Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

The only time you could even close to reasonably give back a point is if the disallowed goal was in injury time or something. You can't just assume the game would have gone exactly the same if the goal had stood (because it wouldn't). What action to take is gonna mean guidance to VAR officials about what to call and when to interfere, not future recounts after the fact. 

5 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Giving points back to clubs would open a can of worms. Just find a solution for the problem long-term and move on. 

And btw I still think West Ham's goal should not have stood. I didn't see the rest of the disputed goals though.

Obviously. My point is more that it's bullshit. VAR is built to disallow a goal, not fix clear and obvious errors. Getting down to the millimeter or re-refereeing a decision in slow mo 70x that a ref has perfect view of in real time just wasn't what VAR was pitched as.

As for West Ham's goal, that's just flat wrong. Mendy went at his legs, what was the player supposed to do to avoid hitting him? Additionally, it didn't impact the play. Mendy fucked up, pushed the ball into the path of the other players and took himself out of the play. The fact he laid on the ground and cried like a bitch until the VAR decision was over and then got up like nothing happened shouldn't be a factor.

It's so funny how predictable this was going to be. Arsenal were going to have a goal disallowed by VAR, United would throw around their players like rag dolls and Arsenal player would get booked for their first foul. Can't wait for the 2nd half.

Archived