MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

All “controversies” involving television shows that where fans are bitching and whining are “fake controversies”.

All ‘controversies’ involving ‘something  someone said in a thread on Twitter / YouTube.. are ‘fake controversies’

12 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It’s totally in character for him, Foggy made frequent references to Matt getting more action than him in the Netflix series. 

Even if it wasn't in character, that doesn't really mean anything. I've seen people argue that he acted different so he's not the netflix guy. Meanwhile people see Blonsky acting like a totally different version of the character and think "finally The Incredible Hulk is acknowledged." 

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

All ‘controversies’ involving ‘something  someone said in a thread on Twitter / YouTube.. are ‘fake controversies’

Or maybe some people don't realize an obvious troll from Le Cinéfiles. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Even if it wasn't in character, that doesn't really mean anything. I've seen people argue that he acted different so he's not the netflix guy. Meanwhile people see Blonsky acting like a totally different version of the character and think "finally The Incredible Hulk is acknowledged." 

A decade in prison has given him perspective. That and mainstream superhero stuff has basically become a parody of itself now. We're in the deconstructionist phase of the genre. 

https://deadline.com/2022/10/blade-fantastic-four-avengers-secret-wars-release-dates-shift-1235141388/

Among the changes, the as-yet-untitled Deadpool threequel has moved from September 6, 2024 to November 8, 2024, with Fantastic Four bumped from that latter date to February 14, 2025. Previously set for November 7, 2025, Avengers: Secret Wars, the first of back-to-back movies in the Avengers series, will now debut on May 5, 2026.

An untitled Marvel pic set for February 14, 2025 has been pushed to November 7, 2025, with another having been removed from the schedule after being set for May 1, 2026...

...Blade, the vampire pic starring Mahershala Ali is currently in search of a new director, following Bassim Tariq’s departure. It is now set to open September 6, 2024, having previously been slated for November 3, 2023.

On 10/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, Heartofice said:

The only notable thing about this show, and the reason I watch, is because it is a unintentional insight into the pop feminist activism that the creators tried to inject into this Marvel product. It’s a mirror projecting the petty privileged concerns and prejudices of the women behind it, and the results are ugly. 

It’s a show where they project the modern view of what a ‘good’ woman is: a high flying lawyer in an elite career, who is also a Hulk so can beat men to death if they wolf whistle at her or can drag them into the bedroom. 

It’s a show where the victim mentality of the writers worldview is highlighted with every whiney ‘why me’ comment thet Jen makes. Jen who has so much going for her is only able to complain and blame others, never giving a thought to inner inspection about her own actions, and it’s a major flaw for the show. 

It’s a show that can only empower women by putting men down, so almost every male character is some parody of ‘toxic masculinity’, or a man baby or a simp. ( the only time any form of masculinity is seen as good or attractive is DD.. because they really cannot fuck with that character).

Its also incredibly vapid and unintentionally condescending towards women. One of the main plots of the show is about where Jen is going to get her clothes for gods sake. It has Jen going to weddings and galas and spending her time in bars.

This is the writers putting themselves in the show because they have fuck all else to write about. They have admitted they don’t like comics and they don’t know how to write courtrooms , so they just fell back on what they did know.

So even though the show improved as it spent more time telling more straightforward plots and less time trying to fit in its activism, I found it less interesting.

I guess it’s the last episode this week, hence my rant, and I doubt my opinion will change on this series, in fact I’m sure the show will double down on the ‘incel’ plot, which is the bit the writers are reallg interested in. Really this is a totally unremarkable and forgettable show other than the fact that it contains the most in your face example of 2022 ‘privileged pop feminism’, the sort of thing that is just hidden underneath the surface of a lot of movies and tv shows, but has it out on display for everyone to see. 

Jameela Jamil recently made a post saying it’s fine if the show gets cancelled, she had fun and got paid, and maybe it will get cancelled, who knows. It certainly needs to have the writers dragged into a room and taught how to write to an acceptable level. 

That is quite simply the most peculiar reason I've ever heard for a person doing something ever. I barely have time to watch stuff I want to watch, why would someone sit through something they know is shite when all they have to do is turn over? 

Do you give yourself papercuts between your fingers then wash your hands with salt and vinegar solution while you are at it? 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That is quite simply the most peculiar reason I've ever heard for a person doing something ever. I barely have time to watch stuff I want to watch, why would someone sit through something they know is shite when all they have to do is turn over? 

Do you give yourself papercuts between your fingers then wash your hands with salt and vinegar solution while you are at it? 

Sure but this isn't hate watching. The show itself is not interesting, but the motivations and underlying preconceptions and worldview of the writers is something I do find very interesting, so it's more like observing wildlife. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How else do you stoke the fire of misplaced, confused anger? Taking a pause from a show that isn't that well written and touching grass for a moment threatens to dull that edge. One has to put in their own work maintain a honed edge to fight "conspiracies" woke-ism, faux-diversity, and man-hating.

God forbid one educates themselves of millennia of rank misogyny to juxtapose with 'show with big green girl doesn't have enough sympathy towards men'.

It reminds me of the recent case where a MAGA dude was found guilty of wire fraud. He was collecting money (private and insurance claims >$350k) after he had vandalized his own house ("Antifa", "Biden 2020", "BLM" -- that well known demographic) and committed arson. Sometimes the only way to retain your sense of victimhood is to victimize yourself.

