US Politics: Hey wanna come to my office and see some Top Secret Eyes only documents?

Ser Scot A Ellison

A 'Left' conspiracy theory or supposition making the rounds on Facebook and maybe elsewhere:

Trump took at least some of the classified documents upon exiting the white house because he believed they held 'proof' of the 'Deep State Conspiracy' that cost him the election. 

This conspiracy theory or supposition does seem to be in accord with Trumps public comments since leaving office. If this is the case - if the documents that Trump believed supported his claim of deep state election fraud were in those empty folders - then I don't see him ever voluntarily turning them over to the government. Instead, he'll keep right on trying to hide them.

9 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Trump took at least some of the classified documents upon exiting the white house because he believed they held 'proof' of the 'Deep State Conspiracy' that cost him the election. 

Seems legit.     /s

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

You would think, but he wears this this to job interviews. Along with the hillbilly beard. It makes him a fearsome predator of the capitalist battlefields.

Well, it kinda does. The workforce was cheaper than in any Chinese sweatshop, and it was capitalist logic of exploitation brought to its extreme. 

Ginni Thomas Linked To 38 Groups That Lobbied SCOTUS To Overturn Roe

Every day it seems Justice Clarence Thomas’ refusals to recuse himself from cases his wife is up to her neck in look more corrupt.

The Guardian reported Friday, based on research by the non-partisan Advance Democracy Inc., that Ginni Thomas is connected to 38 of the 74 anti-abortion groups that filed “amicus briefs” successfully urging the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade.

These are no casual connections:

[The findings] show an intricate web of connections between many of the most influential groups and figures on the conservative hard right, with Ginni Thomas at the centre of it. Several of the links run through her consultancy, Liberty Consulting, which she set up in 2010 and which brags that it can “give access to any door in Washington”.

Another major route is through the Council for National Policy (CNP), a secretive Christian conservative networking group that the New York Times described as a “little-known club of a few hundred of the most powerful conservatives in the country”. The binding mission of the members is “limited government, strong national defense, and support for traditional western values”.

The Guardian notes that Ginni Thomas denies any conflict of interest saying, “Clarence doesn’t discuss his work with me, and I don’t involve him in my work.” That is very much not a claim that she doesn’t discuss her work with him.

https://crooksandliars.com/2022/09/ginni-thomas-linked-38-groups-lobbied

This is funny. But still, CNN simpering for Fox viewers and MAGA approval is embarrassing.

And then Zeleny began sounding like he belonged on a news parody like “Weekend Update.”

“Maybe in the spirit of forgiving and giving, President Biden will invite the Donald Trump on the Air Force I. I doubt that will happen, but I do expect some type of a bipartisan delegation.”

Really!?!

And then Tapper jumped in and said:

“I think the clever move is to invite him — and see if he goes. I don’t think President Trump, former President Trump, would want to be subordinate on Air Force I. And I think, probably, he prefers his own plane anyway.”

Really1?!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/9/11/2122143/-Really-CNN-held-a-panel-discussion-on-whether-Biden-should-invite-Trump-to-the-queen-s-funeral

So diehard politicos will already be aware of this turn in fortune, in the efforts to keep the filthy Red parties Senatorial candidates at bay.

For the more casual followers such as myself, its a pleasant surprise.

Forecasters now predict Democrats have the edge in the fight for Senate control

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/08/politics/senate-democrats-midterm-election-forecast/index.html

Just hoping the good tides keep rolling.

22 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

The Guardian notes that Ginni Thomas denies any conflict of interest saying, “Clarence doesn’t discuss his work with me, and I don’t involve him in my work.” That is very much not a claim that she doesn’t discuss her work with him.

I'm hardpressed to think of a grosser couple in our country.

The shameless flouting of any shred of ethics, yet they get to maintain positions of enormous privilege, it makes think of the expression "licence to steal."

I mean really, who will do anything about it?

They are the kind of couple Imelda Marcos and Al Capone would make and he's a SC Justice?

Fpotus has just filed his opposition to the motion of partial stay by the DOJ.

“In what at its core is a document storage dispute that has spiraled out of control, the Government wrongfully seeks to criminalize the possession by the 45th President of his own Presidential and personal records,” Trump’s attorneys wrote in a 21-page filing. ...

Among the more aggressive arguments in Trump’s brief is a suggestion that he could deem records personal under the Presidential Records Act, even if they were classified.

“Classified or declassified, the documents remain either Presidential records or personal records under the PRA,” Trump’s legal team wrote.

In one passage, Trump’s lawyers even argue that he had the right to designate records as personal after he left office. “The former President has sole discretion to classify a record as personal or Presidential,” they write, citing a portion of Jackson’s decision that actually says that designation must be made while a president is in office.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/12/trump-fights-back-against-doj-in-dispute-over-classified-records-00056129

The filing: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.84.0.pdf

NYT apparently just published an analysis warning that the strength the Dems are showing in recent polls may be a mirage in many of the competitive swing states. Cant read it because paywall, but it is of course a worry based on historical results (with the caveat of Dobbs)

Edit: specific states to be worried about are Nevada and Georgia. Nevada is particularly worrisome because of some registration data Ralston (sp?) has been pointing out in recent months.

43 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They Say so many women in states such as Texas, have recently registered to vote in unprecedented numbers.

Why hadn't they registered before, and voted before now?

I'd guess about half the people in my life don't vote regularly, and think politics is a waste of time where your vote doesn't matter.  

And then you get into all the ways that they discourage people from voting - long lines, distant polling sites, registration requirements, etc.  

Federal Reserve
The Fed should pause interest rate rises as US inflation slows
Joseph Stiglitz and Dean Baker
It would be irresponsible to create much higher unemployment – and the US economy could be pushed into recession

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/12/the-fed-interest-rate-rises-us-inflation-unemployment-recession

Still, the overall inflation story is simple: Many of the supply-side factors that drove prices higher earlier in the recovery are now being reversed. Notably, the CPI gasoline index plunged by 7.7% in July, and private indices suggest a comparable decline in August. Again, this price reversal was predictable and predicted; the only uncertainty concerned the timing.

Other prices are following a similar pattern. In July, the core CPI (which excludes energy and food) rose by a relatively modest 0.3%, and the core PCE deflator rose by just 0.1%. That suggests an easing of the backlog of imported goods – the problem behind those empty store shelves and business disruptions earlier in the pandemic.

Recent data support this inference. The Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s global supply chain pressure index has fallen sharply from its peaks last fall to just above where it was before the pandemic. While shipping costs are still well above pre-Covid levels, they are down almost 50% from last autumn’s peaks and likely to keep falling. After soaring during the pandemic and in the early months of Russia’s war, the prices of a wide range of commodities have fallen to pre-pandemic levels. The Baltic dry goods index, for example, is below its average level for 2019.

Justice Dept. says it will accept Trump nominee for special master
Judge Raymond Dearie, a former chief federal judge in New York, is acceptable to both Trump team and prosecutors to act as a neutral arbiter of seized documents, according to a new court filing

Archived