MCU: The Wong Dynasty

SpaceChampion

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to have a more comic booky MCU. It just seems a far remove from the origins where everything was powered by arc reactor or infinity stone without much in the way of explanation as to how we got to this stage. We just had a Thor movie where it seems he’s literally a god as opposed to a strong alien people mistook for a god.

My first thought about Immortal Man was why are they trying to get Jen’s blood when there is a guy who literally cannot die right here out in the open! And he can’t fight! 
Who’s blood is more valuable.. the guy who is actually immortal or a mildly strong green woman who isn’t as strong as her bigger greener cousin? 

Anyway, the show should not be viewed with any kind of canonical logic or by even thinking hard about it. It’s clearly not written by people with interest in comic books, and especially not with an interest in law. It should be viewed as a forgettable mid afternoon sitcom that incidentally has some superheroes in it. 

How many episodes left btw? I heard there is only 9? That can’t be right, because that isn’t time for Jen to have any kind of personal arc. So far she has learnt nothing, changed not at all, barely spent any time as She Hulk and is still as obnoxious as ever. What is it they are actually planning on doing with this character?

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

My first thought about Immortal Man was why are they trying to get Jen’s blood when there is a guy who literally cannot die right here out in the open! And he can’t fight! 
Who’s blood is more valuable.. the guy who is actually immortal or a mildly strong green woman who isn’t as strong as her bigger greener cousin? 

I guess it makes sense if @mormont is correct about it being the Leader; he knows that Hulk blood dripped onto his head gives him some kind of intellect powers, maybe he just wants more of that and isn’t interested in immortality.

The show sort of reminds me of Powerless? Anyone else remember that short lives sitcom, which was said to be set in the DCEU. It was filled with all sort of stupid references, like Bruce Wayne's cousin being the boss of the company.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

To be fair I think most powers aren't contagious like that. There's no reason to think you could inject Spider-Man's blood and gain his powers. It just seems to be the super soldier serum and whatever variant of it Banner used on himself. The weird thing is Banner said his blood would kill most people. Which probably does point to The Leader as the one seeking it, since he already survived exposure to it once. 

Yeah there are only three episodes left. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

To be fair I think most powers aren't contagious like that. There's no reason to think you could inject Spider-Man's blood and gain his powers. It just seems to be the super soldier serum and whatever variant of it Banner used on himself. The weird thing is Banner said his blood would kill most people. Which probably does point to The Leader as the one seeking it, since he already survived exposure to it once. 

Yeah there are only three episodes left. 

Not MCU... but wasn't using Spiderman's blood as a cure the central plot point of Amazing Spiderman 2?

Just now, Rhom said:

Not MCU... but wasn't using Spiderman's blood as a cure the central plot point of Amazing Spiderman 2?

Oh, maybe...that movie was so forgettable! I could not tell you the plot for anything. 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Oh, maybe...that movie was so forgettable! I could not tell you the plot for anything. 

Fair.  And maybe "central plot point" isn't accurate when you had five plots going on at once... but yes, one of them was the fact that Harry Osborne had an incurable disease and he was trying to guilt Peter into giving him some blood.  I think.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:06 AM, Heartofice said:

...should be viewed as a forgettable mid afternoon sitcom...

...isn’t time for Jen to have any kind of personal arc...

Sitcoms aren't meant to have character arcs. They stay roughly the same from episode to episode, that's the point. Occasionally you get something, but that's over multiple seasons.

This latest episode was weak. I think Mr. Immortal was meant to be a comment on "Nice Guy Syndrome," though that's not my understanding of what the internet means when it talks about Nice Guy Syndrome.

14 minutes ago, AverageGuy said:

Sitcoms aren't meant to have character arcs. They stay roughly the same from episode to episode, that's the point. Occasionally you get something, but that's over multiple seasons.

This latest episode was weak. I think Mr. Immortal was meant to be a comment on "Nice Guy Syndrome," though that's not my understanding of what the internet means when it talks about Nice Guy Syndrome.

Yeah true, but then that means Jen is permanently a shit person

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah true, but then that means Jen is permanently a shit person

Jerry was always Jerry.

Dan Fielding was always Dan Fielding.

Sam Malone was always Sam Malone.

I tend to agree.  Situation Comedies aren’t the same if the situation changes. :dunno:  I got no problem with Jen being an under appreciated socially awkward gal.  Makes the character work.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Jerry was always Jerry.

I tend to agree.  Situation Comedies aren’t the same if the situation changes. :dunno:  I got no problem with Jen being an under appreciated socially awkward gal.  Makes the character work.

The problem is that the character doesn't work.

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Jerry was always Jerry.

Well it’s obvious the show will have some sort of character development t for Jen because at some point she will accept the She Hulk side of her.

I suspect however that the show writers do not recognise that Jen has flaws, and so there won’t be character development outside of that. Other characters will tell her she’s great and an amazing person, despite her never being one

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well it’s obvious the show will have some sort of character development t for Jen because at some point she will accept the She Hulk side of her.

Has she not? She went to the wedding rehearsal and started dating as She-Hulk. I think she just doesn't want to quit her job and join the Avongers. 

5 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

The problem is that the character doesn't work.

The character works fine for me and many others. I think you mean the problem is that the character doesn't work for some viewers, apparently including you. And that's fine. There are few characters that work for everyone.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:42 AM, Heartofice said:

Men are trash rating: 8. A big week for men are trash as Immortal Man gets to step in to represent all trash men: afraid of commitment, liars, self interested, callous cheaters. This seems to be another excuse for the writers to unload their prejudices and past damage on screen. So essentially this entire plot was just two minority women berating this terrible white male for his behaviour. Very cathartic I’m sure. There was a non trash man who loves Jen for no apparent reason ( very Twilight) but time will tell whether he ends up revealing his trash side like all other men.

:huh:

On 9/22/2022 at 3:37 PM, sifth said:

I might be over thinking things, but how exactly does Mr. Immortal fake his death, when he seems to come back to life instantly after being killed? He's not like Deadpool, who has to wait a few days to regrow his body after taking too much damage to himself.

He closes his eyes and pretends not to breathe until no one's looking. Then he quietly sneaks off. 

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Jerry was always Jerry.

Sam Malone had an arc dammit. 

-

Another banger episode. Note, I am not invested at all in the broader MCU. Nor am I concerned about interconnectedness or continuity. This is PG-13 "Sex and the City" with superpowers and should be judged thusly*. 

*I once attended a presentation on basic surfacing techniques in CAD and the guy said, "thusly", like, a lot. 

Archived