Bruce thinks she should be a superhero. Holliway insists on her being She-Hulk at work and makes her take on cases she doesn't want. And so on.

9 hours ago, sifth said:

So why was Jen in jail at the start of the episode? She only the destroyed a few things, before regaining control. Nothing major to be honest.

She hasn't been charged at that point: she's in custody because she's considered to be a risk because of her behaviour (and because of Bruce's past rampages). Hence the agreement that she won't be charged if she wears an inhibitor.

21 minutes ago, mormont said:

Which makes sense: the earlier plot setups would indeed have resulted in a fairly standard MCU climax, but they really weren't the main focus of the show,

The problem the show has is that it doesn’t do the basics properly and so it cannot justify going off piste and doing that irreverent shit when it can’t even tell a simple story. 

You say this wasn’t the focus of the show, and I’d have to disagree. It was the season long arc and it was what tied together all the episodes. For a story to work you still need to set it up, have conflict then resolution. This finale set stuff up and then just said ‘nah fuck it’ and did the fourth wall stuff to pretty much avoid doing the hard work of telling a coherent and involving plot. 

Again I’m not sure what show you are watching because this is not episodic ‘take or leave it’ show you are painting it to be. It’s using that as a way of excusing it’s flaws, but it’s trying to do a lot of things and failing at them all. 

The other issue with the fourth wall breaks is that they don’t have any connection to the tone of the show or Jen herself. The show is not irreverent or creative with it’s storytelling, and Jen is a by the book lawyer. If she was a zany rule breaker like Deadpool it would make sense, or if she was having a breakdown and it was a way of illustrating that . But she’s a very straight laced person. It makes no sense. It’s a gimmick.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

She hasn't been charged at that point: she's in custody because she's considered to be a risk because of her behaviour (and because of Bruce's past rampages). Hence the agreement that she won't be charged if she wears an inhibitor.

You're really reaching to make sense of a show, that doesn't even take itself seriously. I'm honestly shocked Jen didn't ask Kevin, about that as well. I mean at least when Blazing Saddles pulled this off, almost 40 years ago, it had the decency of keeping the plot intact. Bart didn't walk up to Mel Bruck's and demand him to change the ending, lol

Last night, during my movie night with my friends, they asked me to explain the ending of She Hulk to them and they honestly thought I was jesting.

23 minutes ago, mormont said:

I'm repeating something that was explicitly stated in dialogue.

So she has to wear an inhibitor, because she destroyed a table and a few tv's?

Did you ever play the N64 game Conker's Bad Fur Day? It's a video game I played in my youth, about a squirrel named Conker, who frequently would swear and break the 4th wall. It had really fun multiplayer, but its story was abysmal for its campaign. The game ends with Conker, stopping the final climax of the game and demanding the coders fix it proper. That's what She Hulk is to me, a modern version of Conker's Bad Fur Day.

So far, she's the third "Hulk" the public knows about. Abomination and Hulk have both been on massive anger fueled rampages. With that kind of precedent, it's not a reach to assume Jen might succumb to that too (after publicly losing it in front of witnesses). The inhibitor requirement makes sense under those circumstances.

As far as the finale, I liked it. I laughed throughout the whole scene through the Marvel offices and the whole ridiculousness of K.E.V.I.N. It all worked for me, as a one off. I wouldn't want this 4th wall stuff seeping into the MCU (Deadpool aside). The whole scene was funnier because of this forum and the discussions that go on here (and elsewhere in more toxic areas of the internet), and the whole mythos that exists around Marvel Studios at this point. The writers certainly have their finger on the pulse of fandom and have enjoyed poking fun. 

I'm not sure how I missed the news that William Hurt passed away in March.  (Thunderbolt Ross)  I just saw an article that Harrison Ford is in talks to replace him.  :dunno: 

5 hours ago, sifth said:

So she has to wear an inhibitor, because she destroyed a table and a few tv's?

She has to wear an inhibitor because the public is terrified of superpowered people abusing their power when they also look scary, and she destroyed probably $200k or more worth of AV equipment and assaulted actual people. 

12 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

She has to wear an inhibitor because the public is terrified of superpowered people abusing their power when they also look scary, and she destroyed probably $200k or more worth of AV equipment and assaulted actual people. 

They are? There’s people doing that all the time on this show, with no one getting scared. 

40 minutes ago, sifth said:

They are? There’s people doing that all the time on this show, with no one getting scared. 

Yeah, they are. Titania would have had to do this as well if she didn't have a good media and lawyer brand. Jen kind of caved fast because she's not used to this kind of spotlight or dealing with trolls like this. 

I think also that it's very specifically about Hulk-like people doing stuff. People remember what Hulk did and the damage he did previously when going on a rampage. Seeing another person rage out like that and not be able to control themselves like Smart Hulk does is going to scare folks. 

Note, also, that there's a lot of negative sentiment towards She-Hulk specifically that isn't there for, say, Titania or Man-Bull, and part of that is the stuff Todd has been doing. That's probably another reason she was specifically targeted. 

I do think that the introduction of inhibitors makes it really weird to, like, not have those on everyone all the time and have a registration of superpowers on a regular basis with some kind of inhibitor around. That's somewhat problematic given the origin of many of the powers are mechanical in nature (you can't inhibit an Iron Man or Ant-Man suit) but if they have the tech it's odd that they don't use it regularly. 

I am rewatching frame by frame lol. K.E.V.I.N has a movie projector in the back, so it is almost like the robot is projecting She-Hulk throughout the interaction. There is also a 5.25 inch floppy drive above his face, and a DVD drive lol. The biometrics in K.E.V.I.N's room is HAL! K.E.V.I.N also looks a lot like GLaDOS from Portal, but think everyone noticed that

There seems to be a 'Midnight' module in K.E.V.I.N, though it may be Moon Knight. There are a bunch of missed spaces in the NDA lol. It says in accordance with 'thelaws' of the State of New York, then 'themonetary' damage to Marvel.

Trying to see if I can spot anything in all the post-it notes in the writer's room.  

In the previous episode She Hulk picked up someone’s car and threw it at DD before she even knew who he was, then smashed through a ceiling potentially killing people and doing a ton of property damage. Those aren’t even isolated incidents!

She probably should have been locked up. We should all support that. 

54 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

but if they have the tech it's odd that they don't use it regularly. 

Feels like a natural plot point for a future XMen movie.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

In the previous episode She Hulk picked up someone’s car and threw it at DD before she even knew who he was, then smashed through a ceiling potentially killing people and doing a ton of property damage. Those aren’t even isolated incidents!

No one saw them, it wasn't heavily publicized. Shockingly much like cops people don't care about major damage if no one's looking. 

Plus, ya know, actual criminal with kidnapping involved there. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

She probably should have been locked up. We should all support that. 

IRON MAN WAS RIGHT

Also, the most unrealistic part of She-Hulk is that Tatiana would have difficulties finding guys who want to date her. Finding guys who aren't absolute scum, sure, but actually just finding guys? Not a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Also, the most unrealistic part of She-Hulk is that Tatiana would have difficulties finding guys who want to date her. Finding guys who aren't absolute scum, sure, but actually just finding guys? Not a chance. 

That’s the most realistic part of the entire show. 

Archived