Heresy 244 Big Scaly Beasties with Bad Breath

Black Crow

3 hours ago, Melifeather said:

There was actually enough of an ending in the season 4 finale. I’m not sure where they’d go with a 5th season. It ended with the beginning of another stimulation. Isn’t that a typical ending for science fiction?

Sounds like it.  At least it has some kind of ending, rather than abruptly cutting off viewers who have been following it.  It seems like four or five seasons is becoming the norm, for television.  I'm watching The Expanse now.  Edge of your seat stuff!  Which I am enjoying quite a bit, not knowing a damn thing about it.

What was your overall impression of House of the Dragon?  

7 hours ago, LynnS said:

I liked it. It worked, because the focus was narrow. GoT had too many separate stories going on simultaneously which D&D tried to condense, but it only upset the book fans. If you talk to people that never read the books, but watched the show - they liked it alot.

On 11/13/2022 at 4:49 AM, alienarea said:

It wasn't. 

In my opinion Season 3 with the character played by Vincent Cassel and introducing Aaron Paul killed it.

It felt like "our story isn't good anymore but we have these actors.

Season 4 was much better except for episode 10.

The end of episode 9 with the clone of the Man in black leaving a destroyed utopia while David Bowie's "The man who sold the world" play in the background is my perfect ending for the show.

I guess that must have been just me that was confused. :lol: I watched the entire 4th season before trying to analyze it. The constant deaths of the AI hosts and their rebuilds made it hard to keep track of not just the timeline, but who they were working for. Clementine switched sides multiple times depending on who rebuilt her. Some of the parks weren't physically real. They only existed in a simulation. So if you got all that the first go through, then kudos to you.

Serac (Vincent Cassel) and Caleb (Aaron Paul) were necessary characters to explain the entire series so I'm not sure why you thought they "killed" the 3rd season. 

13 hours ago, LynnS said:

Sounds like it.  At least it has some kind of ending, rather than abruptly cutting off viewers who have been following it.  It seems like four or five seasons is becoming the norm, for television.  I'm watching The Expanse now.  Edge of your seat stuff!  Which I am enjoying quite a bit, not knowing a damn thing about it.

10 hours ago, asongofheresy said:

@LynnS why do you think the latest season is seen as boring? 90s were a scandalous era for the BRF yet the viewers seem to think the episodes are dull. 

Well, the Diana, Charles, Camilla chapter has been done so many times now; it's not something that interests me.  The first three seasons were interesting for the various story lines and historical events.   Plus, I'm not really engaged by the acting this time around.   

On 11/14/2022 at 9:46 AM, Melifeather said:

I liked it. It worked, because the focus was narrow. GoT had too many separate stories going on simultaneously which D&D tried to condense, but it only upset the book fans. If you talk to people that never read the books, but watched the show - they liked it alot.

I have mixed feelings going into Season 2.  What the heck is Blood and Cheese?  Speculation is that the premier will feature the events around these 2 characters (?).   It sounds dreadful and I might just wait for the after show breakdown before watching it proper.

6 hours ago, LynnS said:

I have mixed feelings going into Season 2.  What the heck is Blood and Cheese?  Speculation is that the premier will feature the events around these 2 characters (?).   It sounds dreadful and I might just wait for the after show breakdown before watching it proper.

Blood and Cheese were supposedly hired by Daemon to kill King Aegon II's firstborn son, Jahaerys. Blood was a butcher, but he also was a sergeant in the City Watch and thus the connection to Daemon. Cheese was a rat-catcher in the Red Keep and thus had knowledge of all the tunnels.

3 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Blood and Cheese were supposedly hired by Daemon to kill King Aegon II's firstborn son, Jahaerys. Blood was a butcher, but he also was a sergeant in the City Watch and thus the connection to Daemon. Cheese was a rat-catcher in the Red Keep and thus had knowledge of all the tunnels.

It sounds wretched. :P  I don't think I want to be unsullied anymore.  :D

I've detoured into LOTR territory and I'm starting to understand this fading business.  I'm mining a lot of stuff from old podcasts.  Girl Next Gondor is really good.

Question:  Three rings for the elven kings -- who were the kings intended for the rings made by Celebrimbor.  They didn't end up with kings.  So why does Sauron's binding spell/ring verse mention kings?  And how did he discover these rings made without his knowledge?

