Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

That 2nd half made for grim viewing. More dull than the 2nd half against Southampton. At least Southampton played some good football but Leicester looked lost and we also decided to stop trying and just see out the game in 3rd gear. At least Ten Hag has shown that he can be pragmatic since this squad is not really suited to the style of football he normally likes to implement. Important win for us since our next game is most likely a loss.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Important win for us since our next game is most likely a loss.

Not quite. This is our first actual test of the season, while you've already battered Liverpool. So we'll see.

Should be a cracking game. Looking forward to it.

Part of a comment by @baxus in the previous thread:

... this match is exactly why we need 2 30-minute halves with time stopped when ball is out of play instead of the current setup.

MLS had a couple of experiments when it first started in 1996.  One was a clock that counted down from 45:00 to 0:00, and the officials were supposed to stop the clock during breaks in play.  Another being an ice hockey style PK shootout to break ties at the end of the game.  Both ideas were scrapped at the end of the first season, iirc. 

4 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

MLS had a couple of experiments when it first started in 1996.  One was a clock that counted down from 45:00 to 0:00, and the officials were supposed to stop the clock during breaks in play.  Another being an ice hockey style PK shootout to break ties at the end of the game.  Both ideas were scrapped at the end of the first season, iirc.

First of all, any innovation that comes from the US would be seen as an abomination and the way to "ruin our beautiful game". I'd dare say that's the case even today, and it especially was 26 years ago. Not exactly fair, but that's how it goes.

45 minutes of play is too long for a half and too short for a full game. Back in the day while I was watching Serie A, during the broadcast they would show how long each team had the ball in possession in play, and over the course of the whole match it would always be around 60 minutes combined. Sometimes it would be a minute or two more or less, but the average was around 60 minutes. Now, obviously it's not representative, and the duration of the half could be 35 minutes or 25 minutes or whatever the data suggests, but something needs to be done about time wasting.

I could be mistaken, but I remember reading something about (I think) Dutch second division trying out something similar this season, or that it would be trying it in one of the upcoming seasons. I'm looking forward to hearing how that goes.

8 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Complaining about crowd reaction when you've instructed your players to waste time from the 3rd minute is a bit odd.

I think he is referring to general antipathy. 

He claims he doesn't understand it. Perhaps the dumb cunt should educate himself. 

What good are fines against a sportswashing club like PSG, Man City, etc.?  They have unlimited money, that is the problem already, so paying a fine is just another cash activity for them.

It is like punishing the ocean for being wet by splashing it with water.

Come on, UEFA, fait attention, s'il vous plait.

I fear tomorrow, I have to say. 

In a way, we're set up for matches against teams like Liverpool this year - defending deep, staying solid, hitting with speed on the break. But I can't for the life of me see our backline holding firm for an entire match, and even with the addition of Maupay, I don't see many goals in this team.

So expecting a loss.

Archived