Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

10 hours ago, Consigliere said:

:lol:

Ligue 1 has been more competitive than the Bundesliga over these past 10 years.

Yeah I'm actually a defendor of Ligue 1 being a better (or at least, less predictable) league than the Bundesliga.

But this year, I think it's pretty clear that PSG will be champions. They have had a strong start to the season, and generally don't collapse mid season (they do collapse in their CL games though).

In Germany, OTOH, the main team are 5th at the moment, and will struggle to replace the output of RL9, so it might as well be a year for BVB or any outsider.

27 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

In Germany, OTOH, the main team are 5th at the moment, and will struggle to replace the output of RL9, so it might as well be a year for BVB or any outsider.

It's only Dortmund and Leipzig that realistically have the squads to mount any challenge over the course of a season. Dortmund aren't exactly flying. They're struggling in front of goal a lot more than Bayern and are only 3 points ahead of Bayern. Leipzig have been rubbish and Union Berlin doesn't have the depth to go the distance and will most likely start to fall away soon enough.

I expect Bayern will be top by the time the leagues break for the WC. Also expect that Serie A and La Liga are going to provide the best title races in the top 5 leagues this season. The rest of the top 5 leagues are just going to be Bayern, Man City and PSG processions to the title.

RB Salzburg confirm that Christoph Freund will not be joining Chelsea.

https://www.redbullsalzburg.at/de/aktuelles/news/christoph-freund-bleibt-sportdirektor-in-salzburg

The extensive media and public speculation of the last few days has prompted us to make the following statement: Christoph Freund is and will remain sporting director of FC Red Bull Salzburg, there is no move to Chelsea!

Here are the statements from managing director Stephan Reiter and sports director Christoph Freund:

Christoph Freund has been doing excellent work for us for many years and only recently extended his contract until 2026. I can hereby confirm that he will remain sporting director of FC Red Bull Salzburg. Of course, he informed me about Chelsea FC's interest in him and we exchanged ideas on a personal level and in good conversations. The fact is that he will remain our sporting director! We have not received any inquiries about a possible change.

As I have already confirmed in interviews, Chelsea FC was interested in me. When such a big club asks, it not only honours me and the work of FC Red Bull Salzburg, it is of course also a circumstance that entails personal considerations. But I've come to the conclusion that I'm in the best of hands with FC Red Bull Salzburg and that a change is out of the question for me. We're in the middle of a very intense phase and have important tasks to do in the Bundesliga, Cup and Champions League – that's what my focus and concentration are all on.

Gotta say, Xhaka has been quietly very good for Arsenal over the last 12 months or so. He is rightly getting some attention at the moment, and even though he is likely overshadowed by all the other talent in the team he has been consistently good for the team. 

Didnt think there was a way back for him but happy to see him do well. 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Didnt think there was a way back for him but happy to see him do well. 

Yeah, he's been excellent. I have developed mad respect for the guy. You really have to admire the way he's knuckled down and turned things round with the fans. The away support singing his name the other day was lovely to see.

Hahaha, Max is trolling his club.

Small summary.

Kruse made a money move from Union to Wolfsburg pretty close to deadline day in the January window. He was the player Kohfeldt absolutely wanted. Max also felt, there was some unfinished business there, as his fist stint there (another money move) didn't work out.

Fast forward start of this season. Kohfeldt out, Kovac in. Kovac doesn't dig Kruse. Publicly stating Kruse is finished and won't play for Wolfsburg ever again. They are trying to negotiate contract termination with him. 

Now last WE Union hosted Wolfsburg (without Kruse obviously) and cruised to a 2-0 victory with the Union fans mocking Wolfsburg with the standard chant: Without Kruse you don't stand a chance.

Kruse on his part has thanked the fans on social media. I heard what the fans were singing. It's a great feeling to hear it from fans of a club for which you used to play. So heartfelt thank you. There also was sorta ruckus in front of my house [in Berlin] sunday night. As a few showed up sang and light up some flares. Police had to show up, because it got a bit too noisy. I also appreciate that. Thank you so much.

22 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, he's been excellent. I have developed mad respect for the guy. You really have to admire the way he's knuckled down and turned things round with the fans. The away support singing his name the other day was lovely to see.

Shades of Eboue in his rehabilitation, although he's a better player than Eboue even after he turned the fans around I suspect.

This story has a lot of layers to it, but how common is it for a team to dismiss the majority of the players instead of firing the coach when the former clearly hate the latter?:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/spain-espw/story/4752428/spain-womens-team-to-replace-15-players-threatening-to-quit-over-head-coach-stay

Archived