On 11/22/2022 at 3:12 AM, LynnS said:

Is anyone watching The Peripheral?

This is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing! I'll be sure to watch. When I see stuff like this it makes me feel like we are being prepared for our own realization that we are living in a simulated reality. I view the Bible as a sort of instruction manual. The gospel of John states, "in the beginning was the Word" - the sound "OM". OM is the sound people meditate to and after the sound we have "let there be light". You push the power button, you hear the OM sound, and then the light comes on. The OM is also heard before every show on HBO begins - an extended Ooooommm! before it morphs into the sound of static. The power is turned on. The source of this power is within every one of us and we are connected to a great godhead-computer just like in GRRM's ASOIAF universe.

The precession of the equinoxes is scientific fact. The Earth wobbles in space like an out-of-balance top. Each full wobble takes about 25,765 years. The 25,765 years are broken into 12 ages which are named after the signs of the Zodiac so each age is roughly 2147 years or so. The position of the sun on the vernal equinox determines which age we are in. Referring to the Bible again, we are in the age of Pieces - the two fishes which are also associated with Jesus. Christians believe it has been 2022 years since he died. Varying sources put Jesus's age anywhere from 33 to 40 years of age so we are anywhere from 2055 to 2062 years into the age of Pieces meaning the age of Aquarius is only 85 to 92 years away. At the Last Supper his disciples asked who they should follow after he was dead and he told them,  "Behold, as you go into the city, there shall meet you a man carrying a pitcher of water: follow him into the house where he entereth in." The image for Aquarius is a man carrying a pitcher of water.

If you recall the story of Moses when he came down the mountain with the Ten Commandments, you might recall that people were worshipping a golden calf. The calf of course was Taurus and Moses was the leader for the age of Aries the ram. He was angry at the people for reverting to a past age when they should be moving into the "house" of Aries the ram. The Old Testament is full of examples of ram symbolism. The Old Testament are a record from the age of Aries and the New Testament are documents from the age of Pieces. When we enter the age of Aquarius we will experience enlightenment - a period of spiritual awakening. Republicans deride our "woke" culture, but it's very possible that we are living in a very sophisticated but simulated reality similar to what Lisa Joy and Jonathon Nolan illustrated with Westworld. Maybe our true selves don't even have physical bodies? True enlightenment will involve waking up and becoming aware of who we really are.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:28 AM, Melifeather said:

True enlightenment will involve waking up and becoming aware of who we really are.

That's interesting because Damian Walter says that the characters in GoT and HotD don't know themselves.

@alienarea  Here's a followup interview with Bear McCreary ;where he discusses and demonstrates thematic construction and clues us in on Sauron's theme.  It's also good to know that Season 1; which was primarily plot development, to get to a certain place in the story; will probably develop into a more character based story in Season 2. 

19 hours ago, Melifeather said:

For the Heresy Christmas edition, why don't we revisit Old Nan stories?

Yup.  Stories are like old friends.  You have to revisit them from time to time.

The video narrator is entertaining - set the shadow loose from the cooch - but I do like her interpretation of two of the Old Nan stories: the old tower hit by lightning, Bran falling, and losing his sight, and how Bran figuratively is the Last Hero with Hodor being his horse and Summer his dog, as well as his name meaning "raven" and that the Starks are supposed to send a raven or a Bran to the Children to become a greenseer, but the Children ended up with a Brynden instead. Good stuff in here!

1 hour ago, Melifeather said:

Good stuff in here!

The idea that the Starks are supposed to hand over a Brandon/Raven/Greenseer over to the COTF as part of their pact ever so many hundreds of years sounds right to me.  They have been waiting for him for 200 years, at least.

A Dance with Dragons - Bran II

Meera said, "You speak the Common Tongue now."

"For him. The Bran boy. I was born in the time of the dragon, and for two hundred years I walked the world of men, to watch and listen and learn. I might be walking still, but my legs were sore and my heart was weary, so I turned my feet for home."

The idea that Old Nan confuses her Brans or runs them altogether as the same character would fit with the notion that greenseers live past, present and future as one timeline.  Rather than being reincarnated; when a greenseer is joined to the tree; not only do they read the memories stored in the trees,  but they experience them as their own memories.  So all these memories run together and become part of Bran's memory and experience and all the Brans are one Bran.

Archived