MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

I think there are a couple of decent comedic performances, Wong and Blonsky for instance, but the actual content and writing of the show is so bare minimum when it comes to humour I really struggle to see it as a comedy. There is stuff that has the appearance of comedy, people talk like they are saying funny things, and the show is edited like a comedy.. but actual funny lines are pretty rare. 

It made me think that there are millions of sitcoms and comedies out there and most of them are only funny at the most basic level, with a few being truly funny. This kind of fits into that genre, the low effort, low reward comedy. 

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yes. And they'll work in a gag about 4th wall breaking etiquette. 

Deadpool 2 already did that. “A fourth wall break inside a fourth wall break? That’s, like, 16 walls!”

For those of you who took no interest in seeing Morbius either time it was released in the theaters, I just noticed it's been released on Netflix (US).

It's morbin' time!

Ok, not really. Too much other good stuff to watch. Maybe I'll give it a try when I get real bored and no one else is home.

She's right... Wong in the episode does make it awesome.  :lol: 

I legit enjoyed that episode.  Its the first one where I felt every part of it worked.  The law stuff.  The superhero stuff.  The dating in the thirties stuff.  And I could feel Wong's despair when Madisynn spoiled The Sopranos for him.  :lol: 

Yeah I hate to say it but that last episode was 'quite good'

The episodic format really is a lot better, it allows for more creativity and more interesting stories that can be one and done in 20 mins. I thought Wong and Madisynn were the absolute highlight, Wong is literally carrying this entire show on his back right now, god knows what they would have done without him.The plot with the magician was decent and lightweight enough to keep me engaged. The dating B plot was bad.

I'd give this episode a 7 overall.

Other thoughts.

The ongoing 'Is Jen actually an asshole' debate goes on, as yet another episode where she is by far the least interesting bit of the show. I doze off every time she is on screen. However the writers have still not established what her character is which is worrying. Yet again she spent this episode moaning about her own situation and problems 'waah I was on a date..waah' 'waah where are all the good me.. waaah' (we'll get to that). So she is either just stitching the plot together as a device or just doing a 'woe is me act'.  

CGI: Pretty dreadful this episode.
She-Hulk in well lit settings = "hello 90's cartoon Reboot, one of your characters is missing"

Men are trash rating: 8. This week almost all men are trash, except of course if they are Wong. They can temporarily appear to be 'good men' by reading Roxanne Gay books on feminism, but in reality even those men are trash. Will there be a big reveal at the end of the series that All men are Skrulls? Is that the plan?

Hollywood shoots itself in the foot to often with this "character can't get a date thing" when every single time, the actor portraying said character is extremely attractive and would have the opposite problem of far foo many people to choose.

That said, this was fun, but not too fun. I agree that Jen is still the weakest part of the show, too much whining.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Hollywood shoots itself in the foot to often with this "character can't get a date thing" when every single time, the actor portraying said character is extremely attractive and would have the opposite problem of far foo many people to choose.

She’s a high flying lawyer in her 30s with a well paid job, her dating pool is probably tiny if she’s not willing to date downwards. Looking on a dating app seems like a predictably futile act. 

That was a better episode.

I actually grew to like Madisynn. :lol: She's more fun than Jen's date. She and Wong were cute together. Benedict Wong is quietly stealing the entire MCU.

Not shocked that Nikki is gay.

26 minutes ago, mormont said:

That was a better episode.

I actually grew to like Madisynn. :lol: She's more fun than Jen's date. She and Wong were cute together. Benedict Wong is quietly stealing the entire MCU.

Not shocked that Nikki is gay.

What “wedding” was Wong talking about?

I haven't seen the latest episode of She-Hulk yet but I did give Thor: Love and Thunder a rewatch. 

I'm beginning to think I was too generous by half in my initial review. Christ it was dreadful. Boring. Bad pacing. Tonally all over the place. None of jokes land. There aren't even any good action or comedy bits to surf. This is damn near WW84 levels of bad. 

I also started to watch some of Thor: Love and Thunder and it really is as bad as everyone said it is.

If I hadnt read the comic, if I had never seen another Thor movie maybe I would think this was ok. But this was like they created a Taika Waititi AI bot to make this movie instead and made it learn by watching Ragnarok a million times but not understand why it worked.

Outside of it just not being funny.. at all.. I think it’s biggest crime is how it treats Thor. It’s like all that character progression from previous movies was irrelevant, it meant nothing and they just made him do stuff. That stuff mainly being a ‘Thor from movie 1 ‘parody. His character is defined by what this movie needs him to be more than anything else.

Second crime was BUTCHERING the God Butcher plotline. Bale was good but his motivation lost all its power with that opening scene, if just didn’t come across at all. 

Bit of a shame, I’d put Ragnarok as one of the only non Russo Marvel movies that is genuinely very good, one I can rewatch over and over again. This is seems like it’s a total mess.

I feel like the CGI in She Hulk gets worse with every episode. I'm starting to wonder if they really did rush this project out the door. It's kind of insane watching this and Rings of Power back to back and seeing the comparison.

You look happy. I guess you saw that Wong is back. God, everybody loves Wong. It's like giving the show Twitter armor for a week.

:lol: It's like they know their core audience or something.

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Bit of a shame, I’d put Ragnarok as one of the only non Russo Marvel movies that is genuinely very good, one I can rewatch over and over again. This is seems like it’s a total mess.

I dunno. I still have a lot of love for the GotG films. And some of the Phase 1 stuff. One of these days I'll dig up my Iron Man DVD and give it another rewatch. 

Archived