Heresy 244 Big Scaly Beasties with Bad Breath

Black Crow

On 9/12/2022 at 9:08 PM, Mace Cooterian said:

Oh, and by the way.... @Melifeather if you are providing commentary on Westworld, please hit me up as I would enjoy reading our thoughts.

I'm currently rereading previous episode analysis and came across this:

A proper experiment has only one variable, and William’s Man in Black was the one variable in a controlled storyline. Each time a storyline played out the Man in Black did something different, but he always ended the experiment by raping Dolores. He was purposely trying to create a decoherence in Dolores, but why? Is it because he fell in love with her? He wanted to “awaken” Dolores and make her “real”, but over the years and multiple tests, he fell out love, became less than human himself, and turned Dolores into a revenge seeking monster. Maybe William isn't a hybrid. Maybe he really is human, but over the years he became like a host? His mind lost it's grip on reality and his personality splintered.

Circling back to this closeness of two quantum states…If Dolores was measuring Bernard’s fidelity - and I think Bernard measured Dolores’s also - does this mean they both have human consciousnesses inside them? We know Bernard has Arnold inside him. Who is inside Dolores? Or was she strictly an AI host with no human consciousness at all and William wanted to see if he could turn an AI into a human? William fell in love with somebody. I’m just trying to figure out if he fell in love with a robot or if there’s somebody inside the robot. Determining what or who Dolores really is might be the key to understanding why she hasn’t just killed William or Bernard already. Why is Dolores spending so much time testing fidelity? The word is typically associated with marital fidelity. After William’s wife committed suicide, did he try to insert her consciousness into Dolores? If experiences create our reality and is what makes us human, where is the line that separates “us” from artificial intelligence? And should that matter?

"Who" is inside Dolores? I think this is the main question that may get answered in season 4.

@Mace Cooterian I'm working on the analysis of S4:E1 right now. Just check back at HoBaW in a few days...

Sorry Heretics. Just a little commercial for a program that I don't plan to air here. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming. LOL, See what I did there? I made a little Westworld joke there.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:33 PM, Melifeather said:

Feel free to start a thread. I like both shows!

Season 2 of Wheel of Time starts early next year. That would b a good time to rewatch season 1 and start a watch/review discussion.  I didn't finish reading the books but the show is fantastic.  I'm still waiting for my copy of Tolkein's letters which I think would be relevant to a discussion of Rings of Power.  There was a bit of a nerdpocalypse over the adaptation judging by what I saw on Youtube.  Something I would prefer to avoid.  In the scheme of things that really matter; The Silmarilion doesn't make my list.

HotD and RoP have filled my cup for a while.  I binged on pre-show and post-show livestreams and I can finally get a good night's sleep.  I did enjoy it quite a bit although there are some scenes I would have preferred not to have seen.  On some things, a bit of forewarning would be appreciated.

I just started watching the Expanse and I expect I will be baking up a storm come December.  The new year would be a good time for new ventures, unless Black Crow would like to change things up a bit,  until we get new stuff, that is.   

I'm keeping my eyes peeled at History of Westeros, In Deep Geek and Joe Magician for interesting tinfoil developments.

6 hours ago, LynnS said:

HotD and RoP have filled my cup for a while.  I binged on pre-show and post-show livestreams and I can finally get a good night's sleep.  I did enjoy it quite a bit although there are some scenes I would have preferred not to have seen.  On some things, a bit of forewarning would be appreciated.

RoP has been getting a lot of hate online, and I don’t really get it.  Granted, I don’t think it’s nearly as good as HoTD or Andor, but overall I think it’s fairly entertaining.  Now granted, I’m not an obsessive fan of LOTR, so maybe I don’t get as upset by any liberties they’ve taken with the source material (which I assume would be the Silmarillion) but the action and suspense scenes have been pretty good so far.  And the visuals on the show have been pretty amazing.

7 hours ago, LynnS said:

Season 2 of Wheel of Time starts early next year. That would b a good time to rewatch season 1 and start a watch/review discussion. 

Probably a good idea! I had already finished watching Westworld season 4 before writing the episode analysis, and it was even tougher considering that the show waited two years to drop the 4th season. I needed to rewatch a few episodes from season 3 to get the story back in my head to make sense of season 4. And I know I will have to rewatch season 4 again as I go along. Its a very difficult story to follow and make sense of.

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

RoP has been getting a lot of hate online, and I don’t really get it.

It's the creed that thou shalt not change one word of Tolkein's story no matter how unfinished, sketchy on details, or how many times he changed his own mind.  If he was alive today; he'd still be rewriting.  I'm not even sure what rights the showrunners actually have for the Silmarillion, if any.  

I recall Peter Jackson and Phillipa Boyens discussing their adaptation for LOTR and the choices they made.  I'm curious about the choices the RoP showrunners are making.  It seems to me they are well versed in the lore but not even Peter Jackson's team thought adapting the Silmarillion for cinema or television was possible.  

RoP is adapting only the portion of the story regarding the rings and they seem to be drawing on a number of sources including the Silmarillion, LOTR appendices and possibly even his letters.

I don't object to timeline compression or exploring some what ifs for the main characters.  What do we know about the Istari before they showed up in the 3rd age, by ship, besides nothing?  What was Souron-Snake-in-the-Eye like at his most treacherous and fair-seeming?  Why did the showrunners deliver the Stranger by meteor?  There must be a reason for that choice. 

I like to think they are doing homage to Christopher Lee who had an asteroid named after his character in LOTR.   

47 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

Probably a good idea! I had already finished watching Westworld season 4 before writing the episode analysis, and it was even tougher considering that the show waited two years to drop the 4th season. I needed to rewatch a few episodes from season 3 to get the story back in my head to make sense of season 4. And I know I will have to rewatch season 4 again as I go along. Its a very difficult story to follow and make sense of.

I'm afraid I can't really discuss Westworld. Is it HBO?  I remember a bit of season one and that it is a bit of a mystery box.  I know there are some podcasters who cover it.  I've also heard that it's losing audience share which doesn't bode well for the series.

3 hours ago, asongofheresy said:

Any monarchist/or royal watcher here that watched the Crown season 5? I am reading comments and reactions to the new season, personally it is boring since Diana entered the picture, but now I wonder how people would react to characters if they were fictional and not real people? 

I've seen it.  It is boring. :D

On 11/7/2022 at 2:50 PM, Melifeather said:

Probably because it was so hard to follow. :lol:

It wasn't. 

In my opinion Season 3 with the character played by Vincent Cassel and introducing Aaron Paul killed it.

It felt like "our story isn't good anymore but we have these actors.

Season 4 was much better except for episode 10.

The end of episode 9 with the clone of the Man in black leaving a destroyed utopia while David Bowie's "The man who sold the world" play in the background is my perfect ending for the show.

2 hours ago, alienarea said:

"The man who sold the world" play in the background is my perfect ending for the show.

You think it can end comfortably with the last episode of Season 4?  I didn't think I would be watching if it's just cut off.  I've only seen season 1.  Should I watch it anyway?  What do you think @Melifeather?

Here's something else for you Alien Area:

On 11/13/2022 at 6:53 AM, LynnS said:

You think it can end comfortably with the last episode of Season 4?  I didn't think I would be watching if it's just cut off.  I've only seen season 1.  Should I watch it anyway?  What do you think @Melifeather?

Here's something else for you Alien Area:

There was actually enough of an ending in the season 4 finale. I’m not sure where they’d go with a 5th season. It ended with the beginning of another simulation. Isn’t that a typical ending for science fiction?

Archived