That was an amusing finale, with surprisingly honest self-criticism of traditional MCU problems and finales. Not sure if it got too meta there, but whatever.

"I will talk to you, but only as Jen, not as She-Hulk."

"Why?"

"Because She-Hulk is very expensive. And wait until the camera is pointing away. Right, now."

Ok Ok Ok.. the meta stuff in the finale was actually good. I hold my hands up. Marvel admitting that its movies and shows are all end in the same formulaic way, that they spend too much energy promoting other movies within their movies and also that they have budget issues with special effects was very interesting to see. 

The fourth wall breaks are still completely incongruent with the rest of the show, but this one at least worked on its own. 

I also liked the reference to the OG hulk show, made me kind of wish the whole thing was that. I'd watch that show.

As a season though, this show has been very uneven. It started very badly, and improved a little bit, and the last two episodes showed the direction it could go with a bit more work. I think if they made the entire thing a lot more irreverent and actually pushed boundaries like they did in this episode then they might be onto something. Instead that has felt like a gimmick holding a very mediocre formulaic product. 

Jen watch: So this has been an entire season and the show never really showed us who Jen is. I don't know what she likes, what she wants from life, what she is scared of, what her motivations are. All I know is she is a bad lawyer and she likes drinking and complaining.
That opening episode I asked the question as to whether the writers recognised that Jen was a narcissistic asshole, and whether the show would be about her growth. It's now clear that they didn't recognise that, and that we are meant to like her. 
The last scene as Jen accepting that she can be Jen and She-Hulk.. yet nothing in that last episode or the season brought her to that place. She just switched. She didn't grow, she didn't learn anything, she isn't a better or worse person. 

So that is interesting.

Men are trash rating: 10 So this is fan baiting in the extreme. There was some chat that the big bad was The Leader or someone else, but actually it was.. men. I've been very conscious of Marvel and Disney baiting fans to protect themselves from criticism, they've been doing it for a while now, but they've literally included it in the show now, thats how engrained it is. So now, they tried to blame any critique of the show on 'misogynistic trolls'.. before they even filmed the show! I'm sure there are people who lap this up and don't even see what is going on.

The problem for the writers is that the critiques of the show have mainly been around the stuff that's been going on in the show, almost nobody is worried about there being a female hulk. You have to wonder how much of that is something they cultivated, are they just putting out meme worthy scenes to get viral traction?
How much was the "I do it INFINITELY more than you Bruce" scene in ep1 designed to create controversy?
Knowing that the whole story was leading up to just an excuse to make some comment about men on the internet makes me wonder. Even worse that plot was entirely irrelevant. The fourth wall stuff is good and all, but not so much if the whole plot of the season is pretty much undermined and basically declared pointless by it.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

That was an amusing finale, with surprisingly honest self-criticism of traditional MCU problems and finales. Not sure if it got too meta there, but whatever.

And the VFX team already moved on to something else. (Que Black Panther music) :laugh:

Alright, She-Hulk is definitely the worst MCU show to date, but it's clear that it never tried to beat the likes of Loki or WandaVision. Just a fun, silly, sitcom with MCU characters. The meta commentary at the end was entertaining. I liked Jen and I liked that we got Matt Murdock back.

17 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Alright, She-Hulk is definitely the worst MCU show to date, but it's clear that it never tried to beat the likes of Loki or WandaVision. Just a fun, silly, sitcom with MCU characters. The meta commentary at the end was entertaining. I liked Jen and I liked that we got Matt Murdock back.

I think the show has problems, but nowhere near as many as Falcon & the Winter Soldier, which for my money remains the worst MCU show to date.

I'm not sure I'd rank She-Hulk as significantly worse than Moon Knight or Hawkeye either, although I suppose the latter hits the "trying to be a fluffy bit of fun" target a bit more more squarely. 

If I was going to rank the MCU shows that I've seen (probably not including stuff like What if and the animated shows)

1. Loki
  2. Wandavision
  3. Moon Knight
  4. Ms Marvel
  5. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  6. Hawkeye
  7. She-Hulk

Overall I just don't think any of them are really great. Loki is the best one for me mainly due to Hiddleston's performance and because it is the one that has the fewest obvious flaws.

Wandavision, Moon Knight and Ms Marvel are all shows that had elements in them which are occasionally brilliant, but also fall down on the formulaic, rushed issues that plague a lot of Marvel stuff (which KEVIN seems to own up to!) 

Falcon is a show that could have been a lot better but was a real let down. Hawkeye and She-Hulk I think are both equally poor, though I checked out of Hawkeye due to boredom, so maybe I could swap them. 

I did laugh at the joke about Smashing Matt Murdock.  :lol:   And I'm glad she asked when we're getting the Xmen!

All that aside, and back to the discussion... I really don't know what I'm supposed to do with any of the Marvel shows.  I wouldn't watch any of them again.  (Maybe Loki... maybe.)  It actually ties into a question I had thought about bringing up.  I was at Target the other day and Thor Love and Thunder was on the shelf.  I have every MCU film on BluRay at home.  I didn't like LaT in the theater.  But I bought it anyways.  But why?  Obviously, there's a collection aspect to it (and its the only place I can easily watch Incredible Hulk and the Spiderman Trilogy).  But it doesn't even tell the complete story now.  If I sit down and watch from Ironman to Love and Thunder, I'm not getting the full MCU.  But I sure as hell won't be purchasing physical copies of these shows even though I enjoyed them on some level for the most part.  So why?  :dunno: 

Archived