MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

Bring a Big Gulp cup.

:leaving:

I'm just glad my kids are old enough to take themselves to the bathroom. I can sit through long movies fine, but my second son used to always need to go right during the climax. (ie the airfield fight in Wonder Woman)

40 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

This is kind of the point. Marvel movies have a built in audience and any old shit will still make good money.

What Black Panther managed to do was attract audiences who wouldn’t normally go see these movies,

It also attracted people watching it multiple times, which is something most marvel movies do not do regardless.

And to be clear, it made basically double what 'any old shit' does - 1.35 billion dollars. 

40 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

and they did that through clever marketing, mainly leveraging racial tension and political activism to give a movie about super heroes punching each other some sort of cultural value 

Citation needed. Clever marketing is cool and all, but point to the clever marketing that has racial tension and political activism. Here's the trailer: 

Can you point to the racial tension in this trailer? The political activism? The best I got is the fairly cool song about 'the revolution will not be televised', but it's also just a fucking cool song.

8 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

It also attracted people watching it multiple times, which is something most marvel movies do not do regardless

Citation needed, and who watched it multiple times and why?

as for your second point I made a short of list of some of things Marvel did to make sure there was a political angle to this movie when it came out a couple of pages ago. The entire conversation around the movie was politically charged. The music on that trailer is no accident btw.

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Bring a Big Gulp cup.

:leaving:

I'm just glad my kids are old enough to take themselves to the bathroom. I can sit through long movies fine, but my second son used to always need to go right during the climax. (ie the airfield fight in Wonder Woman)

Funny story; I remember when a friend of mine had to use the bathroom, about 40 minutes into the 2014 Godzilla movie.

Spoiler

When he got back he was beyond confused, and was asking me where Bryan Cranston was, lol

3 minutes ago, sifth said:

Funny story; I remember when a friend of mine had to use the bathroom, about 40 minutes into the 2014 Godzilla movie.

Hide contents

When he got back he was beyond confused, and was asking me where Bryan Cranston was, lol

They need like a dim color changing LED on the wall that goes from green/yellow/red depending on how good of a time it is to sneak out to pee.

Or bring back intermissions. But I say we patent the LED idea and make millions! All we need is a name. ...and to convince movie studios to have people go through their movies before they come out and chart the best times to pee.  

44 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Because I cite my sources, here's an article from Bloomberg about reports of people coming back to see it multiple times.

So let me get this straight your claim that "It also attracted people watching it multiple times, which is something most marvel movies do not do regardless" is based on this quote:

Many moviegoers say they’ve already gone back to the theaters to relive the story, fueling even more sales for Marvel’s film. Kelly in Atlanta knows people who have watched “Black Panther” three times.

Oh well thats fucking conclusive then isn't it, if Kelly in Atlanta knows people who've seen it 3 times. Fuck me, point proved!
Nice citing Sherlock. 

In fact the article does far more to prove my point that it was black audiences fuelling the films success than anything else. Again, thanks Sherlock.

You have to wonder what changed that modern blockbuster movies are incapable of short run times any more.

I suspect that something like Marvel needs that space to fit in all the other threads they need to seed their next Franchise movie that are trying to sell 

Its worse as almost none of these movies justify their long run times, often with really saggy middle thirds and a pointlessly dragged out conclusion 

The last Thor was fairly short, wasn't it? I mean people hated it and complained that they cut out a lot of actors. But yeah "90 minute Blade movie" didn't sound like the worst thing in the world to me. 

The team-up one's have to be long. Wakanda Forever also has a shitton of stuff to get through so I'm not surprised at it's length. They have to introduce a whole underwater civilization and it's leader, deal with T'Challa's death and Ramona somehow being queen (did she beat up M'baku? I wanna see that) while someone becomes the new Black Panther and a character we haven't even met yet becomes the new Iron Man. That's crazy, and not even getting into some of the other stuff that's been rumored. 

If you think about it, most movies run in theaters just once. From then on people are able to pause it. Of all the times people have watched The Avengers I'd expect a very small percentage were theatrical viewings. So isn't it better to have a more coherent movie, even if you have to miss a scene to go to the bathroom the first time you see it? 

Though extended editions for Disney+ also seems like a no brainier. 

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The last Thor was fairly short, wasn't it? I mean people hated it and complained that they cut out a lot of actors. But yeah "90 minute Blade movie" didn't sound like the worst thing in the world to me. 

The team-up one's have to be long. Wakanda Forever also has a shitton of stuff to get through so I'm not surprised at it's length. They have to introduce a whole underwater civilization and it's leader, deal with T'Challa's death and Ramona somehow being queen (did she beat up M'baku? I wanna see that) while someone becomes the new Black Panther and a character we haven't even met yet becomes the new Iron Man. That's crazy, and not even getting into some of the other stuff that's been rumored. 

If you think about it, most movies run in theaters just once. From then on people are able to pause it. Of all the times people have watched The Avengers I'd expect a very small percentage were theatrical viewings. So isn't it better to have a more coherent movie, even if you have to miss a scene to go to the bathroom the first time you see it? 

