US Politics: Hey wanna come to my office and see some Top Secret Eyes only documents?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Okay, given the sensitive nature of the documents recovered, just how many people are qualified to serve as 'Special Master?' Who would be on such a list?

Former President Bush II?

One or another of the Cheney's?

One of the generals tossed by Trump?

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If we're playing this Bingo game, France seems too obvious. Trump having dirt on who Macron may be boning sounds far more plausible. Israel came to mind too, but again, for what purpose? To sell to the Saudis? 

I'll throw China's hat into the ring. 

Nuclear secrets of an allied nation. That narrows down the short list signifcantly (basically cuts it in half).

Nuclear powers: US, UK, France, Russia, India, Pakistan, Israel, N. Korea.

We can scratch the US from that list for obvious reasons. Which of those remaining count as allies?

Allies: The UK, France, Israel. 

Ambivalent: India

Hostile: Russia, China, Pakistan, N. Korea

UK would be the most surprising one. France is the obvious pick. Israel, possible, but to whom and what for?

Personally I think France as a (continental) European nation is strategically the most interesting for Russia (does the EU actually have some teeth?)

China might be interested in India's capabilities (but I would not count them as allies strictly speaking).  Israel might be of interest to some countries in the middle east, however, they know Israel is a nuclear power, and they are not. So that makes it a bit unattractive. China might also be tentatively interested in what Israel's defensive capabilities look like, if theywant to expand their sphere of influence a bit further north. And once again Russia might be interested for similar reasons wrt interests in the middle East. But I'd think Javanaka's exit strategy might be impacted by it being Israel

So yeah, Israel and France are my frontrunners. That Islands west to Europe is not that interesting. Why bother with them?

The special master thing is obviously a standard tactic that Trump and his ilk engage in when caught red handed: stall. But there doesn’t have to be any actual plan or objective behind the stalling other than hoping something turns up or even putting off the inevitable. It’s typical Trump behaviour to just throw shit around in the hope that it somehow works out. He’s not trying to get to 2024. He’s trying get to next week. 

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

UK would be the most surprising one. France is the obvious pick. Israel, possible, but to whom and what for?

I'd guess it's probably the UK actually. The UK's nuclear weapons capacity is very closely tied to the US, as I understand it both France and Israel (especially) have made efforts to keep theirs distinct from the US. If it were about France or the Israel I'd guess it'd be described more as an intelligence document.

People wondering who the SM will be. The SM, who is chosen by judge of this case, will be whomever Trump instructs her to pick. She is obviously one of his bought and paid for bootlickers.

I totally expect some outrageously inappropriate partisan to be named by this lackey judge.

17 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

People wondering who the SM will be. The SM, who is chosen by judge of this case, will be whomever Trump instructs her to pick. She is obviously one of his bought and paid for bootlickers.

I totally expect some outrageously inappropriate partisan to be named by this lackey judge.

Don't both parties have to agree on who the SM will be? 

46 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I will have to double check, but I thought I had read that the corrupt case judge was to appoint one from the pools the 2 sides put forward.

Yeah everything im reading indicates its the case judge herself that chooses.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

The special master thing is obviously a standard tactic that Trump and his ilk engage in when caught red handed: stall. But there doesn’t have to be any actual plan or objective behind the stalling other than hoping something turns up or even putting off the inevitable. It’s typical Trump behaviour to just throw shit around in the hope that it somehow works out. He’s not trying to get to 2024. He’s trying get to next week. 

I completely agree with this. And in terms of "typical Trump behavior" I also think all the speculation about him planning to sell nuclear secrets or other intelligence as his reason for taking the documents is over-thinking. Not that I don't think he'd sell some of the information if offered, or even let Putin just have some of it if Putin told him what a great guy he'd be for doing it, but I can't imagine Donald Trump really had some well-thought-out plan for choosing particular documents to sell to somebody. I think he just grabbed a bunch of stuff that he could look at once in a while or show to people he wanted to impress for his own narcissistic ego-stroking, to tell himself he was better than any other world leader and pretend he still had the power of the presidency. Really his taking documents from the White House may not be very different than a rapist or serial killer who takes and keeps clothing, jewelry, or hair from victims in order to look at them afterwards and remember the experience. Perhaps this is just a criminal wanting to reminisce about his past crimes in addition to showing off to others.

4 hours ago, mormont said:

The whole thing doesn't look very thought out. His lawyers could have made an agreement to return documents, a real agreement. Instead the plan seems to be to spit in the eye of the DOJ at every step. And the special master thing is a part of that. It's very Trumpian, but it's a pretty poor legal plan to delay and piss off the DOJ instead of seeking immunity. Especially when you consider how lenient the DOJ is on elites in these types of cases.

I mean, you don't exactly need a 200 step master plan when you have dictators and other dubious actors coming to your country club, where he also had the documents nearby.

Then again, we may never know what he has done or was planning to do with some of the docs.

A new ad of Beto. I'm glad he dug out this little tidbit again. Trigger warning.

So, a bit of a rhetorical question.  If 45 was shopping/selling the docs for 18 months, wouldn't our IC and their spys detect that activity?  Doubtful we'll ever know, however, Biden's decision to not share classified in with 45 looks better than ever. 

2 minutes ago, LongRider said:

So, a bit of a rhetorical question.  If 45 was shopping/selling the docs for 18 months, wouldn't our IC and their spys detect that activity?  Doubtful we'll ever know, however, Biden's decision to not share classified in with 45 looks better than ever. 

I too don't think he is shopping them; he's keeping them as trophies, just like he did his Time covers. 

The problem is that Mar-a-lago isn't remotely secure and is absolutely riddled with spies. But I doubt very seriously he was looking for a payout for this. 

6 hours ago, mormont said:

Right, this is what I've been saying.  Can't help but be reminded of:

Watching the unveiling of the Obama portraits at the White House and you can see...even as dignified and important as the job of President is, that it isn't impossible to inject a sense of fun and whimsy to the place.  Obama and Biden absolutely play well off of one another and it can be a joy to watch.

Archived