Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

Chelsea vs Liverpool I understand because of policing in London, and Brighton vs Palace has that funky rivalry going on that might need policing on the Palace end even if it's away (it was also already at risk because of the train strikes but since they're off, that's not it) but what the hell does us vs Leeds have to do with it? Are they worried that the Houses of Lancaster and York will go to war again in this time of succession?

Article stating that some games are at risk due to sky sports not having enough resources with all sky equipment being tucked up with covering the Queen. If that is true it is an outrageous reason. Lack of police and crowd safety is one thing, but TV rights? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11203131/amp/Premier-League-footballs-return-faces-problem-lack-Sky-TV-TRUCKS.html

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

They're probably taking officers from other police forces to support with policing the funeral. Greater Manchester's the biggest police force outside of London so maybe they're sending a big number of officers? :dunno:

There's a lot of mutual aid. Its outrageous the facilities they give you normally, cot beds in sports halls. 

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Article stating that some games are at risk due to sky sports not having enough resources with all sky equipment being tucked up with covering the Queen. If that is true it is an outrageous reason. Lack of police and crowd safety is one thing, but TV rights? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11203131/amp/Premier-League-footballs-return-faces-problem-lack-Sky-TV-TRUCKS.html

Here in the US TV networks have a ton of say on when and where games will be played. They're paying a shit ton for those rights and expect influence on the decision making process. Iirc the PL was created in part with the networks in mind so my guess is it's the same on your side of the pond.

In other news, the new Chelsea owner is talking about a PL All-Star game. Would there be interest in that? 

Green shoots of recovery but still not that good.  The fresh faces all did pretty well tonight, especially Thiago.

Elliott, in fairness to him, has been a good technical advanced MF with the ball this season, it’s just that he’s so ineffective out of possession and doesn’t provide much or any cover.  There’s room to improve if we get the shape right.

2 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Not sure but I don't think so.

The All-Star games here typically stink, and I can't imagine the game would look great with a bunch of PL players with no chemistry. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

There's no conferences, how would it work? What's the suggested teams? 

What was suggest is North vs. South (I have no idea how that would even work), but I think a more entertaining product would be to let the top two players be captains and they draft their teams playground style. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

In other news, the new Chelsea owner is talking about a PL All-Star game. Would there be interest in that? 

I guess if sports-washing oil magnates can pass the "fit and proper" test, so can the educationally subnormal as long as they have money.

Archived