Though extended editions for Disney+ also seems like a no brainier. 

Robocop I consider one of the greatest films ever made, and compared to some of the stuff made today, it's fairly short; I think it's only around 90 minutes. I often feel like modern directors forget about the importance of pacing, because a lot movies that have been made in the last few years have so much fat, that I feel could be trimmed. For example I did a group movie night, this past Sunday, where me and my friends saw The Wailing, which is a really great horror movie, but we all agreed, that it should not have been 2 and a half hours long.

@KalVsWade, please stop, the fremdschämen is getting unbearable. But also, please don't.

Are we really arguing that the 14th (peaked at 9th) highest grossing movie of all time was so successful for really any reason other than a lot of people seeing it a lot of times? (Among Marvel movies it was only eclipsed by the Avengers movies and Spiderman: No Way Home).

Eta- Just laughing at the absurdity. The songs in the trailer are some of the most popular at the time (the soundtrack is amazing) and pretty much everything gets politically charged these days (I haven't seen a particular poster whining about the Little Mermaid -- did I miss it or do we still have that to look forward to?)

Latest She-Hulk was again, totally fine, really hitting that bang average place. I'd say it was mostly notable now that Matt Murdoch is in it properly, so that piqued my interest to see how he'd be handled.

Overall I think they have allayed my fears that they will totally balls up Daredevil and make him a watered down version of the Netflix show. They pretty much recreated some of the hallway scenes from that show and while these were clearly not as well shot or performed as that, it at least demonstrated that they are not going to shy away from violence. 
I do hope they don't  rely on CGI for his stunts in any DD show though, wow it looked bad at times. CGI was especially poor this episode but I'm loathe to criticise it because it's not the overworked Marvel animators fault they have to try to get this stuff out the door.

DD's costume looks really bad though, that can't seriously be the one they are going with is it? Even Jen noted it looked horrendous.

Outside of that, I thought the Leapfrog thing is just another example of a good idea lazily executed. Like last week, bad superheroes is something I love, but it's done to death. AFAIK Leapfrog is someone I've seen on numerous 'worst Marvel villains' lists in the past, so there was an opportunity to do something funny and interesting here. But yet again there is no real joke there, other than he's a bit shit and some lame frog references. It was very weak. Compare and contrast to Polkadot Man in Suicide Squad, another infamously terrible hero / villain, he was fucking great and hilarious in that movie, whereas Leapfrog is.. I don't know what the joke is there.

Jen watch: This week we learnt that Jen is a terrible lawyer. She didn't do any due diligence in asking her client any questions and got humiliated in court. Of course this fact will be forgotten and everyone will discuss her in glowing terms and tell her how great she is at lawyering.

Other than that she fawns over Matt and I'm really not keen on that relationship being a thing, it kind of cheapens Matt that he would fall for such a terrible person as Jen, and they never gave any explanation as to why he might like her (maybe he just wants an easy shag?!)
She still doesn't appear to have grown or learnt anything. At one point she looked like she might take some cues from Matt about how to approach a situation for which she has no experience, but the lesson the show wants to tell us is that NAH, Matt was wrong, She-Hulk's approach was the best one. She is so awesome. 

Men are trash rating: 5. Men were not that trash this week as Matt Murdoch seems to be an admirable person.. does him being blind mean he cannot be considered the enemy by the writers or is it because they cannot mess with his character? There were other regulars on the show who helped to bump up the trash rating but it wasn't a focus for the episode.

So overall, yeah it's fine. I don't think the show is bad per se, but it really is doing the bare minimum, the 'comedy' is the of the incredibly obvious variety, which might appeal to 12 year olds who have never seen anything else in their lives, but that is pretty much the level of this show. 

Oh and the 4th wall breaking stuff is so odd. It's used to sporadically and randomly that it is really jarring when they do it. The way she described the season finale was just odd. Nothing else in the show feels coherent with this, it's not like Deadpool who is a character that has no concept for the rules of anything. This is just a gimmick that is done almost without reason to try and generate a laugh during scenes they realised were dead.

I have absolutely zero issues with the fourth wall breaks.  Absolutely in the spirit of the comics.  Should/when She-Hulk appears in other shows it won't be a part of things. And that's fine.

Not entirely sure why Daredevil's costume needed to be a weird mash up of three of his various costumes from over the years...

Hands down that was the best episode of the season. And to complain about it would be to hate life...

6 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Easily the best episode of the season. DD really worked well, and the ending was also pretty good. Though seems that perhaps 9 episodes was a little too much for this series, it seems to be hitting it's stride near the end.

Absolutely this was the best episode of the season. That’s a pretty low bar to clear though. 

I like the hallway fight joke and the watermark on the video near the end. 

Daredevil seems happier! I don't remember him being that quippy. 

Did I miss something why did some of the "tadpoles" have crossbows? 

Archived