Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

16 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

So Potter is going to be head coach rather than manager. I guess that's so he can't obstruct Boehly when he wants to do stupid shit like sign Ronaldo, which was one of the things that Tuchel did that led to the beginning of the end.

Boehly definitely seems more concerned with the brand name and money than football. Although, to be fair, Chelsea did not have a good start to the season.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

So Potter is going to be head coach rather than manager. I guess that's so he can't obstruct Boehly when he wants to do stupid shit like sign Ronaldo, which was one of the things that Tuchel did that led to the beginning of the end.

Don't think we can read too much into that. Chelsea's managers have been designated the title of head coach rather than manager for some time now – it was the same with Tuchel, Lampard, Sarri and Conte.

If (major if, that) Potter gets to do his job as he wants to, Chelsea will become a factor in the title race in a season or two, I think. I do believe he has the talent to make it happen.

This also makes me a little bit happy we didn't go for him (or, perhaps, he didn't go for us) this winter, as a new manager search now really isn't what I'm longing for.

5 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Boehly definitely seems more concerned with the brand name and money than football. Although, to be fair, Chelsea did not have a good start to the season.

Like I said above, not great, but not horrible either. Tuchel will probably moan about the two points they were cheated out of against Spurs.

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

I've got a feeling Potter won't be able to make the step up.  But I'm probably wrong.

I think he will do fine.

The Assistant Head of Recruitment joining Chelsea is the interesting bit. New DoF?

Best of luck to Potter.  He’s earned a larger stage although Brighton can’t be too pleased to see him go and 21 million is inadequate compensation for his value to them.  Perhaps some managers should have bigger buy-out clauses in their contracts.

I don’t want Chelsea to be successful with him but let’s see how he does, and whether they have enough patience.  Tuchel is probably just as effective as a coach and was being fêted high and low only a few months ago.

I expect this season to be a write-off for Liverpool.  The real question will be whether the fatigue and complacency can be rooted out for a big re-set next year?  Some players like Henderson and Milner and Firmino have just aged out, as expected.  But VVD, TAA, Fabinho, Robertson, Gomez and Salah are all struggling too and they are either not all that old for their position or else on a contract that implies they should be still playing at their peak for a couple more years.  Klopp may need to copy ETH and abandon the high line until they have the stamina to press effectively.

Decent first half without being great.

Eriksen is proving a brilliant signing- I knew he could play a a deeper playmaker in emergencies, but he's turning out to be excellent at it. Him playing tonight does somewhat highlight the problem though- no back-up for what he gives. I hope Iqbal gets a few minutes to start to show what he's got, because I think he's a natural for that role, but that'll only happen if we get a decent lead. 

Antony's obviously still not fully in the tempo of the team yet, but two promising early signs: he seems to have the stomach  for a fight if necessary, having a bit of a running battle with the fullback today, and his first touch is great

Archived