Hey all, a few questions

_Rygar_

8 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I don't have the quote but he tells Dany something to the effect that if he had been there when Rhaegar's dead children were presented to Robert he would have killed him on the spot. Thus by his own admission he wasn't a safe bet and it was only circumstance that kept him from attempting to kill his new king.

actually he said he would have killed Robert on the spot if he'd seen him(Robert) delighted to see dead children . I can't say Bobby was delighted but he still called them "dragonspawns"

5 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

actually he said he would have killed Robert on the spot if he'd seen him(Robert) delighted to see dead children . I can't say Bobby was delighted but he still called them "dragonspawns"

That's what I get for not making sure I had the quote, huh. Fair enough, but it's still conditional loyalty. Gerold Hightower would not approve. To my first point though I can't see anyone assuming that his reaction would be any different and that's why were I the one giving out white cloaks Selmy would have received a black one. Even if he didn't see himself as a Targ loyalist he should have been seen and treated as one by others.

16 hours ago, _Rygar_ said:

4) Are the “Prince Who Was Promised” and “Azor Ahai” the same personages? Why or why not?

Depends on which Azor Ahai you are referring to.
You have "Azor Ahai", the legendary figure who ended the Long Night 5.000 years ago, the Last Hero.
And you have "Azor Ahai Reborn", the prophesied one to lead the army against the darkness which is the Prince that was Promised.
R'hllor cultist perceived the world through their religion. When they heard about the legend of the man who ended the Long Night they saw him as their God's champion, Azor Ahai.

It is also written that there are annals in Asshai of such a darkness, and of a hero who fought against it with a red sword. [...] This legend has spread west from Asshai, and the followers of R'hllor claim that this hero was named Azor Ahai, and prophesy his return.
The World of Ice and Fire - Ancient History: The Long Night

And then you have the prophecy of a new figure that will lead again humanity against the dark, the Prince that was Promised. The prophecy is "born amidst salt and smoke to wake dragons out of stone"

It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.
A Storm of Swords - Davos III

And as we can see when Aemon mentioned the Prince that was Promised prophecy, it's the same clues:

"It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought... the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. He shared my belief when he was young, but later he became persuaded that it was his own son who fulfilled the prophecy, for a comet had been seen above King's Landing on the night Aegon was conceived, and Rhaegar was certain the bleeding star had to be a comet. What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years. Daenerys is the one, born amidst salt and smoke. The dragons prove it."
A Feast for Crows - Samwell IV

Melisandre is well aware of both names and use them interchangeably, so does Martin.

You are the prince that was promised, and if you fail the world fails with you.
A Storm of Swords - Davos VI

"It is the war for the dawn you speak of, my lady. But where is the prince that was promised?"
"He stands before you," Melisandre declared, "though you do not have the eyes to see. Stannis Baratheon is Azor Ahai come again, the warrior of fire. In him the prophecies are fulfilled. The red comet blazed across the sky to herald his coming, and he bears Lightbringer, the red sword of heroes."
A Storm of Swords - Samwell V

In return Melisandre sees that the Lord of Light gives him a token of his role as the Prince that was Promised by ancient prophecy and that's the sword Lightbringer.
https://youtu.be/DIe0Q3PgcOw?t=423

So I think it's really important to understand that Melisandre is a Red Priest, a zealot and that affect the way she perceives the world, the legend and the prophecy. Azor Ahai is the champion of their god and this is why they use that name to designate two different legendary figures past and future (the Last Hero and the Prince that was Promised).
We can clearly see that with the fact that, when Aemon and Marwyn mention the prophecy they say "born amidst..."  whereas Melisandre always say "born again amidst..."
So Azor Ahai Reborn = The Prince that was Promised.

9 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I don't have the quote but he tells Dany something to the effect that if he had been there when Rhaegar's dead children were presented to Robert he would have killed him on the spot. Thus by his own admission he wasn't a safe bet and it was only circumstance that kept him from attempting to kill his new king.

So, which one of the 7 mentioned earlier by me wouldn't have done that? Don't take in factor that they were all Kingsguard to a Targaryen.

Archived