Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

So true. I'm still annoyed that offsides is down to the millimeter but camera angles are horrendous and accuracy of lines being drawn vary from game to game. The spirit of the offsides rule is an unfair advantage which a millimeter or centimeter is not. Should go to that.

Watching MotD this morning, it strikes me as extremely fucking odd that Ivan Toney is still at Brentford.

He is such a good player, I can't understand why none of the big teams have come in for him. 

Maybe he's a wrong 'un or something.

He’s not the quickest so he probably doesn’t fit the exact profile of what the teams chasing Champions League places want for their forwards. On top of that Premier League teams mostly don’t need to sell players anymore so any potential buyers probably know it’ll cost them to pry him away from Brentford.

Yeah, he's really good but I think bigger teams are worried that (1) to get the most out of him you have to specifically play around him and (2) he isn't that good that it's worth it for a team in the CL or trying to get there. 

Like, say we went for him. He wouldn't be bad, you'd imagine, you'd get the benefit of his own through-passing for Bruno or Martial/Rashford to run onto and we get enough chaos in the box that he'd feed on that, but he wouldn't be running onto through-passes or sitting on the shoulder of the last defender creating space with his runs, so you'd lose a lot of the best part of Bruno's game in particular and Sancho and Rashford (when on the left) to some extent. 

I could see him ending up a bit like Zaha, always linked with no-one quite taking the plunge, although I think he's quite a lot better than Zaha (who I never particularly liked as a winger, though he's a decent CF) and in any case there's more of a shortage of 9s than pacy wide players so a team is more likely to eventually go for him. 

Brighton were in for him at some point. I think Zaha would be excellent at any of the CL clubs, but he would be very expensive. Also, United *did* take the plunge with Zaha but they were a dysfunctional mess.

Archived