Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well yeah, but that was before he became an established Prem player. He was genuinely shite in the few chances he got for us. 

I feel like it wasn't difficult to see that the quality was there, and if they had had any sort of coach/ squad planning, then they would have kept him.

36 minutes ago, Raja said:

Brighton were in for him at some point. I think Zaha would be excellent at any of the CL clubs, but he would be very expensive. Also, United *did* take the plunge with Zaha but they were a dysfunctional mess.

Good. Some bullshit going on right now.

2 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Still not entirely convinced Zaha works best in a team not set up for him. He's excellent as the Big Fish in Palace, how he'd be on the wing for Chelsea or Liverpool is another matter, I think.

He's actually looked better at Palace with other quality players around him in Eze & Olise. I think his technical quality is more than good enough to be a starter at some of the big clubs

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

He's actually looked better at Palace with other quality players around him in Eze & Olise. I think his technical quality is more than good enough to be a starter at some of the big clubs

Yeah, he does look better, but I think those two still play more to his strengths. Basically don't feel like Palace rely on him less, more that they have gotten players who can help him.

Though I'm regularly wrong on matters of football, so ...

5 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Yeah, he does look better, but I think those two still play more to his strengths. Basically don't feel like Palace rely on him less, more that they have gotten players who can help him.

Though I'm regularly wrong on matters of football, so ...

I also think that the top teams are playing a style of positional play football that might not be a perfect fit for Zaha. They seem to be recruiting very specific players who can do very specific things to align with their system. Spending that much on Zaha when it's not clear he'll fit is probably a step too far. He will also be 30 this year which doesn't help.

Yeah I'm with Rorschach. Zaha's product as a winger is pretty low-percentage- he's such a good dribbler that if you get him on the ball a lot he'll make a lot of chances, and he'll drag players to him creating more space when he does dig it out, but you've got to play through him consistently for it to be worth the pay-off given that he punts it into a defender more often than not. He's not a good crosser or passer. 

Like I say I like him more down the middle- his finishing is really good- but not so much that I wonder why we or others chasing Europe haven't jumped on him in that position either.

Especially at the price consistently being asked for him throughout the last few years. 

Sorta reckon that if it takes 5 minutes to make the desicion, it's not a clear and obvious mistake.

But I'm mystified as to how PL still can't properly use VAR. Implementation has been a Sack Everyone Responsible Since They Are Utterly Clueless-process.

All VAR does is rule out goals. Does anyone actually think it’s improving the game for the watching public? Okay that’s probably technically a foul but do we really want to be taking away goals to retrospectively adjudicate stuff like that?

Archived